main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by T_H_X_SKYWALKER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    That's YOUR opinion Rebel Scumb, You Lucas hating Anti-Christ.

;) J/K

I agree that the DVD coming out is leading to more intelligent discussion, if only because everyone has a source of reference to cite and give examples from when debating. (Except those who say they refuse to buy the DVD of course)

2. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    But I think also people aren't remembering AOTC with stars in their eyes anymore, they can watch it and judge it objectively, which has lead some to be more harsh and others to be more accepting. Before the dvd there were way to many people who posted "this movie is the most perfect movie ever" type posts. Now there's some real discussion going on.

3. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I must admit that I thought AOTC was the most perfect movie ever after my first few showings. Since then i've wised up. However I still maintain that it's my favorite movie ever.

4. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Everytime I watch AOTC I enjoy it more and find fresh nuances in the story and characters. I feel sorry for those who don't, but I guess debate keeps this forum alive :)

5. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    I agree. What gives? Do Scott and Josh hate Star Wars now, or what? Are they tring to be "even-handed" by posting a news article every time some internet loser calls the prequels crap? Or do they want to rile up the fans, and have them write nasty emails to said internet losers?

What DON't You understand? Why is it so inconceivable that some Star Wars fans don't just run around yelling everything Star wars is cinematic perfection? I like the way good and bad news is posted; that way we get an even view of peoples opinions on Star wars at large. If someone posts negative arrticles about AOTC, so what? What difference does it make to you?

6. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    If someone posts negative arrticles about AOTC, so what? What difference does it make to you?

Read my signature yodaschum, apparently I'm not old enough to give anything out. ;)

7. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    The thing is I never hailed it to be the perfect movie and that it could have no wrong. The only thing that made me want to constantly highlight all the good parts was to counter all the incessant negativity. I can't speak for everyone, but this is why there was a great deal of "AOTC is the most awesome thing ever!" talk because of a decent number of ridiculously biased reviews that offered no constructive criticism.

However, just as people didn't have enough time to see past the fact a new SW was out, and play it up, there were also people who didn't give the movie a chance at first and automatically played it down. Both sides are guilty of this, not just one.

How does this effect the board? We've all had time to stop worrying about either a) raising AOTC to porportions it is not (it's good no doubts there, but not the most awesome thing to hit cinema) in order to counteract the negativity or b) jump on the negative bandwagon for various reasons all of kinds, but here's one --> because it's "embarassing" to like the prequels. (i.e. when Anakin said this, I was so embarassed, boo hoo, I'm embarassed over fictional characters now, boo hoo, etc.) you get the picture or c) fall somewhere in the middle.

We need to all strive for that middle ground, within reason. And let's face it, calling Lucas a hack is not in reason. We've all established that to be here you should be a SW fan of AT LEAST (the very **** least [face_plain]) one SW movie. Something more reasonable is admitting Lucas' style of the prequels doesn't fall in line with what you are/were hoping for.

It's strange because the TOS tells us to be acknowledge differing opinions, yet at the same time you can't let people's opinions get to you. I am guilty of this. As I said, because of all the negative reviews (despite a good number of reasonable ones) I felt the need to constantly highlight the good parts of AOTC. Likewise, people need to stop worrying about what others think about them liking SW. Since when should you be embarrassed of what comes on the screen? You're not the one who made the movie. Don't feel forced to hate SW because some people around you don't like it. That is weak. The only person you should have to answer to about your SW fandom is yourself.

In short, people need to acknowledge various opinions yet at the same time not let them get to you, because both sides are guilty of this right now.

8. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    Why should I care if TF.N posts links to SW is dead, and top fifty cold people in Hollywood?

Because this a FAN SITE. Say it with me one more time. FAN SITE. Good. Once more because somehow I don't think it sunk in ... FAN SITE. OK, when TF.N posted links to all the reviews (good or bad) back in May that was RELEVANT. It offered both sides of the opinion, and that's fine. But the important thing was it was relevant. SW is certainly not dead. Posting an article about it on the front page of a FAN SITE is not relevant. Neither was the fifty cold list or whatever the crap that was.

The thing is I had to minimize the Force.Net when my five and half year old brother came in the room because he understands what Star Wars is dead in big bold letters is. His reading is getting better. I could hear him now, "What do they mean Star Wars is dead?"

When TF.N starts to impede on the dreams of children, that's where you've got to draw the line. [face_plain]

9. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Because this a FAN SITE. Say it with me one more time. FAN SITE. Good. Once more because somehow I don't think it sunk in ... FAN SITE. OK, when TF.N posted links to all the reviews (good or bad) back in May that was RELEVANT. It offered both sides of the opinion, and that's fine. But the important thing was it was relevant. SW is certainly not dead. Posting an article about it on the front page of a FAN SITE is not relevant. Neither was the fifty cold list or whatever the crap that was.

