main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone considering the novel?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by NorCalBirdz, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    When you're busy trying to follow what's happening, you don't have quite as much excitement to spare.

I agree. When AOTC came out I was excited but not nearly as 10x as excited as I am now for ROTS. And that's because for AOTC I was to the Nth degree when it came to spoilers. I read the novel twice before seeing the movie and read everything I could get my hands on. Not this time though. I think this is the most excitement I've had in over my entire lifetime.

2. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Hehe...

The spoiler side of TheForce.net is a forum with many threads some consider to be unnatural.

As for why someone spoiler-free would buy the book, because it was £9.96 and I like to take advantage of bargains.

And I haven't been remotely tempted to read the book, which is odd.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hmmm....if I wasn't a mod, I probably wouldn't be this spoiled.

I'm guessing I would have watched the trailers, but that's it.

But for me, seeing finished footage has always been far more exciting than reading about a spoiler.

SW is always melodramatic and visually stunning.:D

4. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    As for why someone spoiler-free would buy the book...

I know what you mean. When I first heard about the novel coming out it was a Must Have! And being the person that got the very first copies of the ROTS novel and the Making of ROTS well that in itself is an honor (at least for me anyways) :)

5. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    On Garth's advice I went ahead and read the first chapter. I gotta say, this author is very talented. He writes with a very personal style. Generally that type of style is hard to pull off without seeming kinda hokey, but this guy pulls it off and it gives the writing a great flair. I loved it.

As for the chapter itself, unless you're HCSF you probably know what the first 20 minutes or so of the movie revolves around, so there's nothing really spoilerific at all. I guess it's just a matter of principle on how spoiler-free you want to remain on whether or not you want to read it or not.

6. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
  7. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    HardCore Spoiler Free. They know almost nothing about the movie. Don't watch trailers, don't know any official info...nothin.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hard Core Spoiler Free.

I'm not recommending ANYONE read ANYTHING from the novelization, but if you can't stand it, the first chapter won't kill you.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Read the first half of the novel or so. It'll whet your appetite for the movie all the more! Come on, you know you want to... [/dark side voice] :p

10. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    The closer the days get the easier it is to resist the temptation for some reason. It should be the other way around shouldn't it. LOL!

11. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    "Search your feelings...you know this to be true!"

12. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeeks!

I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!

Here i was laughin at you guys in my ep.3 book free house and now my parents get me for my birth day the

EP: 3 novelization!!!!!!

NOW I'm with you guys also hangin on by a thread!!

13. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Ok, I'm weak and I bought it today. Though I don't plan on reading any of it, even the first chapter. ;) I only did it because I thought I might need it at C3, to get signed or whatever. And because I have to be on a plane for like 6 hours on May 20th, I'll have something reeeeallly good to read. :D

14. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    One of Stover's book signings is going to be only a few miles from me (UCLA), so I'm going to have to get a copy to be signed. But it shouldn't be that hard to refrain from reading it. I have plenty of willpower.

Well, some.

Enough, at least.

15. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Us novel fans have to stick together. We must resist the tempation no matter how hard it is. But now that many of us are going to be hanging on a thread we might as well hang on a rope since it's thicker :) and there are more of us.

16. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Read the first half of the novel or so. It'll whet your appetite for the movie all the more! Come on, you know you want to... [/dark side voice]

Noooo! Did you give into the dark side, Mara?! :eek: :_|

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm trying not to, but it's HARD, dammit! [face_laugh]

18. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    It might be hard but, 'we were made to suffer. It's out lot in life.'

The reason that spoilerees can't handle not being spoiled, I think, is because the risk of temptation is far too great so they sucum to the dark side quicker and easier. [I mean just look at us it has been 3 years and most of us are at least 5% if not less spoiled.]

We non-spoilerees use our willpower despite how difficult the journey might be. We have the strength to stay on the non-spoiled path we just need to use it and harness it, now more than ever with the days becoming shorter.

Listen to that little voice inside of you; the one that is telling you, you can hold out. We can do this. Just believe.

19. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Read Just the First Page. thats all.

I think I can hold out. I think i can do it.

20. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Dont' give in Mara. [face_devil]

21. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I have a friend, completely spoiled, and he bought the book yesterday. He's all ready read the first chapter and now he wants me to read somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd chapter because there is a huge spoiler.

I'm not giving in though. He even said that he would bring the book tomorrow and Friday so he could tempt me. Not going to work! After all what's another 29 days.

The reason I gave him as to why I won't read the book is because I don't want to get any images in my head and he seemed to agree with that descision (sp?)

Come on everyone. We have to stick together, now more than ever. We can make it!

22. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Yes, do not give into temptation. I actually reorganized my bookcase in here yesterday and *gasp* I brought up my ROTS novel and the Making of Book. But...I have my fan perfectly placed to cover the books so really, they are still out of sight, out of mind. I feel like saying one of my fave Homer lines, "I am so smart, I am so smart! S-M-R-T! I mean, S-M-A-R-T!"

Less than a month. We all can do it! Now May 3rd, the soundtrack, much more deadlier than the novel.

I think we all should start considering about when we're going to post our reviews and have a big *omg* chat afterwards. Anyone interested? May 19th: I sense something...a lack of sleep I haven't sensed since....uh, no I didn't watch ANH today...nope. :D

23. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Less than a month. We all can do it! Now May 3rd, the soundtrack, much more deadlier than the novel.

I plan on getting the soundtrack but I will not take it out of the packaging. I'll wait until after I see the film because I don't want to get spoiled by the music. The cover is no problem as I have seen the poster art before. Nothing to damaging.

I think we all should start considering about when we're going to post our reviews and have a big *omg* chat afterwards. Anyone interested?

That would be great. Friday (when I get home from school) or Saturday would be good for me.

24. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I saw the novel at a bookstore last week and I just had to touch it. :p Fortunately, my fiancé was with me and he stopped me from reading any of it. ;)

I read the AOTC novel before watching the movie and it took a lot away from from the viewing. I really don't feel like repeating that experience so I refuse to even look at anything else that could potentially spoil something for me.

25. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Marajadebean,

I think the idea of a "review" thread is a good idea. I think as long as whoever starts it makes it "official" and clearly states "Movie review discussion ONLY" in the title so no one that hasn't seen it yet will read it by accident. Just my thoughts. I think we will still be separate from the 3SA for a month or so after the movie comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.