main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else NOT planning to see ROTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by durga2112, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durga2112

durga2112 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't think I've seen this topic addressed before, so I may as well be the one to start it. ;)

My wife and I have two kids: a 19 month old son who has never spent a day of his life apart from us, so any time we go to a movie (or anywhere else, obviously) we take him with us; and a 9 year old daughter who is quite sensitive about "scary" movies. This obviously limits the kind of movies we can see in theaters, not to mention that it costs a ridiculous amount of money if we want to see a new movie without waiting for it to hit the second-run theaters.

Up until this past week, our plan had been to wait for ROTS to hit one of these theaters - or a drive-in - so we could all see it at a greatly reduced price. But after reading the "parent's guide" article on TF.N, as well as another (spoiler-riddled) article off the site, I think it would be best for us to just wait until the DVD is released so we can enjoy it at our leisure and show our kids the parts they'd be able to handle. The real kicker was when the TF.N article said that kids who've seen LOTR should be okay with ROTS - anyone want to guess what is the scariest movie series ever to our daughter? ;) Also, she freaked out when Padme got cut in AOTC - I'm only guessing that things don't really get better for her in this movie.

As a lifelong SW fan, it feels very strange to know that I won't be seeing my most highly anticipated movie of all time along with everyone else. But as a parent, I know it is the right decision.

So, anyone else in the same boat as me? And if so, what are YOUR reasons for not seeing ROTS right away?

*anticipates the sound of crickets chirping as he realizes he's the only one*

2. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    "...a 19 month old son who has never spent a day of his life apart from us, so any time we go to a movie (or anywhere else, obviously) we take him with us..."

Have you ever heard of a babysitter? ;)

Can't you go and see it by yourself? I can't imagine your wife would deny you the opportunity to see the last Star Wars movie ever in a theater - and at a good one, not one of those crappy 2nd run theaters with a degraded print.

3. durga2112

Oct 14, 2004
    [face_laugh] I figured someone would bring that up quite quickly. :p

I would never be able to enjoy a movie knowing that my son was with a (to him) complete stranger. We have only been living here for less than 2 years, and we have no family and no real close friends here - i.e. there is no one that I would trust to take care of him for that length of time.

As for seeing it by myself, that's a remote possibility - mainly because of the fact that I don't particularly like going to theaters, especially by myself. Of course, there are exceptions to everything, so perhaps I will end up posting here in a couple of weeks about how much I enjoyed the movie. :)

4. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    "As for seeing it by myself, that's a remote possibility - mainly because of the fact that I don't particularly like going to theaters, especially by myself."

I'm not a huge of theaters, either. Mostly because I hate crowds. That's why I'm taking off work early to see it in the afternoon. Less people.

5. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    cant you just leave them in the street somewhere then pick him up after the film? we are talking about RotS here afterall..

6. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    I sympathise with your plight. But then again you sound like you have a great family so maybe its you who should sympathise with us ;)

Maybe you could go see it on your own and then if your wife wants to see it you could look after the kids as well. If the movie means a lot to you then I suppose you can come to some kind of arrangement.

7. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    I'll watch your kids while you go to the movies.

Just put them on a plane to Phoenix and then I'll send 'em back when you're done watching the movie.

Me personally? I HAVE to see it on the big screen with all the correct sound. I personally like the theater experience.

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I understand that you don't feel well about leaving them. But what about a family member? Grandmothers, grandfathers, uncles, aunts? Do you have an close family that knows the children? But I guess you don't have close family nearby.

You wouldn't have to go to the film alone. If you leave your wife at home, and go with a friend. A guy from work or something along those lines. So you could still go to the cinema with someone.

-Seldon

9. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Just take them to the theater and use the "Earmuffs" technique like on "Oldschool." When the scary parts come on, just say, "Earmuffs, blinders."

10. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    GET A BABYSITTER!!!! George Lucas commands you!

Too slimy for spoilers!

11. Kesel

Kesel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1999
    I just want to commend you for being able to put the well being of your children ahead of any personal desire to see a movie. Even if it may be the greatest movie of all time. :p

Seriously though if I were you I would wait until DVD. You can enjoy it at home with your family that way, plus you can pause at scenes that are scary for your daughter and watch the really cool stuff over and over when everyone's asleep.

12. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I'd still try and make it to the theater though. For me there is nothing quite like the experience of seeing a movie in the theater... especially a star wars movie, I'd even go alone

13. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Once we have the names of the people not going to see this film, I want them killed before the madness spreads.

14. HanShotFirst

HanShotFirst Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I personally hate seeing movies by myself... but trust me Star Wars movies don't apply. You MUST see the movie on the big screen!!!!

15. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    You're one hell of a parent, I'll say that. Putting your kids before Star Wars is admirable.

16. durga2112

Oct 14, 2004
    So, I'm the only one, then? Thought so. :p

I should mention that I also opted out of seeing both Matrix Revolutions and Return of the King for similar reasons - so it's pretty much a trend that I miss the concluding chapters of my favourite movie series. [face_laugh]

17. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Does that mean ya skipped Police Academy XIV until it came out on DVD?

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, it's not like that would've got a theatrical release anyway :p

19. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    This is why gameboys and iPods were invented! Man, your crazy! I'd sell my children (If I had any) to see this movie on its opening night!

You could of cause see the movie seperatly, like you go into one showing while your wife takes the kids into Hitchhikers or Vallient or something, then she sees it while you sit through robots or what ever thinking, man that was kickass!

20. Child_of_the_Sith

Child_of_the_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    "I should mention that I also opted out of seeing both Matrix Revolutions and Return of the King for similar reasons - so it's pretty much a trend that I miss the concluding chapters of my favourite movie series."

I think it is realy cool that you would opt out of seeing two of the greatest movies of all time (RotK, RotS) to be with your kids. Very admirable if you ask me :)

21. -diVe-

-diVe- Jedi Master

Jan 15, 2002
    Yeah, I think the best method would be to just cover her ears and eyes when the "not suitable" parts occur.

Of course, you'd have to know when the "not suitable" parts would occur. Hence, you'd have to either spoil yourself or see the movie ahead of time and make notes. And I have no idea how many parts would be "no suitable" for your daughter.

Is your son old enough to comprehend movies?

22. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    Well i won't be seeing it until a week after it comes out, crowds in theaters annoy me. Yeah yeah, blasphemy i know :p

Will see it during the day with my wife and uncommonly quiet 3 year old son at an uncrowded off-the-beaten-path theater. Not too concerned about the violence or whatever, the boy can care less really, loves R2 though. As long as the droid doesnt get hacked in two, will be ok, he wont make a peep.

I'm more concerned with annoying people cozying up next to me and jabbering the whole time on the stupid cell phone(yes it happens ALL THE TIME).

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I have a strong admiration for you. Congratulations, that sounds like great parenting if that's where your priorities are.

As for the baby, they do have special showings at theaters in my area of big movies for parents with infants/toddlers. So you could've tried that.

The only thing I could think of in your situation, though, is trying to organize a special "trip to Grandma's" or something fairly soon. Then, while your there, leave the kids with your parents and you and your wife go have a night out (read: see EPIII). Alternatively, if you had a day off work (or took one), you could go see it at one of the aforementioned "parents w/infants" showings during th day, while the older daughter is at school.

Those are my two best solutions for you.

24. Freedom_Fighter

Freedom_Fighter Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    all i have to say is thank god i'm only fifteen right now and i don't have kids to worry about cuz i am gonna see this movie in the theater (hopefully on opening night) if it's the last thing i ever do.

25. durga2112

Oct 14, 2004
    Haha, well, I still haven't seen the movie, but I ended up getting spoiled anyway. We bought the ROTS story book for our son yesterday, and he could NOT wait to read it when we got home. So I now know everything about the movie that can fit into the 20 or so pages of a children's story book. :p

But from a spoiler that I read months ago, I know for a fact that there is at least one important subplot that isn't touched upon at all in the book, so perhaps I will still have a few surprises when I get to see the movie. :)

BTW, sounds like an awesome movie, and reading the story has only increased my excitement about it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.