main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by T_H_X_SKYWALKER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

T_H_X_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2002
    To me it is turning in to a menace,
    anyone else think so? Or is it just me?

T_H_X

P.S.

TO ALL MODS:

You may lock this if it does not belong here

Thanks! :D

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    There is less activity here than before, but it's still quite active.

I think the reason it seems less active is there aren't thirty new threads every day like there use to be :D

3. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

Aug 10, 2002
    I think your right ST :)

4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    It's because most people are starting to make the transition from this forum to the Episode III forums.

-SWIG

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm not going to lock this... yet. ;)

I'm going to seize this opportunity to try to get some feedback...

"To me it is turning in to a menace"

What do you mean? How is it "turning into a menace"?

Questions for everyone else:
    1. Why do you visit this forum?
    2. What do you like about this forum?
    3. What do you dislike about this forum?
    4. What would you like to see changed?

If you don't feel comfortable discussing this stuff in the open, feel free to send me a PM. :)

6. dexters

dexters Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    The darkside that is.

7. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

Aug 10, 2002
    "What do you mean? How is it "turning into a menace"?"

Everyone fighting, not geting along, people calling other people trolls, just becasue they did not like AOTC. Other people saying AOTC was such a bad movie {Its fine if they did not like it, but can't they say
    "It was not that good to me" Or "IMO AOTC
    could have been better"
    :)

Maybe using the term "Menace" was wrong.

Sorry for starting this YodaJeff

8. dexters

Dec 26, 2001
    YodaJeff is a StarWars hating troll.

:)

9. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    [color=336699]As long as the AOTC at the Box-Office thread is still around,
    the AOTC forums will still be kicking ass
    8-}

~ICeBReaKeR[/color]
    He has never been cooler...

10. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    I'm holding out that all the movie forums are going to get better. And maybe some of the people who were scared off and forced to actually go other places to talk about the movies they like will come back.

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I have the feeling the Classic Trilogy, TPM, & AOTC forums will get more active after Episode III comes out. After the excitement of the last SW film comes and goes, more fans will want to discuss issues surrounding the other SW films more often.

12. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    [color=336699]You know...that makes me wonder...just how long am I gonna be posting on these boards?! 3 years from now? 5? 10?

Yikes...
    [face_shocked]

~ICeBReaKeR[/color]
    He has never been cooler...

13. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "1. Why do you visit this forum?"

For the same reason I visit the other forums. To read and occasionally participate in the topics at hand. However, I spend less time in here than in any of the other movie forums, due to the overall tone of the place.

"2. What do you like about this forum?"

It is devoted exclusively to discussion of AOTC.

"3. What do you dislike about this forum?"

In my opinion, the AOTC forum is the new "problem" forum of the JC. Not only does nearly every thread degenerate eventually into an unpleasant "basher"/"gusher" conflict, but the forum also seems to be dominated by roving bands made up of particular problem users who, be they "basher" or "gusher" have made it their mission to apparrently go out of their way to antagonize the "other side". Obvious troll threads are routinely set up to attract responses from "the enemy" and when those responses start to come in, they are met by organized opposition in the form of coordinated flaming from a handful of like-minded posters. These troublesome groups seem to be made up of a particular few members who claim to want to discuss the films, but appear to spend all of their energy on discussing the posters. It is this atmosphere of single-minded devotion to eliminating the dissenting opinions of others that has made the AOTC forum the least hospitable forum in the entire JC, both for long-time users and newbies alike. I rarely visit these forums, and even more seldom do I actually participate in the discussions to be found here. The reasons outlined above are why.

"4. What would you like to see changed?"

In addition to closer moderation, as well as the users themselves taking responsibility for their own behaviour and for keeping the Mods informed of problems as they arise, I feel that the key to making the AOTC forum a better, more civil place is to follow the example of the TPM forum and institute the establishment of Sanctuary threads. I spend most of my time in the TPM forum and have found that it is the most civil and respectful forum on the boards, and yet it also encourages healthy debate, dissent and disagreement. These are the cornerstones of meaningful discussion and the Sanctuary threads make it possible. By allowing "Bashers" and "Gushers" to have a place that is understood by all to be "holy ground" it allows both sides to engage in discussion with like-minded members without having to constantly bear the burden of defending their views from attacks by those with opposing viewpoints. Every other thread in the TPM forum is fair game for open debate, and that is where we go when debate is what we're looking for. The Sanctuary threads allow us room to breathe when all we want to do is talk, as opposed to debate. The resultant atmosphere is far more comfortable, respectful and productive than anything else that I have seen on these fora.

I sincerely hope that one day, I will feel as comfortable in the AOTC forum as I do in the TPM forum...but today is not that day.

14. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    I disagree, the Classic Trilogy Forum is the best of the movie forums. There's much more peace around there, than any disguised peace going on in the TPM or AOTC boards. There's an occassional setback, but it's handled well. Both the TPM and AOTC boards need to gain that peace that the Classic Trilogy Forum has. Does basher/gusher even exist in that forum? Nowhere near the amount it exits in the other two. I love the Classic Trilogy but right now the prquels are the hot topics, they are going on now. I'd love for them to be inviting like the Classic Trilogy Forum instead of driving people away from TF.N permanently, or out the movie forums exclusively.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm not a big fan of the words "basher" and "gusher". I'd prefer it if everyone was called a "fan". You should be able to like certain parts of the movie and dislike others, without having to choose which side you want to be on. I'm assuming that everyone here likes at least part of one of the Star Wars movies, which makes them a fan.

