Anyone considering the novel?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by NorCalBirdz, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone here considering reading the novel? I am pondering it, leaning more towards no, but still thinking about it. I like books as an entertainment medium just as much as film, and while it will spoil the movie, it won't spoil the story.

I dunno, I probably won't do it, I want to be absolutely blown away by every image laid before me on May 19th, it's just so tempting to be able to read the actual, final story more than a month earlier...so very tempting...
  2. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Sure, I am considering it. AFTER the movie...
  3. obi1jedinite Force Ghost

star 2
    not a chance before the film, and probably not even after the movie comes out, unless i hear its really awesome. i was completely disappointed with the aotc novel.
  4. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'll read it after the movie probably.
  5. marajadebean Jedi Knight

star 2
    I will buy the novel on the 2nd but I will not read it until after the movie. Actually, depending on how much I see ROTS the first few days, combined with watching the OT again, it might take me that long to actually start reading it.

Really, the wait won't bother me. I graduated in December and being the English major I am, I don't read books right now as much as I used to, a real book burnout. So the wait won't be a concern.

I did find the article in Insider #81 to be quite intriguing and it was spoiler free. It was interesting to hear of the way things changed because of Lucas changing the cut of the film.
  6. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I most certainly would NOT compare the ROTS novelization to that of AOTC. From everything we've heard, from people who have already heard/read the book, it's really, really good. Stover is one of the very best EU authors.
  7. Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I most certainly would NOT compare the ROTS novelization to that of AOTC.

Phew! AotC was one of the worst books I've ever read. [face_plain]

Oh, and I'll buy it this Saturday but won't read it until I've seen the movie.
  8. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm definitely reading it after I see the film 2 or 3 times.

Here's the excerpt from the OS:

Revenge of the Sith Novel Excerpt

Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

By Matthew Stover; Based on the story and screenplay by George Lucas

A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY. . . .

This story happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

It is already over. Nothing can be done to change it.

It is a story of love and loss, brotherhood and betrayal, courage and sacrifice and the death of dreams. It is a story of the blurred line between our best and our worst.

It is the story of the end of an age.

A strange thing about stories --

Though this all happened so long ago and so far away that words cannot describe the time or the distance, it is also happening right now. Right here.

It is happening as you read these words.

This is how twenty-five millennia come to a close. Corruption and treachery have crushed a thousand years of peace. This is not just the end of a republic; night is falling on civilization itself.

This is the twilight of the Jedi.

The end starts now.

INTRODUCTION: The Age of Heroes

The skies of Coruscant blaze with war.

The artificial daylight spread by the capital's orbital mirrors is sliced by intersecting flames of ion drives and punctuated by starburst explosions; contrails of debris raining into the atmosphere become tangled ribbons of cloud. The nightside sky is an infinite lattice of shining hairlines that interlock planetoids and track erratic spirals of glowing gnats. Beings watching from rooftops of Coruscant's endless cityscape can find it beautiful.

From the inside, it's different.

The gnats are drive-glows of starfighters. The shining hairlines are light-scatter from turbolaser bolts powerful enough to vaporize a small town. The planetoids are capital ships.

The battle from the inside is a storm of confusion and panic, of galvened particle beams flashing past your starfighter so close that your cockpit rings like a broken annunciator, of the bootsole shock of concussion missiles that blast into your cruiser, killing beings you have trained with and eaten with and played and laughed and bickered with. From the inside, the battle is desperation and terror and the stomach-churning certainty that the whole galaxy is trying to kill you.

Across the remnants of the Republic, stunned beings watch in horror as the battle unfolds live on the HoloNet. Everyone knows the war has been going badly. Everyone knows that more Jedi are killed or captured every day, that the Grand Army of the Republic has been pushed out of system after system, but this --

A strike at the very heart of the Republic?
    An invasion of Coruscant itself?
    How can this happen?
    It's a nightmare, and no one can wake up.

Live via HoloNet, beings watch the Separatist droid army flood the government district. The coverage is filled with images of overmatched clone troopers cut down by remorselessly powerful destroyer droids in the halls of the Galactic Senate itself.

A gasp of relief: the troopers seem to beat back the attack. There are hugs and even some quiet cheers in living rooms across the galaxy as the Separatist forces retreat to their landers and streak for orbit --

We won! beings tell each other. We held them off!

But then new reports trickle in -- only rumors at first -- that the attack wasn't an invasion at all. That the Separatists weren't trying to take the planet. That this was a lightning raid on the Senate itself.

The nightmare gets worse: the Supreme Chancellor is missing.

