main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by T_H_X_SKYWALKER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    well speaking for myself.

I like the discussions best here, and I find AOTC the most interesting to discuss.

The CT forum and the TPM forum are pretty dull, and those films have been discussed to death, and I'm spoiler free for ep3, and I find the non-spoiler forum pretty dull. So this is the hot spot, though I also frequent the fanfilm forum as well.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Meanwhile we should be enjoying this time before the final SW movie debuts, but many of us have gone elsewhere because this "fansite" has become more of a hater site."

I'm still able to enjoy this time. I'm never going to get tired of discussing AOTC, and you can never speculate about Episode 3 too much.

"When is something going to be done?"

To quote GriffZ above, "What do you propose the administration does to correct this problem?"

Also, I'm not going to accept "ban all the bashers" as an answer. They have a right to not love every moment of Star Wars. They don't have the right to flame others or turn things into a personal argument. Nobody has that right, and I try to punish everyone fairly. I think part of the problem is that some "gushers" think that they should be able to say whatever they want if they are defending the film. Feel free to defend the film, but don't flame others in the process.

"The basher/nit pickers have ruined it."

How so? I'd like to think I'm doing a good job of trying to keep people on topic and under control. However, I'm always open to suggestions.

"I hate coming here now... I show up like once a month... then get agrivated when someone complains about the shoes mace widu wore, and I leave."

Nobody is forcing you to read every thread. Personally, I keep up with every thread in this forum. It's my way of knowing what is going on around here. If you don't think a thread is interesting, move on to another thread. Trust me, there are interesting threads out there.

3. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    RS, perhaps the people who have left could tell you why you and several others have ruined the fan experience on these boards, if only they were still here to do so. [face_plain]

Shoot, if you read carefully in the thread he started, no not even carefully, just casually, you'll see that JediRandy tells why. All the constant topics of negativity. For every one positive topic you create RS, you have nine basherific ones. Just scroll through the latest threads you've started in this forum to see the truth.

Actually, look better and you'll see you bash the same things over and over which is in fact in direct violation of the basher/gusher policy that PadmeBra drew up and is linked to in the top post of this forum. Let's take a look at what the policy has to say:

"It's kind of tricky telling people that they can't criticize a specific movie in the saga. If they bash SW in general then of course they have no reason to be here but if they are SW fans but criticize a specific movie then yes, I think it's just stating an opinion on one aspect of a saga to which they are a fan.

I do agree that to chronically hang out in the forum and spout the same things over and over again and finally insulting the people with opposing opinions isn't acceptable and is the sort of thing we're going to get rid of.

I don't like the idea of Greedo firing first and I expressed that maybe 5 or 6 times during my times here. But I don't hang out in the OT forum and belabor the point and insult the people who did like the scene. So, I believe I had the right to express my opinion, but not to make a "career" out of it."

You and several others RS have "made a career" out of bashing. You have belabored us with the same constant bashing. It is reckless. You chronically hang out and bash. Good posters leave disgusted. I wonder how many have personally left because of you alone. If only they were here to tell us.

RS, you ask for examples of me participating in good discussion of SW? Here are just a few samples. You know I spent plenty of time saying good things about the prequels, so quite playing dumb for one thing.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10299853&start=10301633

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9863616&page=1

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10283409&start=10288576

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10263329&start=10263843

and on and on

Griffz asks for proposals, of which I have accrued plenty:

From most recent to the first:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10995139&replies=12

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10387917&start=10390542

Ooh look, something from ealier on is this very thread:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9639259&page=3

My debut in trying to make these boards a better place:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9412941&page=1

4. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "RS, perhaps the people who have left could tell you why you and several others have ruined the fan experience on these boards, if only they were still here to do so."

Well a group of former JC members did leave and started their own site where there was a fair amount of bashing being done towards a number of people here. Sadly I was not included in the festivities so I inquired why, and wa told that they respected me so that was why. I was shocked, but thats what Shelley said.

"Shoot, if you read carefully in the thread he started, no not even carefully, just casually, you'll see that JediRandy tells why. All the constant topics of negativity. For every one positive topic you create RS, you have nine basherific ones. Just scroll through the latest threads you've started in this forum to see the truth."

So what? I was dissappointed with the film so thats where my thread topics are likely to go, if someone thinks the meadow scene is fantastic they can start a thread about it, personally I like that scene, so I'd be likely to chime in and agree. However witht he queen Jamilla scene I'd be likely to disagree, I gage the tone of a thread before I post, if it seems the sort of place where people just want light chat and to talk about mutual praise of a scene/character/element, then if I don't agree I'll pass it by. However if a thread is more prone to debate,t hen I'll join in. But i never post in threads I don't like.

