main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone considering the novel?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by NorCalBirdz, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I bought my ROTS tickets and the first book of the New Jedi Order today. I figure I better get caught up on the EU because that's all Star Wars is going to be after May 19. I'll probably get through four or five NJO books before May 19. Then its Episode III book splurge time.

2. zenwave

zenwave Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    Here's a really dangerous question to those who've read the book:

How far could one read before getting spoiled?!

I picked up a copy today, and I'm thinking of playing with fire . . .

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    If you know the opening of the film, read up until they meet Dooku.

Don't read anything if you can help it, but if you know how the first 15/20 minutes goes, you can read that far.

4. zenwave

May 30, 2002
    Thanks Garth . . . now, on to test my willpower!

5. NorCalBirdz

Dec 28, 2004
    Don't read anything if you can help it, but if you know how the first 15/20 minutes goes, you can read that far.

I've been considering that for awhile, but it was about a week long battle for me to resist reading the novel, and I'm not about to open that door again.

6. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    After 3 weeks of resisting temptation, I'm still trying to resist. I finally got to putting a cloth over my book shelf to cover the books so I can't see them and hopefully won't be tempted.

And not just the book anymore but the whole lot of it. I have the descriptions on the back of my action figs that I haven't read, wanting desperately to get the trading cards, wanting desperately to see E3 avatars, and then not to mention all of those E3 articles in the SW Insider magazine. I'm dying here!!! I need counseling and support. I am inches away from turning away from being spoiler free.

7. NorCalBirdz

Dec 28, 2004
    I had the exact same dilemna as you. Every night I would pick up the ROTS novel and stare at it, read the Introduction, and simply stare at the "Part 1" page(I did read that little poem before Chapter 1)

What I did to defeat my temptation was to imagine how mad and angry with myself I would be on May 18th waiting in line to get into the theatre. And once the countdown went into the thirties, I realized we were basically only a month away and it would be foolish to go to the Dark Side now.

Hope that helps.

8. zenwave

May 30, 2002
    Well I just finished Chapter 1 . . . it was a nice little taste, without any spoilers, but I will now put the book away until May 20th!

9. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Wow, I must have really good self control. The novel, visual dictionary, art of and the first two comic books have just siting on my desk in plain view for weeks now.

I haven't thought of looking at them once. :eek:

10. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Look you guys have to realize that the only real way to stay spoiler free is "Out of sight, out of mind." Staring at the novel for 30-something days is not going to be a pleasant experience. Just put it away and you will soon forget about it... for now. After you see the movie you will be proud of yourself and a happier person.

Mr. P

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I admit it. I've read the first chapter so far and I might let myself read just a little bit further before the movie comes out. So far I haven't read anything I wasn't expecting, though.

12. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I don't understand why someone who is spoiler-free would even buy the novel. It's not like they will be in limited supply after the film is released. You're just playing with fire and you are going to burrrrrrn.

13. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I haven't thought of looking at them once.

See, I reckon that it's easier to resist the book once you've brought it.

In the shops they put them in eyecatching displays to draw people in.
    Whereas at home they're left on the side and don't get thought much about.

For me it hasn't been as hard resisting the book as I thought it would be.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, I think it's funny how you all rushed out on April 2nd to buy the ROTS merchandise then let it sit there, tempting you, like a big, shiny, red, candy-like button, wanting you to press it.8-}

It will all be worth it May 19th when you are absolutely blown away.

Then, after you've seen ROTS a few times, you will enjoy the novelization, the Making of and the Art of.

You will enjoy them more having seen the movie first, than the other way around.

15. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I don't understand why someone who is spoiler-free would even buy the novel.

Well, if it's available at Sam's Club for the price of $14.46 for what will probably be a limited time... ;)

In case you're wondering, I have indeed bought the novel--thankfully, it's currently sitting idly in the back of the family car.

I've read the introduction, the poem at the beginning, and skimmed through Chapter 1 to read at least the character descriptions, avoiding what was actually going on in the beginning.

16. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    BauconBatista posted on 4/17/05 5:30am
    [i]I don't understand why someone who is spoiler-free would even buy the novel.[/i]

Well, if it's available at Sam's Club for the price of $14.46 for what will probably be a limited time... [face_wink]

[hr][/blockquote]

It'll be in the bargain bin in a few months [face_tongue]

17. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I don't understand why someone who is spoiler-free would even buy the novel.

For me ever since I first heard of the release of the novel I just knew that I had to get it on the release date. And what made it great was that I bought the very 1st copy of the novel at our bookstore (while everyone was storming the shops for the toys). I think I'll be okay now since I finally got around to putting a cloth over my book-shelf ot hid them. But even know I keep getting dreams about what will happen. I woke up like at 3 last night because of that "aweful" dream. When will this tortue end?!

18. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    SWJaggy posted on 4/17/05 6:14am
    [i]I don't understand why someone who is spoiler-free would even buy the novel.[/i]

For me ever since I first heard of the release of the novel I just knew that I had to get it on the release date. ......But even know I keep getting dreams about what will happen. I woke up like at 3 last night because of that "aweful" dream. When will this tortue end?!
    [hr][/blockquote]

That urge to get the book asap has come back to bite you on the ass now, hasn't it? ;)

19. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Unfortunately it has. I am hanging on by a string as it is. But I can't allow myself to be seduced by the dark side. It destroyed me once and I don't want it to destroy me again.

20. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Learn the SPOILER side of the FORCE.NET and you will achieve a power GREATER than any USER!!!

21. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Learn the SPOILER side of the FORCE.NET and you will achieve a power GREATER than any USER!!!

That's mean slobadog! :p Don't you know that I'm hanging on by a string as it is?! I will not let the dark side defeat me.

22. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    Garth - It seems you're quite spoiled on the movie - and you seem to have a VERY positive opinion of it now. In fact a lot of people who are spoiled have had a very positive reaction. I'm trying to remember - was the hype for AOTC this positive before it came out? Because I can't remember. I really hope this movie blows people away myself.

23. NorCalBirdz

Dec 28, 2004
    Learn the SPOILER side of the FORCE.NET and you will achieve a power GREATER than any USER!

Bah.

Learn to know the Non-Spoiler side of FORCE.NET and you will have a feeling GREATER than any spoiled user on May 19th!

24. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    oLiquidRusho posted on 4/17/05 1:11pm
    Garth - It seems you're quite spoiled on the movie - and you seem to have a VERY positive opinion of it now. In fact a lot of people who are spoiled have had a very positive reaction. I'm trying to remember - was the hype for AOTC this positive before it came out? Because I can't remember. I really hope this movie blows people away myself.
    [hr][/blockquote]

The hype for AotC was fairly positive. But do remember that a lot of spoiled people don't take into account the fact that a number of scenes (indeed, sometimes their favourite scenes) are usually cut.

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I remember before AotC, a lot of people who were more spoiled than I was told me how lucky I was to be able to go into the movie with no expectations, but in a way I think they had a more positive experience of it than I did. Some of that is probably due to stin's reasons above. I also think knowing at least a bit about the movie in advance can whet one's appetite for more. If a person is really spoiled, they're already going in feeling hyped up about seeing one scene or another they know is going to be great, and I think they catch more of what happens than a non-spoiled person does, if that makes sense. When you're busy trying to follow what's happening, you don't have quite as much excitement to spare. That's been my experience, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.