main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else feel this way?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by NorCalBirdz, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I was watching ROTJ yesterday and I noticed something that disturbed me:

I just can't make a mental connection with the Palpatine of Episode III and of Episode VI. I was hoping that ROTS would bridge the gap between PT Palps and OT Palps but I just don't feel like they are the same person. The OT Palps calmly sits in his chair and subtly yet powerfully seduces Luke. ROTS Palps seems to love to yell and scream and cackle. Anyone else feel this way at all?

2. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    20+ years have passed....he's gotten old and mellow. ;)

3. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    The galaxy is his, and only one up-and-coming jedi that may give him problems, no worries :p

4. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    Yeah....I'm sure the pressure was off after ROTS. Palps probably mellowed in the Imperial Hot Tub for 20 years.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    That's funny - I've never had a problem with ROTS vs. ROTJ Emperor.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy!"

"Now experience the full power of the Dark Side of the Force!"

"Your arrogance has blinded you."

6. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    He's grown overconfident as shown in his dialogue with Luke in ROTJ:

"Your overconfidence is your weakness."

"Your faith in your friends is yours."

7. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Aside from the fact that the make-up seemed to change in every different shot, it felt like a Reunion With The Emperor. In particular all of his scenes in the final 5 minutes felt exactly like the guy from ROTJ. It was great. The Mustafar scene, the shuttle landing on Coruscant, the Vader birth, the Star Destroyer bridge...he looked and sounded great.

What struck me the most was his concern for Vader. That was a fascinating aspect of it all. He seemed almost compassionate one second, then he'd screw with Vader's head the next.

It changed my opinion of Palpatine forever, which took some time to come to grips with. But it makes him a much richer character. Less two-dimensionally evil and more human.

8. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I sorta wish Palpatine was in the OT more. Not in ANH or even in ESB, but I wish his role in ROTJ had been expanded, even if it meant less Ewoks or something (I like them though).

That said, I never felt a difference really. In ROTS, when he put his hood into place I was sold. He really calms down after that. Even when Yoda comes to confront him, he's pretty collected when he speaks except for a few cackles.

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The greatest difference I think lies in the voice. In ROTS, it's often much deeper and more monster-like.
    Also, his eyes don't glow in ROTJ the way they do in ROTS.

Palpatine is a monster
    /LM

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Also, his eyes don't glow in ROTJ the way they do in ROTS.

Not yet they don't. Wouldn't be surprised if it's changed not that I have a problem with that.

anyways I felt the ROTS Sidious was just like ROTJ Sidious except for Make up and voice. Though voice is understandable with the age difference of Ian McDiarmid in the two movies.

11. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I think they tie in perfectly with each other, once ROTS Sidious gets going (and makes himself Emperor). The cackling, the overconfidence, the lightning, they all bind the character together.

The only scene I had a problem with Sidious is when he is knighting Anakin. He seems to be channeling the Dark Side a little too much.

12. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I think the true connection comes out when Luke starts falling, the Emperor starts laughing and talking crazy just like he does in RotS.

I think his maniacal performance in RotS is more him finally getting to be who he is after spending all of his life hiding and acting his way through everything.

"At last the Jedi are no more!"

- O_F

13. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Pride cometh before the fall. In response to Obi-wan telling Yoda and Mace that Anakin is arrogant in AOTC, Yoda says that "a trait more common among Jedi. Even the older, more experienced ones." Soon after the Jedi are destroyed (almost, except for Yoda and Obi-wan). Palpatine consolidates power (almost; except for the Rebellion) and becomes arrogant. Soon (not as soon as the Jedi's demise) after, he is destroyed...

14. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    I felt like this when seeing the new footage for the Empire Strikes Back DVD but after seeing ROTS, i now have no probs with him in Empire and he's still great in Jedi.

15. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Are you kidding? Palpatine is absolutely the most consistent character out of the whole Saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.