Palpatine of Naboo, the most admired man in the galaxy, whose unmatched political skills have held the Republic together. Whose personal integrity and courage prove that the Separatist propaganda of corruption in the Senate is nothing but lies. Whose charismatic leadership gives the whole Republic the will to fight on.

Palpatine is more than respected. He is loved.

Even the rumor of his disappearance strikes a dagger to t
  9. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
  10. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    I will read it right after I see the movie, not before. At least I'll try. :p
  11. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Eh. I'm not much impressed by that excerpt, to be honest. I don't like the Mary Sue-ization of Anakin and Obi-Wan (they can fix anything! everyone knows them and loves them!) or the melodrama at the beginning. If this is any indication of how the rest will be, I might pass on reading even the first couple of chapters before seeing RotS.

On another note... Depa Billaba fell to the dark side?!?! :eek: I TOLD you that red lightsaber was significant! I was saying that in, like, 1999! :p
  12. PatttyB0123 RSA Latin America

Manager
    star 6
    I am reading the book right now. :( I could not wait.
  13. Ana_Labris Jedi Master

star 4
    I dled the audio-novel and will buy the paper one as soon as I can, but I'll probably listen to the audio-novel on my way back after the premiere (7 hours in the train.. )
  14. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Beth: It's in Shatterpoint... it's an awesome book.

And I've already "read" the ROTS novel, in the form of the audio CDs that Wal-Mart was giving out early. I'm gonna buy and read the actual book this weekend though.
  15. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I LOVE that excerpt, it's making it even harder not to read the book now.

Obi-Wan and Anakin are depicted exactly as they should be at the end of the CW. In the eyes of the public they are the Repubic's greatest heros, unambiguously and without question. But things are not what they seem. That's the great irony of public perception. And Stover, in true Shakespearean prologue style, tells you what's up despite appearances.
  16. Shmi02 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Definitely after ROTS. Despite all my best efforts, I feel I already know too much about the movie. I'm not even going to buy the book after I see the film-- I don't think I'll be that strong!
  17. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I have a rule that I like to follow:

If it was a movie first, I must watch the movie before I read the book.
    If it was a book first, I must read the book before I watch the movie.

I just can't understand ruining the story of the movie you've waited your whole life for by reading the novelization first.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!
  18. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Agreed.

The red lightsaber, Mara - are you referring to Adi Gallia in the Jedi Power Battles video game, or some other reference?

I wanted Plo Koon to have an orange lightsaber in AOTC.:(
  19. Darth_Michael Jedi Master

star 2
    Aside from having read the others. That one is by Stover and it is Star Wars. After Traitor, is there any way not to read it?
  20. obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll read the book, but only after I watch the movie. I haven't stayed spoiler free for this long, just to ruin the surprise by reading the novel first.
  21. Queenie Amidala Force Ghost

star 5

Amen. Excellent point.

I have really enjoyed the SW novelizations, after I have seen the films. They add a certain depth and a different perspective that I enjoy. But, after all, it is only a book. I am so careful not to spoil myself for that one special 2 1/2 hour viewing when I have no idea what is going to happen. Why would I waste that on a book that I can read anytime?
  22. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Depa Billaba fell to the dark side?!?!

Read Shatterpoint by Stover!

-Seldon
  23. DarthIshyZ Force Ghost

star 3
    I'll buy it as soon as I can and read it as soon as my wife is done with it. Honestly, I don't see reading the book as "spoiling" per se. After all, the story is being presented in the order GL wants it to be presented.

In my mind a spoiler is something that gives away an essential part of the story beforehand. If I read the book from cover to cover, I'll get it as it was meant to be presented, in more detail, as a matter of fact.

The movie, to me, is simply a visual way of presenting the facts that the book presents. If I read the book, I can know the backstory and be able to concentrate on how the movie is being presented: acting, visuals, cinematography, etc. I'll also be able to understand esoteric references that are explained in the book.

I've done this with AOTC, Jurassic Park and (the play) Phantom of the Opera. Haven't had a problem with it, yet!
  24. Ana_Labris Jedi Master

star 4
    OK, I admit, I listened to the first 9 tracks, but it didn't give away anything, only made me want to see it all in action. I suppose I had enough willpower to stop myself before any major plot points showed up.
    [/rant]
  25. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6

Book April 2.

Movie May 19.

Better hurry and read the book, Windy. :p

I'm going straight to B&N after the movie to read a bit and I will have ordered it via library before I go see the movie so I can read all of it within the next week.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.