main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone besides me prefers the PT to the OT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by astronaut23, Mar 20, 2016.

1. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    Sorry if this topic has already been posted.

I grew up with the OT being the only films out at the time but I love the PT. I love the whole saga don't get me wrong but the PT especially. The jury is still out on the ST since its not completed yet but I did like TFA…lol.

I was watching A New Hope on blue ray tonight and it is a true classic but I was thinking bout how I prefer the look of the PT to the OT while watching it. The PT is just absolutely beautiful. There is just so much in the backgrounds of those three movies. You can tell a difference in the level of movie making technologies of the times for sure.

And while I love Luke, Han, Leia, and Darth Vader the PT just introduced us to so many more characters and worlds that made the Star Wars universe so much larger than it was. Qui-gon, Aniken, Padme, Darth Maul, Dooku, General Grievous, Jango Fett, and yes even Jar Jar Binks…lol...many more along with new visually stunning worlds like Naboo, Coruscant, Kamino, Geonosis, Mustafar.

And I love the facts that the movies contained the politics and the Senate chamber with the moving platforms was really cool.

2. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    Yup, I like the PT much more. And yes I first saw the OT.
    But my favorite character are all from PT like Anakin, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul.
    What I like more about the OT is the fighting style from 5-6. I think those are better than the ones from the PT.

3. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    I have tried and I really can't compare the OT to the PT or vice-versa. Each movie in the saga is a product of its own time, the entire movie and even story limited by or as good as the technology available at the time and so you truly cannot compare movies made in 1970's and 80's to those made in the late 90's and early 2000's.

I wouldn't even compare TPM to ROTS, they are miles apart visually and that is a reflection of the updates in technology over just 6 years. As we all know Lucas is a visual story teller and he got better and better with each movie from Ep 4 to Ep 3 but he was still limited by the technology available at the time each movie was made.

I love the OT for what it is and I love the PT for what it is too, equally. Comparing them will be like comparing the original Planet of the Apes to the new ones. It just can't be done, they come from two completely different worlds.

Comparing the OT to the PT is like comparing puppet Yoda to CGI Yoda. One is slow, with jerky movements, quite obviously a puppet, yet looks real since it is real, while the other is expressive, acrobatic, more animated and more lifelike but looks less real since it is CGI from a time when CGI wasn't as advanced as it is today. ROTS Yoda is the best overall Yoda though, no doubts there, haha.

From all perspectives, be it story, visuals, sci-fi aspects, characters etc. both trilogies have their pro's and cons, limitations and advancements and neither is above the other, for me personally. I love both equally. :)

Maybe the only things I will say that the PT unambiguously excels at over the OT are the lightsaber battles, but then again, those were limited in the OT because of the technology of the times and the story (Luke not having any real lightsaber training and Darth Vader being an old cripple).

So you get the drift, I really can't compare them and enjoy each movie on it's own merits(the majority) and demerits(which are very few in all of the movies). :)

"Has the love of Star Wars blinded you?" - Padme
    Me - "Probably babe. No, definitely."

PS: My top two favorite SW movies are Episode 4 and Episode 3 and I love both equally, so you know I'm definitely not comparing them. [face_laugh]

PPS: I by no means am denying the fact that the PT has expansive visuals, amazing worldbuilding and a brilliant story and characters, but I'm not going to compare it to the OT and say it's 'better' or 'worse', since for me, it is meaningless to do so since they come from two completely different eras of film.

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Yes by a mile. PT is way superior to the OT in my opinion.

As for which I saw first, I saw the OT first, but this was after the PT was released, so I saw them all in quick succession. That might be part of it I never ha the chance to get overly nostalgic over it.

CoolyFett likes this.
  5. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Anyone besides me prefers the PT to the OT?

No [face_talk_hand]

Poe loves Rey and Nate787 like this.
  6. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    I get what yo mean about the look of the PT, though everything on TPM looks awful. Everything is so obviously fake. Jar jar, the gungans, the under water sections, the backgrounds, the tanks, everything, it all looks so fake.

