main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anyone else feeling uneasy about the possible spin off films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthTunick , May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    People have been worried that Marvel was going to over saturate the market for years, and they didn't even with 2 or more movies per year. Not every film was intended to be a big budget film, and each one had its own niche to fill in between the heavy hitter gaps. And, every once in a while, one film stands above the crowd and does pretty well. That's what Disney's aiming for with these spin offs. Smaller, though still quality, products more intended to flesh out the universe, please the fans, and fill the gap inbetween movies than be major blockbusters. They're in an entirely separate genre from the superhero films sure to flood the market and almost entirely choke each other out before this decade's end, so there aren't any worries about flooding the market.

What's really bothering me is that these directors and writers are really unproven. They have only about one truly good film each, but so I don't know why exactly they were chosen.

2. Archie Brown

Archie Brown Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2015
    Yes I am a bit worried because I'm not a big fan of the rebels in the end of A new hope and return of the Jedi and if the first spinoff is all about them I will watch it but hopefully it will be better than expected!

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The way I look at it is this. If they're good, well then you simply have another good/great SW film to add to your collection. And if they're not, well then they don't really effect the "main saga" films anyway (so they'd be easy to ignore).

4. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    The simple fact that these films will take place on multiple planets in the GFFA, and not in variations of CGI versions of New York (as so many Marvel films do), already makes them better, IMO. Yes, there will be clunkers. But I'm looking forward to the gems.

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  5. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    While everyone is praising marvel , am I the only one who thinks they have the most over rated movies? Iron Man is horrible so is Avengers, especially after re watching them recently. All it is is massive CG scenes and a typical smart ass RDJr. The captain America movie is about as exciting as watching paint dry. So if this type of stuff is going on at marvel, and is something Disney wants to imitate, I don't see much good except good box office numbers for a week or 2. Then again I hope I am 1000% wrong bc the SW universe is literally endless with ideas for exploration.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  6. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

Avengers is definitely overrated IMHO. Iron Man is okay, haven't seen Captain America. But Thor and its sequel are great.

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Watch Captain America: TWS, it's really damn good. Oh and the Daredevil Netflix show, wow was that awesome.

8. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm with you. If the Star Wars films aren't much better than Marvel's output, I will be pretty disappointed.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Me too, even though I don't think that will happen.

At any rate, this thread is supposed to be more general. For conversations more specifically about comparisons to Marvel, we have this other thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/fear-of-sw-being-marveled-sw-avengers.50022111/

10. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Out of curiosity, what gives you the impression that the Star Wars spinoffs are not likely to be of a high quality?

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, what? That's not what I meant at all... I think they will be of a high quality. I think they will retain most of the look and feel of the Episodic movies that are also being made. What I meant was that I will be disappointed if the Spin-offs feel like Marvel movies, but I don't think that will happen anyway.

Lando Swarm likes this.
  12. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Oh, sorry! I thought by "I don't think that will happen" you meant that you didn't think they would be better than Marvel's output. Apologies.

And yeah, I agree.

EHT likes this.
  13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Eeek, no! Sorry for the confusion. :D

14. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    A potentially dangerous and consequential error. :)

EHT likes this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Not uneasy, more like set fan brainpan on ignore until there's a spin off film with a character or concept I'd pay $ to see.

16. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I've felt uneasy about the spin off films from day one.

17. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    they are going to oversaturate Star Wars so hard by putting these out between ST releases.

they should wait until at least a few years after the ST has already finished, and they should only make these when they're actually good and add to the story. I posted a few ideas in another thread (a Palpatine film, for example, I see being interesting).

Rogue One I predict won't have much of a reason to exist.

18. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

you know except for explaining why episode IV can happen. I don't believe in over saturation if they have a hundred good ideas make a hundred good films. Making more or less does not make any of the individual movies better or worse you can have an original idea make a movie and it can be bad or you can make a sequel or tv series to a massive franchise and be better than the individual original idea bad movie if they feel they can make these movies because they have individually good ideas let them. Also as someone who enjoyed portions of the EU the EU had a lot of stories some of them bad but I never felt it was over saturated each storyline and period had original ideas that expanded the universe. These movies are intended to do that they are going to be lower budget films and do what CW and Rebels, comics, books and what the old legend material did expand the universe and make it feel big with massive amounts of lore.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I felt uneasy about them when I thought they'd be actual spin-offs, i.e. about characters from the saga, such as the Boba Fett, Han Solo, or Yoda origin films we'd been hearing about at first. However, hearing about the plot of Rogue One is reassuring, and the "war film" vibe they're going for even more so. So, just based off of what we know for that first film, I feel a lot better about them as of right now, and knowing that these Anthology movies are going to play around with different genres and themes than the Saga films has me greatly interested.

Strongbow and Dewback like this.
  20. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    If the Anthology films are genre-spanning (and it sounds like Rogue One is likely to be a realistic war film, rather than your usual Star Wars space fantasy), the risk of over-saturation is greatly diminished. I wasn't sold before. But now that I've seen that teaser for Rogue One, I can't wait for all kinds of Star Wars films.

Krueger and Artoo-Dion like this.
  21. Sithwitchking

Sithwitchking Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2015
    Yes. It seems like there milking cows. The can work obviously but for they should to the main episodes. And then old republic era trilogy. 1 character based spin off seems like everyone would get bored and the average movie goer will get tired of a new Star Wars ever year thus hurting the episodes

22. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    As long as they don't significantly affect the OT or alter our perception of the original films, then I'm fine with whatever they do as long as it's well made. But if they start playing around too much in that era, there's going to be an inevitable conflict especially with the modern trend of blockbuster movies having to follow a certain formula (opening action scene - plot/character development - midmovie smaller action scene - some shocking development - HUGE giant explosions that destroy a city).

I'd also rather they steer relatively clear of main characters we already know. I don't need to see a Han Solo or Yoda spinoff movie.

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Based on what we've learned so far about Rogue One, I am now confident that these films will do quite well-in fact, it may even draw in people that otherwise don't really like Star Wars at all, not just the fans who will see it anyway.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not to be insulting or anything, but as a closet SW fan (I don't really have a group of friends that are SW fans, and have never been to a SW event), I must say that SW fans appear extremely neurotic in general. It looked for the longest time as if SW movies were going to die with Lucas, and be a lost cause (in fact, GL himself was basically saying this almost explicitly). Now the SW universe is booming in a huge way with huge budgets and the biggest and best actors, writers, directors, etc. in the world (not to mention the OT actors back), yet somehow there is all of this fretting about this and that, all this anxiety about what might happen; all of this criticism and negativity, as if it is all a BAD thing. Like, wait a minute, I thought you were a SW fan, and that meant SW was GOOD to you. Geez man. :confused:

I think the spinoffs are a fantastic idea. I love that we get different twists on the SW universe, and can't wait to see what they come up with. I think the concept behind Rogue One is great, and am really intrigued by that trailer. I am more and more confident given what KK is saying about these that we are not going to get what I really don't want, i.e. excessive rehashing of old characters (as in stories that focus on main characters from the OT and PT). I do hope they at some time totally take it out of the dominion that we know of in the SW movies, e.g. something like The Old Republic, that would knock it out of the ballpark for me if well done.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Fans of anything appear extremely neurotic. It's the nature of fandom.

FWIW, I agree. This is the SW explosion I'd always hoped for. It can only be a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.