main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by T_H_X_SKYWALKER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If you have a problem with the news that TFN posts, e-mail them. I have no power over what they post.

Now, let's get back to discussing this forum, something that I do have the power to change.

2. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Well to go back on topic, I have to reinterate my original point, I think if anything hte AOTC forum is improving a lot since the dvd came out. Its still not as good as it was this time last year, but its getting there.

3. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

T_H_X_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2002
    "dude1: "Dude, which is your favorite SW film?"

dude2: "Dude, I don't think your allowed to ask those kinda questions"

dude1: "sorry I didn't know, no harm dude."

dude3: "Dude get out of here with your hatefulness, its GLs vision what makes you fit to judge, RM says its all one big movie, so what do you know?!"

dude1: "Dude, I'm sorry it was just a joke anyways, I love all of them equally."

dude4: "even TPM?"

Dude3: "Stop bashing TPM dude!"

Dude4: "sorry. I love TPM but some people don't."

dude2: "Yeah but only because Time/warner and sony brainwashed them."

dude3: "dude all I know is I love all of the movies equally. Whats with all this bashing and nitpicking?"

dude4: "me too, I love all of them equally"

dude2: "exactly,they are all awesome"

dude1: "Thats what I think also"

moddude: "If you guys don't stop flaming you're all going to be banned!" "

That was the BEST post I have read on this thread yet! :D

EDIT: : What RS posted shows why we can't
    try to make people love aotc, if they don't.
    It also shows what happeds so much on this forum.

4. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
  5. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    Yeah but the situation is a bit too serious to make light of. Laugh and joke about the quality of the boards, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is serious. Tastefulness and tact seems to be a good model. Let's see if who can hold up to it.

6. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

T_H_X_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2002
    "Yeah but the situation is a bit too serious to make light of. Laugh and joke about the quality of the boards, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is serious. Tastefulness and tact seems to be a good model. Let's see if who can hold up to it."

I'm the one who started this thread, so I know waht it's about. Anyway sorry if you took my post wrong but what RS
    said is funny in one way, but so ture at the same time. So I was not making a joke out of it. :)

T_H_X

7. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    But isn't taking things too seriously the problem?

I don't understand why not to make light of it, making light of something almost always makes a situation better. This is what the boards are like, the JC has always generally been like this. By march almost none of the people who jumped on the band wagon with AOTC will still be here, most of htem are gone already, then it'll be nice and quiet, then the spy reports will start in july for ep3, and the ep3 forum will he up, and the guhser/basher thing will get replaced by the spoiled/unspoiled conflicts (as it always does) the aotc forum will get really quiet and eventually merge with the TPM forum and then it'll really be a good place to hang out because all the annoying people will be busy talking about ep3.

The same cycle repeats itself each time.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Pardon me for backtracking a moment. I wanted to explain the real purpose the Basher Sanctuary. A careful review of its history (what wasn't erased by Snowboard) will reveal this to be true. The Basher Sanctuary is a place where people who are labeled basher can post about the movies without being pursecuted for their views.

To better understand this, one must understand what really defines a basher. A basher is someone who is a SW fan that is displease with one (or both) PT movie and is vocal about it. Their opinion of OT doesn't come into effect, nor does their opnion of EU. If someone loves the PT but hates EU, they are not a basher (I believe the EU fans call those "haters"). If they love the PT but hate ROJ, technically, they are not a basher. Their love of the PT gives them gusher status. If someone loves one PT movie, but hates the other and is vocal about their dislike of the one, no matter how much they praise the other, they are a basher (Rebel Scumb fits into this catagory). Actually, they don't even have to hate either PT, but if they are vocal in criticism towards a PT movie, they are a basher.

Now, when the TPM Basher Sanctuary was established, AOTC was still over a year away. At this point, the definition of a basher was similar as above, only limited to TPM and not the PT as a whole since there was only one PT movie. Those who like TPM and didn't criticize it much were labeled gushers. As a result, 75% of all bashing in the Sanct was about TPM, the other 25% was about the SE and spoiler speculation.