The other two of the PT look so much better, the CGI has improved to the point where the children-pandering parts (a lot of the R2D2 and C3PO scenes) are the only ones that really look fake, perhaps a lot of the other scenes can be revealed as fake with careful analysis but it never distracts you and makes you think "such poor cgi and chroma key editing!" And as such never pulls you out of the story.
    I was a bit annoyed that the cgi in TPM hadn't been redone for the bluray releases, they could probably revamp all of the PT backgrounds and models to look amazing today if they so wanted, I'm sure.

I love the way the PT shows an illuminati-esque antichrist-like rise to power,depicting what many conspire theorists and religious sects fear happening in reality, depicted through the emperor, seeing all the ancient cities and planets of the old republic, the Jedi council, etc and how it it crumbled, the transformation of Anakin/Darth Vader from the warrior into a clunky menacing machine, the intensity of the force battles and light saber fights, and I loved the subtleties and clever twists throughout.

I hate the constant pandering to kids, mixed with the fact that it can get overbaringly political at times, and that there is too much farcical and slapstick, mainly in TPM (jar jar in the war against the tanks, the pod race etc), and that the best character (Maul) played such a minor role. It was important for him to die when he did because of the impact it had on the story going forward, but he should have had a few more scenes like Darth Vader had in the opening sequence to ANH, he should have been menacing civilians, cutting people down, leaving no trace of who was there as he left no witnesses, until he could finally reveal himself to the Jedi as he revelled in, and the line would make more sense, as in that case we would have seen him operating in the shadows and now he would be able to go public with his attacks and missions.

7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I still love the prequels but I saw the originals first. After Revenge of the Sith came out, it was my favorite SW movie for a while. But the originals I prefer slightly over the prequels. Not sure if it's nostalgia or not

8. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Yes I prefer the more shades of grey PT to the traditional good vs evil aspects of the OT. Though I do admit because of the PT it has enriched my love for the OT since its all now one story telling the beautiful but sad tragedy of Anakin Skywalker.

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Not even close...

Is it just me or are these threads the new way of sneakily dissing the other trilogies! ;)

Darth Downunder and Nate787 like this.
  10. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    I've been a huge SW fan since '77 when I saw ANH in theaters at 7 years old. Been an obsessive fan ever since. I can honestly say I prefer the PT. I don't know a damn thing about filmmaking....im not an artist, so I just know that I enjoy watching them more. Something about them keeps drawing me back. And that is no sneakily dissing the OT. I still love those movies too.

TFA doesn't even come close in my opinion.....I just consider that one of the EU books I read and didn't like. I'm ignoring it.

11. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I love both trilogies for different reasons, but I do prefer the PT to the OT as well. Most of my favorite characters come from that time frame. I also think because TPM was the first SW movie I got to see in the theater (I did see the OT first via VHS/laser disc) along with the excitement of those few years when the movies were actually being made... it had more of an impact for me. As others have said, there is something about them that makes me want to view them more often than the OT. They have more of a pull for me.

But much love to both! ^:)^

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, I prefer the PT. More interesting story and characters, and an elegant visual artistry that captures my eye like pretty much nothing else in the big action/blockbuster landcape. That's not to take anything away from the I-VI saga, though, and if I bend the rules and create my own idea of a perfect Star Wars trilogy it would be AOTC/ROTS/ANH.

13. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    The Force Awakens thread is a sneaky way of bashing the PT. Or not so sneaky, more like as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I saw the OT all the time as a kid. Watched the cartoon in the 80s and everything. And I liked Star Wars ok. TFA got me to rewatch everything as an adult, and the PT made me a real fan. Does that mean I don't love the OT now? Hell no, I love it! Would I have loved it without the PT? I don't know, but I don't think I'd be on a Star Wars posting board about it.

The PT represents my favorite Star Wars and my least favorite Star Wars. It's polarizing and compelling and there's more every time I see it. The OT is a great, forward thinking franchise that I literally have danced to at the end. Both are fantastic. For me, if the preference question is asked, I go to characters, and I'd rather have Anakin and Obi-Wan on my screen than anyone else (by a small margin because Luke is adorable). So that's my preference I suppose.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I prefer the OT to the PT but the EU content helps me appreciate the PT era a lot more.

15. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I was 4 years old when TPM came out, so the PT is what I grew up with. I remember as a kid being terrified to watch ESB, between the AT-ATs, the space slug, and carbonite freezing it gave me nightmares :p So between that and having that there for me (I probably have watched TPM 200 times by now) I always felt more of a draw to the PT.

16. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    The PT is more action packed, has a less silly romance since the two in the OT were inbreeding, and a love story of a girl who kept man hopping, one of which was her brother and a guy who whines when he doesn't get the girl and acts like a creeper worse then Anakin in episode 2.....I think star wars needs to avoid romances all together, but the OT, while better at toys is not as good. Each film is the best in some respect at something, but the PT was just better despite growing up with the OT first. I do think tfa is great, I get why people are disappointed though.

PT is funnier, the characters are more believable, the action nand music is better, more advanced CGI, more practical effects actually if you care about such things.....IDk PT fans seam more mature online. You never see them going to OT videos to bash on it. We're all fans of star wars, enough of the acting like you're a god if you bash three movies you weren't forced to watch and that ended over a decade ago.

But the OT had better toys....I mean seriously better toys. <3 Maybe it's because I was a kid with the OT and didn't get that many PT toys besides episode 1's toys.....but the OT toys were just better in every way for me personally.

17. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    To me, they are all the same. PT, CT, ST- its all the same long movie.

18. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    I like both the PT and the OT, and also enjoyed TFA and can't wait for the next two films to come out, but I do prefer the PT because I liked seeing the Jedi in their heyday. Numerous characters such as Pre-Vader Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, Qui Gon, former Jedi Dooku, Ahsoka, and all the other characters from TCW series. Whereas in the OT, the Jedi are all but extinct with the exception of very few individuals(Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke).

19. RX-77

RX-77 Jedi Padawan

Jan 13, 2016
    I think the OT is more consistent in quality.However the PT for me gave us some great action and characters and made the star wars universe so much bigger.ROTS is also my favourite film of 1-6.

20. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    I love the PT. I was the perfect age for all those movies. 11 when TPM came out so I loved the tone and liked Anakin. 14 When AOTC came out so I knew all to well how nervous you can be around women and say something stupid and 17 when ROTS came out, by then almost a man and with a great interest in movies and mythology. So I will always love them for how they made me feel.

That said I can see the awful acting. Not just HC but Natalie Portman too. She is the worst actor in the PT in my opinion. A stronger would not have stood for such flat performances. But Lucas did some great stuff too. I just saw Batman V Superman last night and what strikes me a lot lately is how big and loud the final actions scenes. Lucas knew how to direct action my personal favorite being the asteroid dogfight in Ep2. They are so ful of thrilling moments and mordern movies do not compare in my opinion.

In terms of story depth there is no comparison the PT is so rich, with so many great characters. The problem was the characters were not given adequate screen time in the movies to become as beloed as the OT characters. This has led me to the opinion that Lucas wrote the PT with the EU in mind, knowing that the great authors/artists/game designers would flesh them out.

To summarise I love the PT for its scale and its ambition but you have to acknowedge that the OT was better directed

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  21. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    I still think the OT is better because the character development/dialogue was superior even though even in the OT it wasn't perfect. I still think though that ROTS is better than ROTJ and is my third favorite star wars movie so I wouldn't say I completely prefer the OT to the PT.

AshiusX and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm at a bit of a loss.

For ANH and ROTJ, I have a couple videos or dvds.

For ESB, I have two carrier bags filled with 19 UK and international vids.

PT, I loved when they came out, and I'm on here defending them to this new generation of recent bashers; but for some reason, I was never inclined to get their dvds...so I am aware that there is something missing from the PT, but I cannot put my finger on it.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  23. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    I forgot to mention, another thing I liked about the PT era you had numerous Sith such as Sidious, Dooku, Maul, Plagueis. Then other dark side users such as Ventress, Savage Oppress, Talzin and the Nightsisters, and a cyborg villain like Grievous. And we also got to see Mandalorians during the same era in TCW.

Darkslayer and CoolyFett like this.
  24. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    Most of my favorite Star Wars characters come from the PT. Qui-gon, Anaiken, Padme, Darth Maul, Dooku, General Grievous, Jango Fett just to name a few. Yeah even Jar Jar along with Captain Tarpals and Boss Nass…lol.

Darkslayer and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  25. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    PT for me too. Love the OT, ST but the PT is where my hearts at.