"I do agree that to chronically hang out in the forum and spout the same things over and over again and finally insulting the people with opposing opinions isn't acceptable and is the sort of thing we're going to get rid of."

Well I don't think anyone should insult anyone else. I try not to be redundant, but I'm not perfect, thats why I count on mods to determine what is redundant, obviously if people are responding to a thread there is interest so its worth keeping open.

"I don't like the idea of Greedo firing first and I expressed that maybe 5 or 6 times during my times here. But I don't hang out in the OT forum and belabor the point and insult the people who did like the scene. So, I believe I had the right to express my opinion, but not to make a "career" out of it."

If you check my post count, its quite low considering I've been here since '99

"You and several others RS have "made a career" out of bashing."

I'm not sure what you mean, I was and still am a big fan of TPM, and I have defended it to many people. and I love the OT. And I do enjoy AOTC, I just find it to be very substandard compared to the other 4 films.

"You have belabored us with the same constant bashing. It is reckless. You chronically hang out and bash. Good posters leave disgusted. I wonder how many have personally left because of you alone. If only they were here to tell us."

Indeed, I'd be curious to hear these comments.

"RS, you ask for examples of me participating in good discussion of SW? Here are just a few samples. You know I spent plenty of time saying good things about the prequels, so quite playing dumb for one thing."

I didn't ask for examples, I said lead by example, if you beleive the film is good then keep making threads and posts to enforce your view, show your love for the movie and discuss it to the best of your ability. Everyone benefits from good discussions and interesting topics.

5. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Thinking things over a bit this morning, I have to conceed that bjbrickm is right in his statement, it is hypocritical for me to log on and continually discuss a movie I found to be less then stellar.

And if indeed I am driving people awy from tf.n that was not my intent, but I apologize and its not something you'll have to worry about again. I'm going to make amends by politely bowing out.

I've had a lot of good times here, and I hope others will have a similarily enjoyable expirence in the months and years to come.

Take care.

RS

EDIT: BJ and my detractors, please don't bash any newbies becasue you think they are just me with a sock, you have my word I will not do that.

6. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    While I haven't always agreed with RS, he was one of the more level-headed posters here for the most part, and he will be missed.

bj, while I am not unsympathetic to the issues you've brought up, I feel like you may have posted them in the wrong PT movie forum. Without sounding like a kiss-***, I think YodaJeff does a fine job of maintaining civility here and keeping redundant threads to an absolute minimum. Also, all opinions are welcomed and encouraged here, which doesn't seem to be the case in other places.

Plus, if you were going to pick on a "basher," you had many more deserving of your venom besides RS, who at least backs up his opinions with structured and intelligent arguments, however much I disagree with him sometimes. The same cannot be said for many others.

RS, I hope you find a few days away from here refreshes you, as it did me.

7. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    After being inspired by Obi-Wans investigative work in AOTC, I traked the RS farewell thread back here. I would just like to add that RS opinion on why he doesn't like AOTC creates some really good debates in this forum. His posts are never just plain bashing of the film, he always backs up his comments with reasons why he feels this way. It would be very boring to have a discussion about AOTC with everybody blindy loving it. Its the difference of opinion around here that makes discussion in this forum the best. It doesn't suffer from the needless bashing that TPM forum suffers from. I also cannot believe that RS made people leave the forums. As I stated before his comments are always backed up with his reasons. There are many, particularly in TPM forum, where this isn;t the case. We see nasty remarks that there is no need for, and we never get a reason for why the person thinks like this. If people leave becasue of RS then I guess they really didn't get to mingle with some of the other posters around here.

8. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    After being inspired by Obi-Wans investigative work in AOTC, I traked the RS farewell thread back here. I would just like to add that RS opinion on why he doesn't like AOTC creates some really good debates in this forum. His posts are never just plain bashing of the film, he always backs up his comments with reasons why he feels this way. It would be very boring to have a discussion about AOTC with everybody blindy loving it. Its the difference of opinion around here that makes discussion in this forum the best. It doesn't suffer from the needless bashing that TPM forum suffers from. I also cannot believe that RS made people leave the forums. As I stated before his comments are always backed up with his reasons. There are many, particularly in TPM forum, where this isn;t the case. We see nasty remarks that there is no need for, and we never get a reason for why the person thinks like this. If people leave becasue of RS then I guess they really didn't get to mingle with some of the other posters around here.

9. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    YAY! my first double post :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.