main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone else afraid Disney is going to pretend the prequels don't exist?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Mar 11, 2013.

1. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I've had this fear ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm, but now that the Clone Wars animated series has been cancelled, I have to ask: is Disney going to ignore the prequels from now on? George Lucas has been a huge driving force behind the series and even rabid prequel haters have praised the show. But now, I'm having this feeling that Disney wants to make the general public forget about the prequels and instead emphasize the connection between the Original Trilogy and the new films. Look at all the reports of the OT actors making an appearance in Episode VII. Am I wrong about this being the case?

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I do think with the sequels coming out, Disney is definitely going to emphasis the ties between the OT and the new movies.

As to "forgetting about the PT" I will say it is a possibility. There is this inaccurate perception that no one likes the PT and wishes to reboot it. The reality is that many hate the PT; many like it, and many love it.

3. Scars Unseen

Scars Unseen Jedi Padawan

Feb 28, 2013
    When the prequel movies came out there was a huge focus on the Clone War era. When the Sequel Trilogy is released, that focus will pass. This is the way of things.

Game3525 likes this.
  4. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    No, but I'm afraid they will pretend Star Wars doesn't exist.

5. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    I really doubt they'll pretend they don't exist - but until we know more about the next movie, we won't know just how much or little they'll acknowledge the prequels or the OT for that matter... There may only be throwaway references to the past - I imagine Luke will say "My father was a great man" or something similar. But its just impossible to call right now.

I love some of the speculation/pipe dreams about a storyline concerning the return of Sifo-Dyas... so that would hugely tie to the PT. Possibilities are endless!

EDIT: And if Samuel L gets his wish to return as Mace, we can probably expect to see Spirit Windu and possibly Spirit Obi-Wan and/or Anakin! Hell. We'll probably end up with a war of the force ghosts if they really wanna bring back some of the old cast.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think it will happen, though there's always the possibility.

7. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well it's not something that keeps me awake at night.

8. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    I think it's inevitable to some extent. The entire point of the PT is that it's the backstory to the OT. Some things will obviously be referenced but there is going to be much more significance given to the events of the OT than the PT. As it should be, VII is a sequel to Return of the Jedi, not Revenge of the Sith.

I'd be much more worried about the possibility of revised editions of the PT to be honest.

9. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I don't think the PT will be mentioned,

but not because of "bashing" simply because there is no one around to reimnisce with

---

C-3PO: remember that time i thought i was dreaming in that sandy arena?

R2: beep beep (you hd your memory wiped.._

C-3PO: oops

----

Jar Jar: wasa time meesa steeped in doodoo,

---

seriously how can they "ignore it?"

by not mentioning it? itwould be weird if they did..

so i don't understand the question to be honest

Rawne likes this.
  10. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    No. There will be PT references in the ST. I do feel that it may be possible that they pretend the EU does not exist.

11. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    As long as they use locations like the Senate, the Jedi Temple or anything on Coruscant, the PT is thus referenced.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, fortunately they can't. They will be focusing on Episode VII's timeframe.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    If they were ignoring the prequels, IV-VI would be renamed I-III and VII-IX would be called IV-VI.

I'm not worried about it.

14. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Pretty much this.

It is 1999 all over again and it is only logical Disnay would focus on the post-ROTJ era then they would on the PT era.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    They aren't ignoring the prequels.

By titling it episode VII, they acknowledge that there was a I, II and III.

16. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    In terms of chronology and continuity, no. Artistically, almost without a doubt. And despite their intentions, whether they’re realize it or not, I wager this will apply to the OT as well.

17. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    This is a true concern of mine that Disney will not give I-III its full credit because they buy into what frustrated PT bashers were repeating for the past 14 years (instead of moving on with their lives and focusing on things they actually like).

Already with this video, which was posted right around the time Disney had acquired Lucasfilm, titled "The Rise, Fall and Redemption of ANAKIN SKYWALKER, the focus is hardly on the PT anymore, merely +1:00 of 5:00 minutes glances over Anakin's character arc, ignoring the most crucial moments in his development that contributed to turning a hero into a villain. All just to get to the OT as quickly as possible.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this one clip. Maybe the editor was biased, had little time to do this, or just didn't care to tell the story that matters.

18. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn't use the word "afraid"...

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I'm afraid that you're right. I hope you're not . . . but it doesn't look good at the moment.

20. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm more afraid of how the movie will turn out at the moment. It's funny. People were saying how terrible a script writer and director George Lucas is, but when there is a new writer and director at the helm, people seem to worry more. I guess it's better to go with the known than the unknown...

21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not afraid of the PT era having little to no references as much as I'm hoping for it.

Aside from set pieces like the Jedi temple and Coruscant, I think we'll be seeing as few PTisms as possible. Thank god.

22. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think Disney will stay away from the aspects of the PT that didn't go over well with movie audiences. The midiclorians, the prophesy, the virgin birth. I don't think they will openly contradict the PT, but I think that they won't shine a light on those things either.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I get the feeling, like the PT, a chunk of the ST would be set on Courscant if only that it would be the "home base" for whoever has the seat of Galatic power, which would be the good guys by now, probably. So it would totally be there, yes.

24. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    As long as they don't contradict anything that happened in them, I will be fine with them not referencing the PT.

I mean, all signs point towards the ST being a good forty years {at least) after Ep3. So it's not like the PT will be current events on everyone's minds.

25. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Given what's going on with 1313, First Assault, TCW, and everything else lately I'd put nothing past them

Begun, the Dark Times have...

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.