Anyone else from Western MD?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by saerah, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    This is most likely a long shot, but is there anyone else from the Western Maryland region? I live in the Deep Creek Lake area and unfortunately Baltimore and D.C. are both 3 hours from me...and Pittsburgh is 2 1/2 hours away. I know there are some West Virginians here as I do live just an hour from Morgantown [West Virginia University.]
  2. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    saerah, visit the Baltimore, MD forum. There's a member there that's from as far as WV. We have members living in all parts of MD. There's a member that lives in Salisbury, and he can't make many meetings because of his distance. But he still takes part in the discussions. Visit the forum and feel free to introduce yourself. You may find that someone lives pretty close to you.
  3. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    Thanks, I'll try that. It's a longshot that I could ever make any of the fanforce events though, which SUCKS.
  4. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow! And I thought I was the only one out here.
  5. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    Where do you live?
  6. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm in Cumberland. If there's a bright center to the universe, this is the town it's furthest from. And you?
  7. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    I live in Oakland, MD..even worse than Cumberland. [I was just in Cumberland yesterday at the MVA. Evil people!] I'm originally from downstate, so adjusting to the 'rural' way of life has been hard. My mom grew up here...but I have lived all over being a military brat.

I guess I can say it's nice that if i forget to lock the doors at night, or lock my truck door, I don't have to worry.
  8. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oooh... the MVA - Mofftarkin's Villainous Associates! I know the place all too well - they had the wrong VIN # for my car, and it has taken me 14 months to get it straightened out with them! Strong with the dark side, that place is.
    I actually grew up in a town in Pennsylvania even smaller than Oakland, believe it or not, so Cumberland is actually one of the larger places I've lived in.
    Have you got tickets for opening day yet?
  9. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    I'll be seeing the movie at Garrett 8 Cinemas on opening day...they are having a midnight screening w/o advance tix on sale, but I seriously doubt they will sell out. When i went to see TPM in 1999 there at the afternoon matinee, there were approximately five other people in the theater with me. I'll wait and see if I want to see the midnight showing, or the afternoon one.

Are there other people from our region? I've been in the Maryland Fanforce forum this week wondering if a "Western" chapter needs to be started, meaning west of Hagerstown, but I'm not sure of the interest. I do know that I'm not driving to Baltimore for meetings.
  10. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm actually going to see it at on a digital screen in Cleveland at 1PM. I already had scheduled off work for the day, so I thought a long drive would just add to the suspense. The Garrett theatre is the best one around here, and I'll definitely see it there soon. The ones in Cumberland are just terrible.
    Maybe a Western MD chapter would be cool if we could get some people together. Baltimore is definitely too far, though I might be willing to go once, just to check it out.
    Are you going to see it again on the weekend? One major benefit of a chapter would be having someone to go see it with. Family and friends just don't understand the obsession, I guess. It would be awesome if we got enough people together that we could pack a few rows.
  11. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    I thought about advertising it locally, either by posting 'flyers' and such around the Oakland & Lake areas. I'm going to see AOTC on opening day, and then most likely again this weekend. I at least do have some friends who will go, and my dear father actually would like to see it as well. It would be nice to get a group of people together to see it Garrett 8 soon.

12. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    Flyers would probably work. I could check out some other fan sites after Thursday(I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers), and could post some threads like this one too.
    I can get my family to see it once or twice, with the exception of my Mom, who is nearly as anxious for Thursday as I am. Unfortuneately, most of my family and friends are about 100 miles away in PA.
    What's your schedule like? I'm pretty flexible, so maybe we could see the movie and draw up some battle plans.

13. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    My schedule is very open for the month of May as I am on a bit of medical leave right now. [I'm trying to get a hold of a friend to see if he wants to go to the midnight showing of AOTC at Garrett 8, to no avail! :() Evenings or Sundays are typically the best days for me though.

I haven't been able to remain spoiler free unfortunately. I couldn't resist!!
  14. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would love to go to the midnight show, but I have to get up at 5:30 on Thursday to get everyone moving to get to Cleveland in time. Sundays and evenings are usually pretty good for me, too. Are you doing anything this Sunday?
  15. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    Nope, not that I know of. The best way to see any movie here in Garrett County, to avoid any sort of crowd, is to see the earliest matinee on Sunday. I checked times and it looks like 3:15 PM...but I need to confirm that when the local paper comes out on Thursday, because typically this theater has different times for weekends and weekdays. I don't trust what I see online.
  16. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    The matinee sounds good. I tried calling the theatre, but it doesn't have the weekend listings up yet.
  17. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, I usually don't find out until Thursday afternoon, when the local paper releases it. I don't think I can manage the midnight showing later tonight, I'm tired! But I will catch the 3:15 matinee tomorrow. I can't wait to see it.

Should I post about this on the maryland forum just in case [it's probably a long shot] there are others in the area interested?
  18. seantree Jedi Padawan

just read this thread after reading about a possible get together for a sunday viewing at the lake.

my fiance and i are in cumberland too! many of our friends would probably be interested in meeting around here. please email me if you'd like to talk more or get together sometime. swirlygrrl@charter.net we don't post in the boards often and i only ventured in to the fan force section to see what was going on in this area (thinking it'd be a far cry to find locals.) we're thinking of going to amc tonight at the cc mall to the later show if anyone happens to read this before then!
  19. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    Did you find out about the showtime yet? I've tried calling the theatre a few times and the line is always busy(wonder why?) I'm anxious to see the difference of how it looks on a regular screen versus digital. The digital screen I saw it on yesterday was UNBELIEVABLE! No movie ever looked like that before. The color, the detail, and the effects were just absolutely perfect. I might actually get out to see it again this evening as it was way too much to absorb in one showing.
  20. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi Seantree,
    Nice to see more fans in the area! What time were you guys thinking of going this evening?
  21. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    Hey seantree--I will give you an email today.

I saw AOTC yesterday in Garrett 8 and now want to see it on a digital screen. I'll be able to next month when I go to Florida to see my sister. She has a digital theater 15 minutes from her house, grrrr.

I'm still digesting the movie...but think some of the acting was lost with all the digital effects.

Edit: Vermano, i don't have your email. I'll post the times for Sunday showings here, as I also did in the Maryland forums:

12:05
    12:25
    3:05
    3:25
    6:05
    6:25
    9:05
    9:25
  22. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ooops! It's vermano@hotmail.com. Gonna put it on my profile now too. The DLP screen is Awesome. They have one just outside of DC now, too. I'm going to see it on that one at some point for sure. If anybody in the area wants to carpool, we can plan something out.
  23. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    I'll see it in digital in florida as the theatre is a hop, skip and a jump away. Sometimes I really hate travelling to D.C. I've been down there twice within the past nine months...once to see Tori Amos @ the DAR in October, and then again to just go sightseeing with a friend who had never seen D.C. I definitely have to be in the mood ;)
  24. Vermano Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree with you about going to DC. It's a long drive with the reward of lots of traffic when you get there. It seems to bother me more now that I don't deal with it as much. However, I did see the movie last night on a regular screen, albeit a lousy one, and it's like watching through glasses covered in fingerprints versus clear, clean lenses. After seeing it digitally, it's very easy for me to get in the mood. :cool:
  25. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    I can't wait to see it in digital! I mean if you guys really want to travel down to D.C. or Annapolis as a W. MD FF trip, I would go. I'm lucky because I'll get to see it in Florida next month, but i know for some people here getting to a digital theater would be nearly impossible.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.