main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Anyone else encountered the Don't Dial 90?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by jada_marnew, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I just got the following email and I'm always suspicious of everything that comes across reporting the lastest bug, virus, etc. But this one has me wondering. Has anyone else heard about this?

90# on the telephone

PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
    I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying
    himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on
    telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch
    nine(9), zero(0),
    the pound sign (#), and then hang up.
    Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#,
    you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line,
    which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone
    number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local
    jails/prisons. I have also verified this information with UCB
    Telecom,Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this
    information with EVERYONE I KNOW.

PLEASE pass this on to everyone YOU know.

If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are
    connected with, I encourage you to pass on this information to them.

After checking with Verizon they said it was true, so do not dial
    (9),zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up for anyone.

2. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow I never knew that jada. weird. I hate scams. At work I've gotten a couple calls asking me for the serial number on the back of our copy machine. So I ask the people, why do you want that, what company are you from (cause they were implying they were from Xerox)...they end up just hanging up. You know when they won't even tell you what company they are from that's a bad sign. :p

3. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Cut from Snopes.com:

Is this scam possible? Technically, yes. This trick can work with business phone systems or switchboards where pressing '9' is the signal to obtain an outside line, and where there are no restrictions placed on outgoing calls. (As many of us know, our employers' phone systems are often configured to prevent us from making long-distance calls from our desks.) We can't give any more definitive information than to say that this is possible, since there are so many different types of phone systems all throughout the USA and the rest of the world.

Do you, as the average residential or cell phone customer (in the USA, at least), have to worry about this scam? No, not unless your home phone requires you to press '9' to obtain an outside line. Otherwise, the only result you'll obtain from trying this is likely to be a fast busy signal. However, this isn't to say you shouldn't be wary of phone scams at all. Telecommunications fraud is a rather unfortunate, yet common, occurrence in today's high-tech age, and there are many ways that someone can run up your phone bill without your knowledge. This particular scam is usually directed towards businesses, government agencies, and universities. It is known as "social engineering," where a caller convinces you that they work for the phone company (usually AT&T or your local Bell company) and somehow gets connected to an outside line, where they can run up significant charges. Every phone system is slightly different, and it takes a different combination of numbers to be able to transfer a crook into high long distance bills.

4. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Ah! Thank you Delta Source for your response . . . Oh! I meant IA ;)

5. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    You know what? Ninja IA just rules. I mean he carries a knife, bleaches his hair blonde, occasionally comes to events wearing blood red contacts...AND he can find information on anything.

NINJA IA WE [face_love] YOU!

Now you need an action figure and a fan club.

P.S. How do you like the name Ninja Array? Don't know why...that just popped into my head. I think I shall call thee Ninja Array from hence forth. Or do you still prefer Master of Time and Space?

6. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Now you need an action figure and a fan club.
    [face_laugh] nice.

I like "Ninja Array", that's good Wenchy. :p
    I prefer Spikey-san, myself though. ;) :p
    It works whether he's in blondie bear spike mode or afro hair bebop spike mode. lol

7. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    OOOOHHH! Spikey-San! I like that one too!

You know there's not many guys around that can pull off the whole Ninja-Bebop-Thrawn gig AND manage to have a girlfriend at the same time.

Another testament to the prowess that is IA.

8. Tobar

Tobar Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2002
    I know where one could get an action figure made.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.