main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by T_H_X_SKYWALKER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Yes the flamers are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe.

2. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    Honestly I missed the big "uproar" as it were, that folks are talking about. I used to be around the boards lots during my 'break time' however, haven't been here in ages until lately. Seems my old post count was wiped and the friends list is gone? Kinda pouty about that, had a good guy who was an up coming author on my old friends list. At least my user name is still here. :)

1. Why do you visit this forum?

I started coming back because I was sick of of getting whomped in Single Player Jedi Knight II. So I was looking for good tips on keyboard set-up. I was using the arrow keys with Shift-Enter Default and surving Dark Jedi by luck. Then I tried re-assigning to the Num Pad and that was even worse. I never thought about using the main key-board default settings, even though I am an avid MMO player and used to almost 100% keyboard work. Guess having to use the mouse so much threw me off. Oh, and I also purchased the DVD of Attack recently, so thought I'd check out what everone else was saying. :)

2. What do you like about this forum?

It seems to me like a good discussion place. The atmosphere is very similar to other boards I've known plus, the humor threads grabbed me right away.

3. What do you dislike about this forum?

Not much. There's the typical/general board character stuff that you can find on forums. It happens on any forum subject with ebb and weave of a certain atmosphere. So, am rather used to it and pay it no mind.

4. What would you like to see changed?

I must admit, while reading the thread I was thinking about this question from a mod point of view. Yeah, I've been in the mod shoes for years on a high traffic web site so I hope you don't mind if I say/offer this bit out. I also hope, this doesn't come out wrong. :)

The only thing I would change is perhaps mods/forum readers welcoming newbies enforce. Newbies are sort of a life blood and I've found, on our boards (no am not going to name because it's bad form to do that), when the staff show up to answer either; their often answered question or, just to welcome them, more lurkers get brave to post. Plus, many of the regulars show up to follow the lead or just goof off with the new user/staff while making another point.

I think this creates, for certain users, a feeling that the Staff is there watching and a buffer of protection. If that makes sense without me writing a novel? Plus, being on the outside, they see a community fuctioning together and are scared to input for fear of rejection from such a tight-knit group/waring group. Having the group, or those in charge, show up and say something like, "RS answered your question but WELCOME! And feel free to ask anything else that perhaps we [The community] can link you to or straight out answer" emboldens a lot of lurkers.

Of course in a perfect world no one should be worried about expressing their opinion with a certain boards rules but, then again, having a good strong opinion which sparks a discussion shouldn't be supressed either which often makes a lurker worried to post. The fact remains some people are that way, despite they still might have very vaild points.

They aren't like myself (or others), who have been on the net and a mod so long that you can bounce a light sabre off their skin. I just jump right in after a little observation of the current community, even after having been gone so long.

That doesn't mean I think all the users need to completely change 100% how they express unless it is outside the rules. Nor that there is something wrong with the rules. My point is, perhaps posters need to be more supportive of those lurking around. Many are wanting to say something, but for one reason or another (not considering they can't due to work) don't for fear of not being able to merge "somehow" with the rest.

Okay, Mrs. Long-winded scrambling to the Old Folks home.. out. ;)

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I said earlier I thought this forum was improving. I spoke too soon. The decrease in bashing was only a temporary respite. The bashers soon came back, in greater numbers, more venemous than ever.

4. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    Errr Shelley, was it something I said?

If so, what?

5. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "I said earlier I thought this forum was improving. I spoke too soon. The decrease in bashing was only a temporary respite. The bashers soon came back, in greater numbers, more venemous than ever."

exactly, the forum is getting better :)

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Shelley, the same thing that gives you the right to "gush" also gives "bashers" the right to "bash". The road goes both ways, like it or not.

7. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    This is what makes this forum so vibrant and full of new ideas.

There's so many colorful people here, it should be appreciated.

Read the Lord of the scripts thread, on the TPM forum. It's a laugh a minute.

8. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    Yeah this is supposed to be a fan forum. Problem is, most of the time it is made to be a mockery of a fan forum. But hey, it's ok! Just sit back, dress it up as open mindedness, and enjoy the detraction. It's a laugh a minute alright.

9. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    It's just one thread out of many.

I'd hate to see the fans straight-jacketed and all thinking alike.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I really don't like this concept of 'bashers' and 'gushers'. Stupid names, anyway. Why does it have to be so light and dark?

Opinion can vary greatly, I don't agree with the way that many people have set themselves up into little camps like this.

[/rant]

11. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Right DamonD,

I agreed with your opinion, in the other thread btw.

As long as people don't insult each other, that should be where the line is drawn.

All I ask is that my views in defence of something are respected.

I agree.

12. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Shelley, bj and ksid, your feelings on the matter are well known from here and other forums. Let's not revisit the topic again, hmm?

EDIT: Curse those with faster fingers so that my posts don't appear to be responding to the people to whom they were addressed!!!

13. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Sure :).

14. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I really don't like this concept of 'bashers' and 'gushers'. Stupid names, anyway. Why does it have to be so light and dark?

Opinion can vary greatly, I don't agree with the way that many people have set themselves up into little camps like this.

The problem is people seem to enjoy setting themselves into those little camps.

Until they refuse to label themselves one or the other, I don't think there will be any peace.

15. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?"

Well I've been quite absent lately, so many would probably say its going up. :p

16. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Rebelscumb you return! my brother, my captain, my king :p :).

17. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    ksid, do I get the same kind of welcome?? :(

18. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah I'm back, but not in full force.

I had to put my cat to sleep last week and I've been pretty bummed out and in no mood to chat SW.

Not to mention I've spent the last 2 weeks doing what so many are always bugging me to do, and spend more time developing my own film projects (scifi epics and otherwise) and less time critisizing (construstively) some one elses.

Plus now that I have a version of AOTC editted more to my liking, its harder to complain.

That and I've just run out of stuff to say.

But don't worry, I'm sure I'll get caught in the hype of Mask of doom, and if it sucks I'll be sure to point it out and if its amazing I'll be the biggest gusher around.

19. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Royalguard96 in Crimson colors you come back to us now at the turn of the tide! :) :p

20. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I was curious if anyone thought it would be a good idea to combine the TPM forum and the AOTC forum. The TPM forum is so slow now anyway, and with the focus soon to shift to ep3 it seems like it could be a cool idea.

I dunno/

21. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    The amount of EPII bashing that goes on here is amazing. And rather strange. It's a forum for AOTC...and its just weird to me that people will cut it up so much in a fan forum.

Otherwise, I think this is a fairly clean forum, compared to some of the others that just go to the pit toilets...and the posting volume in those is still immense!

22. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    3,000th post!

ksid, I just can't stay mad at ya ;)

RS, I think that's been discussed very briefly in the past. As it stands now, it seems like both forums have strong enough legs on their own to warrant staying separate. There are a lot more less-active independent forums on the JC than these two.

It would surprise me if there's a TPM-AOTC forum even after Ep. 3 is released. If the admins combined those forums, you could make a case for a LOT of other forums to get combined too, based on traffic.

23. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I think this forum shares the same problems alot of other forums have. Mods lock rooms so that idea can be expressed in a more general room. This stifles the creativity and new ideas aren't there to click on. Thats just my take. :)

24. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I agree with that.

As for being to critical, I didsagree. This is a place for people who are PASSIONATE about SW, passionately praising or passionately critical, it doesn't matter which, the passion is what is important.

25. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.