main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else find the Dex's Diner scene extremely.......

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by KingLouie, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "People say the cantina in ANH is okay, but this diner isn't? There were taverns like that in the American Southwest in the 1800s- plenty of them."

Thank you Sithman from saving me the trouble! Haven't you guys ever seen a John Wayne western before? Any western? The Cantina is straight out of a Western, from its appearence to the confrontation with Ponda Boba and Dr. Evazan. :)

2. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The cantina in ANH looks exactly like cantinas in the southwest. The only difference? The shape of the outside and the buildings surrounding it. Oh, and the aliens inside.

3. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I don't know. Those aliens didn't look much stranger than most of the folks that frequent most bars I've been in! ;)

4. Darth_Pseudomorph

Darth_Pseudomorph Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    I HATED that scene. It was one of the worst scenes in the entire saga. Ewan did a MISERABLE job and Dex looked like a video game cut out. KingLouie...you are absolutely right.

Actually...I'm not to partial on the scene (didn't hate and dont love it). But I thought this thread need a little variety.

Do people think they are actually contributing to a thread when they add their own "I loved it too." What pretension to assume that their "I loved it" is any more insightful then the last "I loved it."

Guys, please, take your posetivity some where else. Add some new insight to the thread, or stay out.

5. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Guys, please, take your posetivity some where else. Add some new insight to the thread, or stay out.
    Uh huh. [face_plain]

6. Darth_Pseudomorph

Darth_Pseudomorph Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    ACTUALLY there is nothing incorrect about KingLouie's assertion that the Diner scene was "un StarWars."

Think about it.

In any film or novelization, the writer is establishing a particular atmosphere or gestalt. The longer the story the more established that atmosphere becomes. Therefore, for long films (especially Sagas like Star Wars) it is highly possible for their to be certain out-of-place or incongruous scenes. That is what King Louie is claiming...and there is nothing disagreeable about it.

For example, a scene underwater would be alittle incongruous in the GodFather, right? Same thing.

Personally...I find the Star Wars universe to be so random and chaotic that there is little room left for any possible incongruity (i.e. everything fits). However, I did feel that the fire place scene seemed a little too...ordinary...too domesticated for the rugged wacky world of Star Wars. The Diner scene, however...I would expect.

7. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I thought the Dexter scene worked quite well. I enjoyed seeing Obi-Wan on a more one-on-one level with a non-Jedi "buddy". I lets us know that Kenobi has a life outside of the Temple, which I thought was a very cool touch. The two seem to have some genuine chemistry and I love Dexter's voice. The only corn in the scene for me was the robot waitress, but it wasn't that bad.

I'd take that scene with Dex over ANY scene involving Jar-Jar in the PT any day! I am FAR from a PT gusher, and still believe they are both inferior to the OT, but that scene was quite well done in my opinion.

8. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    "Do people think they are actually contributing to a thread when they add their own 'I loved it too.' What pretension to assume that their 'I loved it' is any more insightful then the last 'I loved it.'"

How is it pretentious to express your opinion on a message board? That's the whole point, regardless of whether everyone else shares that same opinion or not.

"Guys, please, take your posetivity some where else. Add some new insight to the thread, or stay out."

How pretentious of you to assume you have the right to steer discussion.

9. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

Dex seemed like a cool guy to me. If he's Obi-Wan's friend, that's good enough for me.
    I'd like to sit down and have a beer with Dex and ask him questions about the galaxy.
    He seemed like he's been around and would know a lot of stuff.

10. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    I want to add my 2¢ ...

I loved that scene :D

There was something so completely charming about it, especially the exchange between Dex and Obi-wan. AoTC is a pretty dark movie, this is one of the few happier, light-hearted scenes. It adds a lot of warmth and humanity to the movie. I also like the way GL allowed the camera to be freed up as it pans around the diner. Dex was an awesome CG character. And it was great to see Obi-wan interact with his old friend.

11. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

Lets up this thread.

I like DEX :)

12. space case

space case Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 1999
    I liked the scene. We were allowed to see Obi-Wan when he was out on his own and didn't have to think about what Anakin was doing. No whiney padawan to discipline. Perhaps in episode III it could be where he hides out with Luke until he can get off the planet.

13. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "Ewan did a MISERABLE job"

Well, I guess we can't agrue with that! :)

Oh wait, we can! No he didn't.

14. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I thought Dex's tattoos were a nice touch. Hopefully, we'll see what happens to him in Episode III. I doubt that a good buddy of a Jedi Knight will score a lot of points with the new Emperor.

15. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I think your just crazy, no offense.

16. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    "...Do people think they are actually contributing to a thread when they add their own "I loved it too." What pretension to assume that their "I loved it" is any more insightful then the last "I loved it."

Just between you and me, Darth -

*looks both ways*

I loved it! :)

And I fail to see how anyone could think Obi-Wan's genuinely warm and friendly smile constitutes part of a 'miserable' job! Personally, I thought it was very well acted. Nice to see another side to Obi. But I guess lots have people have already said that so I'll just run away and hide now...

17. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I really liked that scene, Ewan was excellent and very "human", not as stiff as in TPM. He really acted well, and it was my second favourite CG/Human interaction of the film, just behind Anakin/Watto.

18. rafterman

rafterman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I like it, great interaction and adds a new type of element to Star Wars...a 50s diner with droids and aliens....

19. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Zee-Zee, someone did bring up 'American Graffiti' in the old thread (I can't find it, my server moves too slowly. I'll grow old and die waiting for it).

I've never seen American Graffiti, but someone posted that Dex's Diner is an exact replica of the one in 'American Graffiti' and brought up the point that George always puts '50's stuff in his movies (Pod-racing is George's nod to drag racing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.