But now we have two PTs and so the definition of a basher has expanded to what was defined above. As a result, the Sanct has a mix of TPM/AOTC/ROJ/SE bashing going on. Why? Because it's the only place someone with the title "basher" can go, debate and know his opinion is respected. Not all bashers agree what movies are good: Rebel Scumb likes TPM but not AOTC, Hawk likes AOTC but not TPM, and Ree-Yees hates everything and everyone (j/k, Ree-Yees). So how is it people of such different views can post in this thread together, disagree while yet agreeing? It's because they each know what it's like to be pursecuted for speaking out against a PT, so they post respectfully towards one another in their discussions about the movie.

So it's really the pursecution that "bashers" are trying to escape in the Sanct, not disagreement. However, originally, it was estabished for people of like-mind to get together. If each forum had it's Sanct, then the Sanct (or each of them, that is) could really return to it's original purpose and be movie-by-movie relivent. If someone liked AOTC, but not TPM, they could go to the TPM Bash. Sanct. to bash in peace, and not upset the "basher" who likes TPM.

(Man, Quix, you're a bad influence, my posts are getting too long these days ;) ).

9. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    exactly, the other thing that needs to be kept in mind is that all bashers use to be gushers, gushers were never bashers, so bashers have a much different perspective on things.

I was one of the biggest gushers of all, Aotc really made me reassess things, and the direction SW is being taken. I still love the OT and inspite of a few greivences I enjoy TPM. I even enjoy AOTC if I shut off the part of my brain that makes movies, and the part that has seen and likes the other films. As mindless eye candy, I find it pretty enjoyable, and emensely watchable, and being the newest SW film its the most likely to spark intersting discussion. But its through my profound love of sw, and respect for the talent of GL that I know AOTC is sub par, I know GL can do better, because he has done better, I expect nothing but the best from GL and SW, and IMHO aotc was not the best.

10. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    But isn't taking things too seriously the problem?

Yes it is. Problems arrise on these boards when people of differing opinions take these differing opinions too seriously. Why is SW so important that we must get mad when we see someone post comments of dissenting opinions? Why is SW that important? This statement goes towards bashes and gushers and in-betweens. It goes to myself, too, for I have done this. Why can't we all just remember "it's only a movie"? Now, bearing this in mind, let's all click on my sig for a good hearty laugh
    *cough* shameless promotion *cough*

11. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    But that's just it. We may never have been on your side, but we hear your arguments day in and day out. Don't say we don't know what it's like. Don't say we've only seen one side. Thanks to you we see more of that side than anything in the movie forums. And it has driven good people away. Well you should listen to Malthus and Darth Stryphe when they say you all need to clean up your act so that you guys are respected for your differing views. You want to have differing views? Fine. Earn it. Tastefulness and tact. We'll see if you can hold up to it.

12. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
  13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    exactly, the other thing that needs to be kept in mind is that all bashers use to be gushers, gushers were never bashers, so bashers have a much different perspective on things.

I was a TPM basher. I know several people who were bashers of the entire saga until I converted them to gushers.

14. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002

The best thing to do then is not use the words basher/gusher then. And for both sides to step in and stop it before it gets out of hand.

I do see people here who don't like the PT. But don't use words liek suck, etc. But when I do see it I can't take it. It really hard to take about a moive when someone keeps saying or post things that have nothing to do with the topic. It even makes it harder when I see them use words like suck. Or what ever other words I see them use.

I also don't like when I see a poster call people how do like the PT blind. I won't name the person. But someone did that in a different thread in the Misc boards.

What it comes down to is this. If you can't give a good reason for not like the PT then or if all you can post is GL sucks the PT sucks, or insulit people who like it don't post. If you can then go head post I really want to know what people like about each moive.

People can be civil.

That goes for some gushers to. If both sides can just be civil it would really help the forums out.

15. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Hey, I made someone's sig! Woo-hoo!

You want to have differing views? Fine. Earn it. Tastefulness and tact. We'll see if you can hold up to it.

Ah, well, I would disagree with your choice of words here. People don't earn opinions, or the right to them. They are inhertent. However, the right to express them can be lost if they abuse their right of expression. Know what I mean? Ultimately, all we have to do is obey the TOS: bashers and gushers both. If we want this place to improve, though, we're called to do a little more.

16. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    Ok so the earn it part was about harsh, but you get the picture. You've suggested yourself that if people complain constantly with no regard for tastefulness or tact, they're here on shaky time. It's good to see that some of you have sense enough to warn the others to stay in line. And yes you made my sig. Congrats. Now continue to encourage your pals to do their part.

17. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    A couple thoughts:

As far as the issue of what news is fit for TF.N main page; I (and I know some others) have the JC bookmarked so I cna come directly too the forums without looking at the main page so I can avoid spoilers that may be there. If someone has an issue with the choice of articles found there, this is an option. Anything really important/interesting ends up getting linked in the boards anyway.

The only problem I see with this particular thread is that the people who really need to read it or participate in it aren't here. It seems like preaching to the choir since most of the people who are taking part in this debate are the ones who are decent folks to begin with. The people who really cause problems, be they "basher" or "gusher" (hate those terms too YJ) aren't the type who will be likely to stick their heads in here.

18. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    If you can't give a good reason for not like the PT then or if all you can post is GL sucks the PT sucks

I can agree with some of this, but in truth, some gushers come onto these boards and determine for themselves whether or not a bashers reason is a good one. I'll determine for myself whether or not my reasons are good, because those are my reasons. It is because of this many of us stick to the Sanctuary.

19. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    but who are these mysterious troublemakers?

I don't recall ever seeing them. Once in a while a troll pops up and they are usually banned within a week. I'm on the boards a fair amount and I really don't come across these people that you're talking about, maybe I'm in the wrong threads. But if someone is trolling, just PM a mod.

This place is fun, why make it so serious, I refuse to take SW anymore seriously then GL does, and he could care less whether some are dissappointed and others think a movie is the second coming.

Do you GL cares if some guy writes a "sw is dead" essay? I doubt it. So why should we. And why shouldn't things get heated in here? that part of the fun, people should get into debates and even arguements, it forces them to think creatively and outside the normal perameters of their opinion.

99% of JC mememebrs don't last 6months their thread disappear and are forgotten, none of it matters in the long run. myabe 2, 3 people who i use to speculate about TPM are still kicking around, the important thing is to have fun while its happening taking it seriously makes it feel like homework.

I'm sorry but its like someone said, this isn't that important, and when it starts to become important is when it ceases to be fun.

20. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    The only problem I see with this particular thread is that the people who really need to read it or participate in it aren't here. It seems like preaching to the choir since most of the people who are taking part in this debate are the ones who are decent folks to begin with.

Well, if I may be bluntly honest, hippie1kenobi, when those people see this thread (and they will), they'll turn it into a basher/gusher war trollfest and Yodajeff or Quix will have to rush in here, issue a couple of warnings (maybe a spank or two) and lock it. Mark these words, so that when it happens on page 10, you can say, "Darn, that Stryphe was right." My point being, the people who need to hear this the most aren't open to hearing it, just screaming about it. And let me add that this statement is a bi-partisan one, not picking on either bashers or gushers.

21. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "The people who really cause problems, be they "basher" or "gusher" (hate those terms too YJ) aren't the type who will be likely to stick their heads in here."

exactly because they are probably already been banned. because there are maybe 20 bashers in total, anyone really problematic tends get caught pretty fast. There ae probably some 400 gushers (i'm just guessing) so the problem people tend to just blend in and end up forgotten, when nobody listens to what they have to say they leave. They're a bit harder to catch because they blend in so much, but they ulimately just dissappear, or they try to get a basher banned and it back fires because they are the real troll and end up ejected from the JC.

So my point is its not even preaching to the choir, because there's no need to preach at all, this place runs smoothly and I don't think there's anyone who doesn't get their what they deserve in due time.

22. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "but in truth, some gushers come onto these boards and determine for themselves whether or not a bashers reason is a good one. I'll determine for myself whether or not my reasons are good, because those are my reasons. It is because of this many of us stick to the Sanctuary."

this has been my expirence more often then not. I'll make a statement, I'll be asked to back it up. I'll write a lengthy and thought out reply based on my own knowledge and observation, and the reply will be something like "well thats your opinion"

duh! I know its my opinion, why ask for it if you're determined to disagree with it?

23. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    but who are these mysterious troublemakers?

I don't recall ever seeing them. Once in a while a troll pops up and they are usually banned within a week. I'm on the boards a fair amount and I really don't come across these people that you're talking about, maybe I'm in the wrong threads. But if someone is trolling, just PM a mod.

