main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anyone else feeling uneasy about the possible spin off films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthTunick , May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Although I can see how some spin off films might work, I still wish that Disney's focus would be 100% on Episodes VII-IX. A series of spin off films would work better, as I see it, after the story arc(s) of the ST are completed/released.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  2. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    i'm definitely not looking forward to them the way i am with the ST. i can see the spin-offs becoming the part of the franchise that the fandom tends to ignore or pick through, kind of like how the ice age movies stopped being relevant after the first sequel or so.

regardless, i think for the time being disney is pretty focused 100% on episode VII.

3. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm with you both there. While I'm looking forward to the spin offs, my anticipation for the ST is way higher. I'm also expecting the spin offs to be viewed or liked as per the viewers own personal preference. Let's face it, if they do 10 spin offs over the next decade, not all of them are gonna be great. (But at least a couple will be awesome [face_praying]). There'll be good ones, bad ones and well.... just ok ones. But I'm not particularly concerned. The main saga will always retain it's place in my heart and in my eyes the franchise as a whole will not be damaged by a couple of meh movies. Hell, they'll still be in my collection and I will no doubt still watch them multiple times.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I would be much happier if instead of a billion spin offs they gave us a good live action series or two.
    I'm pretty sure that will happen at some point, though.

Either way, not really thinking that much about spin offs, to be honest. Just like books and comics, I expect there will be a lot of 'em and I expect them to vary in quality.

Thuro, Dewback, plaidphoenix and 2 others like this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I would rather the spin offs came after the ST not during & as you say focus 100% on the ST.....

6. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    One thing I wonder about the spin off is: Will they all be in a certain time period or will they constantly jump around *like this one being in the prequel time, this one being inbetween, and this one being after, ect ect*. It might get confusing to audiences if they constantly just jump around. I heard somebody on AMCmovietalk say that the spin offs should be like Marvel in one time period leading up to episode 8-9 with each movie having something necessary for episode 8-9*like a character in a spin off has a MAJOR impact on episode 8*. Sure that means no prequels/spin offs for dead characters but whatever its all build up towards the episodes.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    NO bring them on. I felt uneasy with no starwars from 1983-1999 then, 2005-2015.
    I'm getting to old for these sort of waits.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm actually pretty excited about the spin offs. They could do so many different things with them that they can't do with the ST.
    Take a Boba-movie for example. It would focus on non-Jedi characters, which haven't really been explored as much as the Jedi and Sith in the movies.

Jesse Booth likes this.
  9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Personally I'm more interested in the idea of spin offs than a sequel trilogy. When Disney announced that they would be making more Star Wars movies my first reaction was "I hope the stories they will tell won't be tied down to the pre-existing movies." Star Wars is an extremely fertile ground for imaginative and creative new ideas with virtually endless possibilities. It doesn't have to be tied down to the same characters, locations or factions we have already been given. There's literally an entire universe of material to play with. I happen to find the notion of this being explored a little bit more in depth on the big screen quite exciting.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Not to mention some 25,000 years of history in which to jump around and in which to set up a new adventure(s).

11. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Here is how I see the spin-offs:

Today's model is to spin off everything to maximize what corporate America calls maretability and, of course, profits. They have also largely lost all ability to be creative, so we get lots of remakes, re-telling, reboots, and regurgitation. This does not only apply to movies and television, but to almost every aspect of things run by corporations.

Special K was a cereal, but now its a cereal, a bar, a drink, and a desert.
    They discontinued MARS bars so they could rebrand it as Snickers Almond.
    The Flintstones are no longer a television series, but now a food brand of cereal and cereal bars. (Do they still make the vitamins? Not sure..)

We have seen a ton of retellings of things like The Wizard of OZ, Planet of the Apes, Willy Wonka, and so on.....

Some have been decent, some have been terrible, but the originals will always be great.

My point though, is this:

No matter what they spin off of Star Wars, good or bad, Star Wars will always be Star Wars in the classic sense and in the cultural sense.

For me, nothing could alter the impact Star Wars has had. Personally, I enjoyed the PT, but I know many did not. However, I couldn't imagine looking at the OT any differently than I always have had I hated the PT. And the impact of the ST will live forever unless you find a time machine somewhere and go back and mess it up THEN.

So I am looking forward to seeing what they do with spin-offs, and I hope to enjoy them. But if I dont, I just see it as a flavor of the month with the way the industry works today.

Hope they are good!

12. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    I am really excited about them just as much as the continuation of the saga. Those may be more free stories that are not tied down to a preexisting narrative. I expect Vader in one - maybe the last one. Plenty great idea's that to only have to decide on three seems a shame.

