main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone else afraid Disney is going to pretend the prequels don't exist?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    Oh Christ, PLEASE make this happen.

Jcuk likes this.
  2. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    It would definitivly seam that way but I think that just as the OT hasn't been the main focus the last years I think the prequels will wound up in a similar spot when the sequels have started coming out

3. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe and maybe not. I don't know if you can put the CGI genie back in the bottle, but I do think that he may be more careful in using the technology to create realism rather than always going for a fake looking wow moment.

4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Me too. Saw a funny interview with Ewan a few years back when he was asked about being in Star Wars and the whole blue screen thing. He said the classic was the last scene where he hands over Luke. He said he had to sit on a green box that he said looked like an old gymnastic horse thing and motion from side to side like it was moving. So I'm holding the baby, there's some actors over there (points) and George is out of shot saying 'Look at the moons!!!!' Cue confused looks in every direction from the actors. Lol

Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    You guys do know that there's a reason why the PT looks like it does, the PT is according to the story (and logic) supposed to be the "golden age" the period when everything is good and awesome before the great evil (Sidiou's Empire) descends, it's like comparing the height of Imperial Rome with the Early Dark Ages.

On the other side there's a reason why everything in he OT looks the way it does, the galaxy's been through a war and after that a military dictatorship that concentrated all the resources into well the military.

Now the OT side may cloud your vision so that you prefer Fett's armor to Jango's and it's your right to prefer it,but logically speaking unless in the OT there are hidden upgrades Jango's wins as it is in better shape.

That is what annoys me to no end, when people take something that makes sense from a story perspective and chose to disregard it as simply "GL sold out, he doesn't know what he's doing" for example the Anakin/Padme romance are the lines clunky, is the chemistry off, is Anakin a creep and Padme ignores this yes but:
    • Anakin is part of a monastic order where the hell do you think he's going to get advice on how to express your love in a healthy/mature/smooth fashion ?
    • Padme spent her formative years in politics, trying to contend with politicians, sure she has more of a ideea what a normal relationship should be but not by much.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm talking about JJ's fondness for nostalgia and what that may mean for ideas like Light Whips.

He also has a history of blending practical sets and shooting locations rather than depending on CGI. Look at Star Trek to see an example of it.

7. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    How incredibly refreshing is it to be treated like uninformed idiots. Thank you for that.

Jcuk likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Listen ok. I didn't even MENTION the PT right. All I expressed was the preference of Fetts Mandalorian armour over Jango's. then you put ya little twist on it so you can get all ya little buddies to like your post for sticking up for the PT. pathetic and it ain't clever.

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    As to newness vs oldness in the new trilogy, that will depend on what type of story they want to tell. We don't know what their society is going to look like. We can't assume anything in that regard.

Maybe there is a new republic, maybe the galaxy is splintered and in chaos. Revolutions are messy, the end result can be messy.

I'm hoping that is what the new movies explore, the struggles in putting together a society after the overthrow of an oppressive regime.

Jcuk likes this.
  10. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Yeah, sorry about completely ignoring Mace in my previous post. But let's be honest, he was the ONLY exception granted by Lucas. Even Nick Gillard wasn't granted his yellow saber, so Lucas was fairly firm about this.

And there are the yellow sabers in TCW, but I'm just talking about the movies here.

11. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    To the OP's question, the answer is 'NO'.

12. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    I did say it's your right to prefer it, but better can also imply mechanically/structurally/ from a engineering point of view better and I repeat what I said unless there have been hidden upgrades the PT armor is better as it's been through less wear and tear.

Yes, yes who am I to defend the PT on the PT forum, oh the heresy.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Show Disney/Lucasfilm we care by voting for prequel characters in their character tournament:
    http://starwars.com/this-is-madness/index.html

Currently its Obi-Wan versus Han and Maul versus Vader. The Obi-Wan avatar they use is the prequel era, so I consider that a vote for the prequels.

14. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I agree with your point, but it also ruined one of the unique things about the Star Wars galaxy that we all loved, even on a sub-conscious level -- the worn, used look.

George even uses it subtly in the PT, pay attention to the floor of the Jedi Council chambers. It starts out pristine and shiny in TPM and by ROTS it is dirty, scuffed, and worn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Oh god I am so glad Obi-Wan beat Han Solo!

I really hope the final is Darth Vader vs Obi-Wan

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh dear god, now it's Ahsoka vs. Chewbacca... can we just vote "They kill each other at the same time"?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It has not been lacking at all.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It didn't ruin anything because "the worn, used look" was present on all three prequels. And like the real world (and the original trilogy), not everything has a "worn and used look".

19. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I think that half the issue was that in the OT, we generally only saw planets that were typical of that - Tatooine, Dagobah, Yavin, Hoth, Endor, space fleets. In fact, in the OT (particularly the special edition) when we see Bespin, that doesn't really have a worn, used look about it. The whole place is pristine. In fact, I think that the OT's Bespin would wind up looking very similar to the PT's Coruscant if they had the appropriate CGI back then.

In any case, I would be hugely annoyed if they disregarded the PT. For all the complaints about it, some of the best moments of Star Wars exist in those movies, and I would be equally disappointed at them trying to reboot the PT than if they tried to reboot the OT.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Disney is literally destroying everything Lucas about Star Wars. Stopped the 3D, cancelled Clone Wars & Detours, and now just shut down LucasArts - and fired everybody.

I was happy about Disney taking over, but with this news & the fact that they've hired the geriatrics to come back, I'm not happy anymore.

21. janstett

May 29, 2004
    I think it could potentially be great. It means they're eliminating the nonsense and getting back to basics.

Think about what Steve Jobs did when he came back to Apple in 1996. He eliminated the distractions (Newton, OpenDoc, Cyberdog, Mac clones, printers, game console). He reduced the Macintosh product line from 11 models to 3. And focused on a few key products like the candy colored iMac. And then slowly, purposely, started building new ones strategically one at a time -- OSX, iPod, iTunes, switch to Intel, iPhone, iPad, et al. FOCUS and TIMING. In fact I'm willing to bet Disney's management has Steve Jobs' methods in mind since they bought Pixar from him which made him Disney's largest share holder.

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Most of it makes perfect sense actually, if people just stopped for a minute to think about it.
    There is no need to rerelease existing moives as 3D if we've got a ton of new stuff coming in. Just a waste of time and resources.
    Clone Wars could have been let to run their course and wrap things up in one last season, but to be fair, it's their own fault they let themselves get sidetracked by meaningless long story arcs that had nothing to do with the main story.
    Without one or two exceptions, LucasArts hasn't made a decent game in like 10 or more years. Outsourcing games to developers that actually, you know, develop could in fact result in more and better games. I mean, the best Star Wars games I've played for the past 10 years have actually been fan made mods for other games.

I really dunno why people overreact to every single change and shuffle they see. It all makes perfect sense, and is a good move, in my view.

Jcuk and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  23. janstett

May 29, 2004
    It's just more proof that Lucas was wandering off into the weeds.

The right time for Clone Wars was in between the theatrical releases of AOTC in 2002 and ROTS in 2005. Not afterwards.

Especially not with all the plot holes it needlessly creates, such as how many times Anakin and Dooku meet in TCW yet we are told it's only twice in the movies, what happened to Ashoka, et al.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't see any correlation to what you think are meaningless story arcs and the fact that the series was cancelled. It's not their fault that the series was cancelled, and the series wasn't cancelled because of any particular story arc.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    No, what I was saying is that it was their fault that they didn't wrap up the main story due to diving into unnecessary three- or four-episode arcs about frogs and droids.