Don't want to mention any names, and truth be told, of the handful of people who I think go too far, most would be considered gushers. But you're probably right; I only tend to note/remember names of people who post intelligent things, so I am probably lumping a bunch of people together in my mind that have already beeen banned or will be soon.

This place is fun, why make it so serious, I refuse to take SW anymore seriously then GL does, and he could care less whether some are dissappointed and others think a movie is the second coming.

Oh, I agree. Please don't think I take any of this too seriously. Just thowing in my thoughts.

And why shouldn't things get heated in here? that part of the fun, people should get into debates and even arguements, it forces them to think creatively and outside the normal perameters of their opinion.

I love when things get a little heated. What I don't like is when it degrades to name calling or insults. I have no problem ignoring it most of the time, I can of course scroll over a post I don't care for, but sometimes people cross aline. I'm personally not the type to PM a mod. I'm just talking about some things I don't like about this forum. I'm not calling for any changes; I don't think any are needed or would change a thing. (although I'm not against sanctuary threads)

I'm sorry but its like someone said, this isn't that important, and when it starts to become important is when it ceases to be fun.

Worse than trying to make it important is people who make it personal. I've seen times when you have posted something well thought out, interesting and politely worded only to have someone come back with some whiney, defensive tirade. If it doesn't bother you, I guess it shouldn't bother me, but that makes threads less fun to read.

Well, if I may be bluntly honest, hippie1kenobi, when those people see this thread (and they will), they'll turn it into a basher/gusher war trollfest and Yodajeff or Quix will have to rush in here, issue a couple of warnings (maybe a spank or two) and lock it.

Well, that's kind of what I was getting at. You said it better than I. Point taken.

So my point is its not even preaching to the choir, because there's no need to preach at all, this place runs smoothly and I don't think there's anyone who doesn't get their what they deserve in due time.

I guess I just feel that there are some people who never actually cross the TOS but still have nothing to contribute and just want to cause trouble. Again, I don't see this as a major crisis, jost adding my thoughts to this thread.

24. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>What DON't You understand? Why is it so inconceivable that some Star Wars fans don't just run around yelling everything Star wars is cinematic perfection?<<<

Way to exaggerate everything I say, [edited]. When did I say any of that? Obviously fans will have differing opinions. My views on the movies aren't 100% positive either, so how can I expect everyone else to claim Star Wars to be cinematic perfection?

>>>I like the way good and bad news is posted; that way we get an even view of peoples opinions on Star wars at large.<<<

On one level, I agree. It is interesting to hear what non-fans genereally think about Star Wars. When AOTC first came out, a lot of positive and negative reviews were posted, and I thought they were fun to read. Now the DVD is on sale, and again, TFN posts various reviews. I don't have a problem with any relevant negative reviews. But do you really think the "Star Wars is dead" article was relevant? Did it say anything that hasn't been said a thousand times by now? Did it offer a unique new perspective? I can't think of any reason why fans would want to read that article.

Last week my friend's uncle said he thought Star Wars was "a pretty good movie". Why isn't TFN posting that as news?

>>>If someone posts negative arrticles about AOTC, so what? What difference does it make to you?<<<

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference. This is just a Star Wars website...it's fun, but I don't take anything too seriously. I'm just voicing my opinion that it's lame to see articles like that on a fan site. What difference does it make to you?

Edit--sorry everyone. I know this thread should stick to suggestions for the forum, and not the TFN news page, but that post was directed at me. The least I could do is crap out a hasty response.

YJ edit: Don't flame.

25. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Might as well make myself useful in this topic...

1. Why do you visit this forum?

So far Episode II is my favourite Star Wars movie, and I like to read the discussions and contribute if I can. Makes it all the easier when you can use the DVD on your computer.

2. What do you like about this forum?

So far the new moderator here, YodaJeff, is doing a good job. Keep it up! :) Anyways, I like the colour schemes and the banner also. This forum is always busy as well.

3. What do you dislike about this forum?

This forum being the newest episode out recently is a hot-spot for Gusher vs. Basher wars.

4. What would you like to see changed?

I've changed my mind about the sanctuaries. It would be a good idea, but wouldn't the conflict still continue in neutral posts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.