Anyone else ahving this problem with Geocities?

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by Lyart_Triath, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyart_Triath Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah I know Geocities is a lousy free-server these days (can anyone even remember when they were good?), but I figured since I didn't update all that often that I could live with using file-manager and not having FTP access for the redesign version of my fansite; I've had a old Geocities account sitting around for ages and figured about time to use the old thing for something. Well I noticed that when I upload files with the file-manager words that weren't typoed before end up typoed. When I work on pages I spell-check at least four times before I post to my sites (the exception being when I have to post from back-up files that haven't been editied yet, which has happened at least 3 times with my SW site, another reason for moving it). So I went to post some updated pages, and I found extra letters added radomly to some words-- with no obvious pattern to it-- and at least 2 or 3 links changed to refer to the main geocities sign up page, not to the pages they were linked to. This is a new glitch, I take, but I was wondering if anyone else was having this prob?
  2. Heather_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    If you're getting an index surver you might have lost your index.html. All you'd have to do is rename one file(hm) with it. If you already knew this forgive [face_blush] However I used the pagebuilder, not html editor. As far as I know nothings been wrong with the geocities sites, but then again, that's me :)
  3. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    jjsa used to be at geocities but it didn't really work out for me. the success of a good website means finding the right host that works for you and your website.

my suggestion: brinkster.com no uploading errors. everything is easy and, there's an .html codebank.
  4. Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master

star 4
    just get away from them as soon as possible. i was with geocities before yahoo joined em. they were not bad back then.
  5. Darth_Imran Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I know Geocities is a lousy free-server these days

I think you just answered your own question. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.