I have to agree with this.

10. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "I must admit that I thought AOTC was the most perfect movie ever after my first few showings. Since then i've wised up. However I still maintain that it's my favorite movie ever."

Word up. I don't think that the starwars trilogy are the best movies ever made, but they are my favorite movies.

"The thing is I never hailed it to be the perfect movie and that it could have no wrong. The only thing that made me want to constantly highlight all the good parts was to counter all the incessant negativity. I can't speak for everyone, but this is why there was a great deal of "AOTC is the most awesome thing ever!" talk because of a decent number of ridiculously biased reviews that offered no constructive criticism."

But the critics are outnumbered byt he praisers 100 to 1. And I most of the time the critisms were well thought out, people just wouldn't have it. It doesn't eman that the praisers need change their opinion but that doesn't make the critisism poorly thought out or explained. I have yet to see a poorly posted critisism. When tpm came out and people said "jar jar sucks" thats a poor critisism, the remarks about AOTC are not of this nature.

"Don't feel forced to hate SW because some people around you don't like it. That is weak."

I don't think that is the case with anyone. I'm sure somewhere there are people like that, but i have yet to meet one.

"Posting an article about it on the front page of a FAN SITE is not relevant."

But it is relevant, they post anything with SW in it. If the simpsons mentions SW they post it, if a new military weapon is compred to the deathstar they post it. Thats objective, and I like it, if you don;'t like it, don't read it.

"When TF.N starts to impede on the dreams of children, that's where you've got to draw the line."

thats an exaggeration of epic proportions, if your brother is only 5 why is he even on the internet. even if he does read it just say its one persons opinion, some people like SW, some people like the old ones but think the new ones are bad, some people have always hated it.

Posting negative aritcles shows the fulls pectrum of SW's perception at large, like it or not, SW has lost a lot of favour with some people, to ignore that is just silly, it shouldn't change your enjoyment, r lack of enjoyment of the movies/comics/books etc, and if it does it just means you were open to the idea anyway.

Information is never bad.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't see anything wrong with TFN posting certain news stories. If you have a problem with it, e-mail them. The mods of these boards have no control over what they post for news.

Even though it is a FAN site, I see no reason to remove all negativity. If we did, it'd be nothing but "I loved the film", "Me too". Discerning opinions are needed for discussion to prosper.

12. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
  13. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    percisely yodajeff

14. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    "Discerning opinions are needed for discussion to prosper."

Yes I know, but discernment must be made about what is needed for discussion. Is this discern? -->

It makes one wonder what ever happened to that skinny dork fresh out of film school who watched sci-fi serials, Kurosawa films and read Joseph Campbell? That guy who used to talk a great deal on the power of myth and how it manifested itself in his films seems to be gone, replaced by a clueless, portly bajillionare with no regard for his former creations which he now tries to pass off as simple B-movie fare. No, Star Wars isn't high art, but it definitely isn't Inframan. (taken from the linked article)

Calling Lucas a dork, clueless, and portly. Great discernment going on there. Boy that's going to open up a lot of healthy debates.

Here's some more that could use some discerning:

Now it's too late. The damage has been done and pre-production is underway for the last installment of the prequel trilogy. At least after Star Wars Episode III: Just Give Me Your Money, the saga can be laid to rest &emdash; that is, until Lucas desecrates the corpse with the forthcoming Star Wars: Archival Editions. (taken from the linked article)

Lucas desecrates the corpse. Now that one is definitely going to bring some healthy debate to the boards. Wizard! [face_plain]

But the lack of discern doesn't end there, someone at the Force.Net decided to post a link to this irrelevant bias that adds nothing healthy to SW debate at a SW FANSITE, especially one who has problems enough that users begin to question if the boards have gone to pieces ...

Such as this thread.

It's just adding fuel to the fire.

15. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    what fire?

Why does everything have to be so life and death? Why do you take all this stuff so personally?

GL is going to make ep3 no matter what, I'm sure it'll turn a profit, and the dvds will be around for years, maybe decades after the fact.

There's nothing harmful about these remarks, its all just subjective statement. The EU doesn't interest me, if things like that don't interest you its easy to avoid.

16. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "Such as this thread.

It's just adding fuel to the fire.
    "

So, would you prefer it if the moderators didn't ask the users for input? Would you prefer it if we just did what we wanted, and didn't ask for your thoughts?