I would love to see a Han Solo/Lando heist movie, a Vader Jedi purge flick. More of Darth Maul - a great baddie in a crap film. A Ben Kenobi exile film, a Palpatine/Plageous film.

11-4D and Immortiss like this.
  13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I am very nervous about them and their use of established characters. I don't really want them screwing around with Yoda backstories or Kenobi getting into adventures when he is supposed to be in hiding

Dak Oolron, Dewback and Toonimator like this.
  14. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    At first I was a little concerned, but now I just look at them as nice diversions that I can take or leave leading up the the numbered entries. Kind of like the Clone Wars cartoons around the time of Episodes II and III, except they won't necessarily move the main story forward. I think its neat to let other filmmakers play around in the universe independent of the big films.

15. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008

It might be because I haven't slept in a few days, but it kinda just hit me how weird the word "Yoda" looks. Yoda. Y-O-D-A. Hah.

I'm not 'uneasy' about spin off's, I don't know anything about them. All I've officially, i.e. not rumours, got to go on right now is "Star Wars spin-offs, lots of them' and without any context to put it in all I can really take from it is that THERE'S GOING TO BE LOADS MORE STAR WARS MOVIES. I cannot react to that idea with anything but optimism. Well, not for the EU but I've never really put much stock into 'canon'. Making things 'not happen' isn't going to take away any of the enjoyment I've taken from them.

So, no. I'm not uneasy or scared or pessimistic. I'm very happy about the idea of Star Wars spin-offs. I'll start worrying if I see the word 'remake' used in connection to the six existing films.

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I was at first, but not now. Now, the notion actually really intrigues me. We're getting the EU from now on in the form of films. At least that's the way I'm viewing it. I just don’t like the proposed release schedule. I still think the ST should be done and dusted before we get any other films jumping around the time-line.

17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Personally I don't have a problem with the release schedule. I've mentioned before how I see a movie a year no different to how we get a season a year of some really neat TV shows. If the material we get given is really good then there is no way it's going to diminish anything. At least not for me.

And while some people have concerns about how short the production time is it should be noted that A New Hope went into production in 1975. A 2 year production cycle is nothing new for a Star Wars movie.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think the ST films are more important, but I think the spin-off films could definitely add some additional fun and interesting stories to the overall series of SW films. So as long as they give the ST films the attention they need as a primary focus, but then also ensure secondarily that any spin-off being made is done right, I think it will all be good.

19. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I'm cautiously excited for them. At worst, they will be unnecessary canon ruiners that decile our favorite characters, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I think Disney is going to hire some real talent to work on these films and give us Star Wars experiences that feel completely different from the main films while losing none of the quality. The spinoffs have a chance to show us things we've never seen before. We'll get to see a Star Wars crime movie, a western, a political thriller, who knows.

Whereas the main films are an amalgamation of different genres, the spinoffs have the oppurtunity to take advantage of everything that a single genre has to offer. And that's exciting to me.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Actually I'm probably more intrigued by the spinoff concept than VII-IX. Might be a better chance of a fresh approach there. I'm more uneasy over the possibility of the ST being a bland exercise in nostalgia and contemporary blockbustering.

11-4D likes this.
  21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'll admit, I'm concerned. I think there's a real possibility for burn-out and I'd rather not see Star Wars come to that. Disney is infamous for milking every popular film that they have by constantly releasing unnecessary sequels and other mindless fluff (and this is coming from a HUGE Disney fan). I think we'll be fine with the ST, but anything beyond that is really up in the air. I don't think they'll change their ways just because of the history surrounding Star Wars - at the end of the day, they're out to make money and turn a profit.

22. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    No!
    Some people just can't be pleased :)
    Be thankful there are going to be spin offs. Watch em once, if you don't like don't watch again. Or if you're really worried read a review before you watch. Any less than 3 stars then don't watch it

23. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    A bit excited but of course nervous, because of the unknown. Since we don't know what they plan to do. Also I'm afraid Star Wars will be milked to death. More Star War movies is great, sounds great, but there can be too much of a good thing.

24. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    As long as they are all good then I'm not worried if they do 5 a year. If they were doing a tv series they would be doing 12-20 episodes a year.
    It's not quantify we should be worried about just quality.... But I'm not worried about quality either. These movies are going to be from good to very good and maybe even great.
    I'd love a boba fett movie to be like the new judge dredd. Can you imagine how great that would be? :)
    If things go well with the spin offs and they start making tons I'm sure we'll get some kiddy ones but if that's the case I'm sure we'll get more adult ones too.

Here's to TONS of SW spin offs!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    No. Unless they look REALLY good, I'm not planning on seeing them anyway. I figure the best way to keep them from making bad movies is to not put money into them :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.