I don't see how Sanctuary threads can help discussion. Discussion prospers with opposing viewpoints, something that you're not going to get in a Sanctuary.

16. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I thought the AOTC was going down because of a total disregard for proper mod-patrol in here. There was a time over a few weeks where there wasn't one full-time mod in here, which IMO is totally inexcusable.

Fortunately, the arrival of YodaJeff, along with closer watching by QS has rectified this issue. At least now, trolling threads are locked down in more timely fashion.

I have done my best to respect YodaJeff's wish (in my own posts) to avoid using the B/S terms. But objectively speaking, I have noticed more people on the "negative side of the fence" coming into AOTC threads and making baseless and unintelligent posts that do nothing but fan flames. Have people on the other side of the issue been any more mature? Not in some cases, I'll grant you. No "side" is holier than thou in this instance. But having consistent modding that calls things down the middle and treats everyone the same is the best thing that could happen to this forum. It's been getting better in the past week or two and hope that trend continues.

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I still want to see TPM and AOTC forums merged.

18. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    Good point, if the Classic Trilogy stands together and not seperate, why are TPM and AOTC not together? The movie's out, the DVD's out. The reasons to talk about AOTC exclusively were there, but not so much anymore it seems. A merge in the future would be good. Sometimes a prequel topic is neither here nor there, it encompasses both.

19. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

Aug 10, 2002
    After much thought, I desided to do the questions YodaJeff asked everyone else:

"1. Why do you visit this forum? "

Because I love all the Star wars films,
    and I want to talk about Star Wars with
    fellow fans. :)

"2. What do you like about this forum?"

Again, being able to talk with fans of Star Wars, I like the look of them next to other movie froums. It is the bigest forum I have ever seen on the internet. :D

"3. What do you dislike about this forum?"

Members seem to be on two sides, starting threads just to make other members mad.
    people are always starting threads when we have so meny on the same subjust.

"4. What would you like to see changed?"

EDIT: Like Jedi knight Pozzi
    and bjbrickm, I think TPM and AOTC forums sould be both in one forum :)

20. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    I felt that this forum was rediculous some months ago and left it. Then I came back thinking that perhaps the bashers had found something better to do... I see they have not.

I think it proves something too... Star Wars fans have become a joke... a joke that those who hate us and those who pretend to be us love telling over and over.

This forum is becoming a big joke.

RB

21. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002

Because I enjoy talking (well, writing) and reading about Star Wars, and, for this forum, AOTC in general.

There are some wonderful threads well worth reading in here, some of the posters here are very helpful and always entertaining, and if you ever wanted to read or talk about Attack of the Clones on this site, this is the place to be, obviously. However...

I don't come to this part of the forums as much as I come to the others; AOTC is my second favorite movie but the overwhelming mood of this place is so negative that frankly, it's depressing to visit here too much.

I'm too tired to really go into detail, but just a few points:

-most topics here become little more than Basher vs Gusher wars.

-some members here do nothing but bait people from the "opposite" side of the basher/gusher war, even if the topic at hand isn't related to their bait

-until recently, the moderation has been so loose there wasn't even a full-time monitor on board

What would you like to see changed?

If it would take away the Basher/gusher wars, I would like to see sanctuaries, I guess. Though personally I find the idea of a basher or gusher sanctuary ridiculous, if it stops threads from generating into mindless drivel, I'm all for it.

22. dexters

Dec 26, 2001
    I think Star Wars as a community is a lot of fun.

It's not difficult to find someone who enjoys Star Wars. At least in my age group (late teens, early 20s) But it's just fun reading crap people throw at each other in here. And I'm not above it.

So yeah, Star Wars PT is a disgrace. Go home guys, it's all over :D

j/k

23. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    This forum is just a different beast than it used to be. It's ridiculous to expect it to be as much fun as it was in the days of spoilers and speculation. Now certain things have been discussed to death, and no matter what you are going to have the basher/gusher thing, sorry but it's simply unavoidable.

However, this forum still has it's entertaining moments, and there are enough intelligent people who post here that decent discussions are bound to pop up once in a while.

;)

24. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Questions for everyone else:

After discovering that there was a place where I could go to read about what other fans thought about the Star Wars movie(s) and culture, I was hooked . . .

There have been a few very intelligent discussions and observations about AOTC that I hadn't thought of before - the point of discussing a movie like this is that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole - brain-share across the world, via the forum, allows for opportunity to validate one's own opinion.

As previously mentioned, there seems to be a lot of "pooh-flinging". What I don't like is to have to sift through a thread looking for those few gems of real thought and observation that I haven't noticed, etc.

4. What would you like to see changed?

There is a segment of users who desire the perceived "fame" or auspiciousness of starting a thread and hoping it becomes the next "hot thread", getting hits like unto the Box office thread. It becomes a competition. The easiest way to get a lot of hits is to "fling pooh" because it will generate a response.

Perhaps the solution is to have a mod assume the duty of redirecting new threads to old one's on the same topic - I mean, how many different, yet slightly reworded, threads are there about Mace Windu?

Ok - I'm done. My 3.1415 cents.

25. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Razorback summed it up best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.