main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else find the Dex's Diner scene extremely.......

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by KingLouie, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Dex's Diner is a perfect example of the "lived in" universe that is Star Wars, right down to the stains on Dex's fry cook white shirt, the juke-box beat in the background and the droid waitress who recognizes regulars on sight.

Dex is just damn cool. He's the classic character who's done just about everything, and knows a bit about everything. THe guy the detective goes to when he needs info. And that's just how it played out. Perfect.

2. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I thought the scene was pretty good. Nice human/CGI interaction. And Dexter was an interesting character,

3. zeva

zeva Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Loved the acting in Dex's scene

Loved the CG Dex in Dex's scene

Loved the seamsless interaction between a human and a CG

BUT

The set, especially the establishing shot that shows the diner from the outside, and shows it to be of a shape that looks just like a diner on earth, felt...well...cheesy??? SORRY! SORRY ! I SAID THAT!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!! I WILL NEVER SAY IT AGAIN!!!

the robot waitress looking like FLO (Kiss-my -grits) from the tv show ALICE was also way too distracting for me. Like I said, the content of the scene was great, loved the interaction between OB and Dex, and to me it felt like a good expository scene in a film noir, just before the detective embarks on a journey into a dangerous territory. There. Commence the flaming!!!!!

4. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    I thought it was cool!

5. Darth_Hater

Darth_Hater Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    "Anyone else find Dax's Dinner scene exstremly......."

Cool? Yes as a matter of fact I did.

And for Dr.Evazan, didn't Ralph McQuarrie create paintings of Coruscant years before the PT was even a thought?

Therefore isn't possible that if George had had the means, Coruscant would have showed up in the OT?

EDIT: It would be interesting to know if the paintings were created before BladeRunner.

6. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Yeah and the robot waitress that gets obi-wan Jawa juice, she has a name tag ish thing that has three Aurabesh letters on it that translates to "FLO"

and yes, i loved this scene, too. Ewan has such a great voice. :p mmmm

7. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    im looking into the RMcQ issue... so far i have only seen illustrations that were done for ROTJ and they are very different from the designs we see in AOTC. also blade runner came out a year before ROTJ.

i was under the impression doug chiang did the new designs.

8. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    The diner scene rocks! I remember the first few times i saw AOTC, i didn't look all that close at the street scene outside and just assumed i was looking at Coruscant at ground level.

Then i noticed that the street, diner, and everything else is actually on top of a building. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Oh yeah, the scene inside the diner was fun too ;)

9. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Good God people, EVERYTHING in STAR WARS is based in some way or another on things Lucas has found ON EARTH! For example, Princess Leia's buns are taken from the hairstyle of Mexico's freedom fighter women in the 1800s.
    There's an historic precedent for just about everything in STAR WARS. The towers on the big STAR DESTROYERS in the OT are taken from the conning towers of battleships in WW2.
    So the diner is just another Earth item transferred to GFFA.

10. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    I loved this scene. I was not bothered by the likeness to an earth diner. There are so many planets and cultures in the galaxy that it is more than conceivable that one of them would be very earthlike.
    Dex was so cool. Seeing Obi with a friend was such a relief.

11. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Heh, someone else on the old thread pointed out that the old ripped up shirt Dex is wearing is a 'kaadu' shirt. It either has a really clever stain or it has a logo of a Nabooian kaadu on the shirt's left side (like an 'alligator' shirt). Dex is wearing an old designer or knock-off designer shirt.

I checked it out at last night's AOTC viewing. It's there. Hee haw. Nice touch, GL.

12. Lagniappe

Lagniappe Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I can understand why some people had trouble with this scene as a 50's style diner is a bit anchronistic for a galaxy far, far away...but GL is always throwing around anchronisms anyway...

"Well, be sitting duck!"

And at least this one has some redeeming value. We actually get to see Obi-wan let his hair down and EMOTE! Thank the force! It was little moments like this that convinced me that the characters on the screen actually did have emotions under all that blank faced acting.

13. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
  14. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
  15. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I like the chick staring out the window on the left in that pic. :) I wonder who she's waiting for?

But yeah, great scene. Especially Ewan's smile when he says "Depends on what, Dex?"

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    My thoughts on Dex's Diner. Great scene, though I could've done without the red plastic seating and coffee pot. :p

17. hadokenjedi

hadokenjedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    I agree with you 100% KingLouie!

This scene is not only silly and cheesy, it also destroys the sense of coherence and reality of the Star Wars universe.

When I watch a Sci Fi/ Fantasy movie I want to believe in the universe that is created, I want to feel like I'm transported to real place that makes sense. But when I see scenes like this Dex's Diner sh$t it just makes me think "what the f§ck is a 50's diner doing in another galaxy". Sure the Star Wars universe isn't realistic Sci Fi, but I at least want it to make sense as a fantasy reality,with it's own seperate history, culture etc.

Also, I want it to take itself SERIOUSLY. Sure some humor is nice, but that can be achieved with funny dialogue or something, not with silly characters an locations that JUST DON'T FIT into the Star Wars universe and look like something from a Sci Fi parody like Spaceballs.

For me the Dex's Diner scene, together with that stupid nightclub moment when that HORRIBLE Elan Sleazebaganno (or whatever - what u TERRIBLE name) shows up make Episode 2 far worse than it could have been. I hate this stuff far more than the clumsy romantic parts or anything else, because it makes me take the movie less seriously and destroys much of my emotional involvement with the characters, story and world.

You can go ahead and kill me now.

18. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Mmmmm... surprised that no-one has compared Dex's to American Graffiti yet!

Also, in ref. to Darth_Hater's point:
    Therefore isn't possible that if George had had the means, Coruscant would have showed up in the OT?

GL has pointed out several times, that the PT will "introduce" us to the many other planets of the galaxy, in particular Coruscant (and possibly Alderaan), as their presence in the OT (when viewed in order) is no longer required - we know which planets are being referred to (eg in ANH on the DS, reference is made to the "Senate no longer being a problem" - we now know what the senate looks like and its location).

19. Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi

Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    Thanks for the pic, Marsguo. I now have a new background on my comp :)

Anyways, ever since I first saw the movie, the Dex's Diner scene always jumped out at me as one of my more favorite scenes. Everyone's pointed out why it's great, and I agree with most of 'em. For me, I like it cause there is warmth there between the characters. It sets up that Obi-Wan is capable of having seedy friends and being comfortabe around them, which in turn makes me believe that old Obi-Wan is comfortable in Mos Eisly cantina and comes up with a ride really quickly.

Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing everything :)

20. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Most critics complain that the prequels take themselves too seriously, but when Lucas puts in a fun scene like Dex's diner, people complain about that too. Confused, am I.

21. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    People say the cantina in ANH is okay, but this diner isn't? There were taverns like that in the American Southwest in the 1800s- plenty of them.

22. FireAndGold

FireAndGold Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2001
    I liked the scene in the diner, but I also understand the people who don't because it's 'un-Star Wars'. I was also surprised by this locale, but then I thought about it and realised that there would be such a place on Coruscant, considering all the different races, and where they all come from.

Aside from that, Obi-Wan is brilliant in that scene and his interaction with Dex is great, as a lot of posters have mentioned.

23. hadokenjedi

hadokenjedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    The cantina at least looks sufficiently exotic and strange, like it really BELONGS in the Star Wars universe. Dex's Diner just looks like it belongs in the 50's.

24. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    People ARE just trying to find something to complain about. They say, "no, no, I love Star Wars" but the truth is they're just trying to find ways to bash the prequels, because they're not how they imagined it.

25. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    I love this scene, good acting, good CGI and atmosphere, and what about that music? That funky sounding music puts the icing on the cake that is the Dex's diner scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.