17. Sedious

Sedious Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    I'm assuming that everyone here likes at least part of one of the Star Wars movies, which makes them a fan.

Well,I like all of the movies..but my favorite is AOTC.

Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?

I dont think that the AOTC forum is going down,I think it is cool to have up so that we can look back on it & connect it with part 3.
    I myself allways have some new things that I want answered from AOTC.

18. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    You are misinterpreting what I said YJ. I'm glad you've decided to get input. And I am inputting.

What I meant is if the Force.Net is serious about mending the boards and the relationships among users why add fuel (this article in question) to the fire (the problem on the boards)?

You cannot shut your eyes as to what happens on the main site. I'll use a familiar SW theme: it's the whole symbiosis thing. What happens on the surface (the front page) will affect you/us (the boards) you must understand this.

One way this forum can be made a better place is for the Force.Net to stop encouraging the fire. Posting an article about SW being dead is definitely stoking the fire. At a time when it should definitely not be. When I said "such as this thread", that's what I meant. If there wasn't a problem, this thread wouldn't have been posted. But since this thread was posted, obviously there is a problem. So why aggrevate the problem by posting a link to an unhealthy article that will cause more problems than solve?

As a moderator you can talk to the people or person who posted this and let it be known (if for some reason they don't know) that an article like that is creating more "heat" than "light" so to speak and shouldn't be advocated, and rightfully so.

19. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    In my opinion, all news should be reported, not just positive news. If something mentions Star Wars, TFN should post it.

20. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    "In my opinion, all news should be reported, not just positive news. If something mentions Star Wars, TFN should post it."

At the expense of the boards you moderate? I understand allowing difference of opinion to a point. "Dork, clueless, portly, and descrating the Star Wars corpse" (taken from the linked article) is beyond that point.

Also the author uses the word whore. Why were there no warnings alongside the link about questionable material? The Force.Net says it caters to a family audience. Well then it needs to follow that through.

21. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I agree YODAJEFF, and thats the way its always been

BJ, you said : "is if the Force.Net is serious about mending the boards and the relationships among users why add fuel"

But thing is IF and thats the thing, I don't thing they are trying to mend things because I don't think anything needs mending.

22. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "At the expense of the boards you moderate? I understand allowing difference of opinion to a point. "Dork, clueless, portly, and descrating the Star Wars corpse" (taken from the linked article) is beyond that point."

How exactly does the article in question damage the boards? You're drawing a line based on what you personally find offensive in the article, but those standards do not apply to everyone. The author of those words is expressing a viewpoint that, for him, is valid and the language therein does not violate the TOS, otherwise the article would not have been linked in the first place.

It seems to me that certain people are so hell-bent on "sanitizing" these boards that they are willing to sacrifice everything that makes coming here worthwhile in the first place. The kind of strict guidelines being proposed here and in some other threads will only serve to obliterate anyone's ability to say anything meaningful. The result will be a very empty board indeed, where a few extremists have no one to chat with but themselves and the tumbleweeds.

If you worry so about the state of the boards, worry about that.

23. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    dude1: "Dude, which is your favorite SW film?"

dude2: "Dude, I don't think your allowed to ask those kinda questions"

dude1: "sorry I didn't know, no harm dude."

dude3: "Dude get out of here with your hatefulness, its GLs vision what makes you fit to judge, RM says its all one big movie, so what do you know?!"

dude1: "Dude, I'm sorry it was just a joke anyways, I love all of them equally."

dude4: "even TPM?"

Dude3: "Stop bashing TPM dude!"

Dude4: "sorry. I love TPM but some people don't."

dude2: "Yeah but only because Time/warner and sony brainwashed them."

dude3: "dude all I know is I love all of the movies equally. Whats with all this bashing and nitpicking?"

dude4: "me too, I love all of them equally"

dude2: "exactly,they are all awesome"

dude1: "Thats what I think also"

moddude: "If you guys don't stop flaming you're all going to be banned!"

24. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    You hit the nail on the head Coop:

"The result will be a very empty board indeed, where a few extremists have no one to chat with but themselves and the tumbleweeds."

How many people have left because of extremists that think an article like that is perfectly suitable for TF.N, a family-oriented FAN SITE? How many more will leave? The extremists my friend are those that show no respect at all to Lucas and to SW fans. I'm not talking worshipping or sucking up, I'm talking respect. Dignity. You know above name-calling, above calling someone portly and clueless and above defending and linking to that immature writing/whining. If this attitude is allowed to keep up the negativity of these boards will rot this place from the inside out, as it already has started to. It's not Star Wars that is dying, but the Force.Net.

25. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    what on earth are you talking about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.