main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone Else Notice This In ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ChewieWe'reHome, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I remember as a shallow little boy watching that scene thinking: "Thats not the drop dead gorgeous Padme i'm used to seeing?!" But now re watching it as an adult, I think to myself "Damn, she may not look like a super-model in that scene, but she's very pretty in a realistic, down-to-earth, real-life way."

mes520 likes this.
  2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    And people think MY writing is worse than Lucas'. I know bad writing when I see it and this was...just bad writing, simple.

3. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    I'd prefer Lucas directing and coming up with the story while someone else screenwrites. However Lucas does have little gem's he comes up with every once in a while (assuming its him doing it) even he and carrie fisher said he's not very good at dialogue.

4. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I very much prefer Lucas directing, coming up with the story and screenwriting. He´s quite good at all three things.

5. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    I think he's great at all of those and he seems like a very nice person but maaaaybe help him with any romance dialogue :D

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm just wondering why "Natalie Portman isn't as good looking in this scene" warrants its own thread.
    I'm also wondering why it is men (and women, but let's face it, mostly men) always feel the need to comment on a woman's looks. I don't see many threads about Ewan McGregor's looks, or Hayden Christensen's.

7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

What I know is a bad argument when I see it -- for instance, an argument that simply states an opinion as fact without any further justification. You're just stating your opinion as fact, plain and simple.

People don't playfully flirt in "good" writing. All they are doing is being playful and flirting, and when people flirt, they often say sillier things than what they say. In fact, why don't you try telling a woman, "You are so beautiful," and watch for the reaction. My guess is it will be pretty positive. If you look at it on paper, it is very plain and simple writing, like how people often talk, but since they are teasing and joking around when they are delivering the lines, that shows that they don't take what they're saying seriously, so neither should the audience.

Pretty awkward writing in my book is: "If you're looking for the bright center of the galaxy, you're on the planet it's farthest from." or "Hold me like you did like you by the Lake on Naboo so long ago when there was nothing but our love." People don't talk like this. And people really do talk like this: "And now that I'm with you, I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should have never given me, hoping that kiss will not become a scar" (how can a kiss become a scar, anyhow?)

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No real people talk like that. Only people in GL's weird erotic fantasies [face_sick]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

That was supposed to be "And people really don't talk like this!!!!"

GL says that dialogue in the fireplace scene is meant to reflect that they're immature and overly sentimentally romantic, but I don't think there's any explanation that can make those lines feel right.

Just a thought. It would be hilarious if some big time Star Wars fan included those lines in their wedding vows.

jaqen and Darth Downunder like this.
  10. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

There might not be specific topics made about how Hayden or Ewan looked, but, there are comments left by many people in various threads pointing out how good looking those two are.

Now, speaking for myself, I am of the mindset that there is nothing wrong, at all, with pointing out how beautiful someone (man or woman) is as long as it is done in good taste.

The scene in question is just such a deviation from Portman's beauty that it has led to a conversation about it as to what may have happened.

I don't see anything wrong with it, with that said though, I am very much against the over-use of political correctness... So my mindset might not be PC enough for some...

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  11. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

Yes, I think most here are just exploring the minutiae of the scene, as we do with all of Star Wars. People noticed she looked different in the scene and are trying to figure out why.

BTW, someone else earlier in this thread noted that this is the one scene in which Padme's hair wasn't pulled back. Since this was filmed in re-shoots while she was doing her work on V for Vendetta, she may have been bald at the time (as she was in V) and been wearing a wig to disguise that fact. A tightly pulled back hairstyle might be too hard to emulate with a wig. I don't know.

mikeximus likes this.
  12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    So there's this site called "The editing room" that has a comedy version of the script, and my favourite part of the entire thing is this little gem where he also comments on Padme's appearance in mentioned scene;

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
    You know, I love you with all the love one can love a lover with.
    NATALIE PORTMAN
    Wow, that almost tops your 'wish' line from the last movie. Tell me again on the balcony while I brush my hair and look vaguely hideous.

Fantastic. Just, fantastic.

jaqen, Darth Downunder and mes520 like this.
  13. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Hm, didn´t find it funny. At all.

14. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    A dream maybe...Or it was just in his head all along. He created that scene in his mind because he cant acceppt the truth.
    Why is this the only scene that comes off weird? Also Padme is suprisingly happy.
    Truth is: Anakin is a mentally ill husband maybe even abusive. Padme is not happy at all and also scared (like Wendy from The Shining.)

15. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

I don't even have a "problem" with it, per se. I don't think she looks ugly in that scene, just different. So it stuck out and I've always wondered if it was just me who saw it.

16. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Really? I think she is freaking scary and ugly in this scene! But that's you, LOL:p

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd say this post adequately describes my problem with this thread.

18. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007

That is very shallow. [face_plain]

That is what a woman looks like not dressed up. (Well, a Hollywood version anyway.) She actually looks like a real human being in that scene. Rather than a super model or a china doll.

19. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Okay, this is becoming too off topic LOL, but I know women in real life who are much beautiful than Natalie/Padme here.

End of off topic....

20. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007

You are the one that was making antagonistic comments for us not thinking a woman is ugly simply because she is not wearing makeup and hasn't been to the salon before bedtime.o_O

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Women are not obligated to be beautiful every second of every day just to satisfy whatever ocular eccentricities you might have.

Not even actresses. Especially actresses who are supposed to be playing characters who are growing two people inside them. I was actually disappointed in the nightgown. Nobody can sleep with ****ing beads on their shoulders. Not if they are side sleepers anyway. The beads would bore into the skin and wake them up.

And pregnancy is not a good time for sound sleep regardless.

22. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

And people are entitled to have the opinion of what they find beautiful and what they don't as well. While I don't think the way Jo Lucas expressed their opinion was in good taste, none-the-less they are entitled to have an opinion of whether they think someone looks good or not.

After all, most movies never even come close to trying to portray realistic beauty, and Star Wars is no different in how the men and women appear. Anakin is given the "swashbuckler" look in ROTS (with the long hair) to make him look attractive and more like a hero, to look like a stud. Lucas asked him to muscle up for the role in ROTS.

Again, not condoning making comments in poor taste, but, because someone wants to point out that an actress in a particular scene isn't as flattering as she is made up to be in other scenes isn't a case for the PC brigade to start harping.

jaqen and ChewieWe'reHome like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's the "PC brigade" to be absolutely ****ing tired of actresses being viewed as nothing more than objects?

24. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Then take it up with the people who make the movies that portray them as such. But be fair about it and make sure to stick up for men that are objectified as well. Like I said, Anakin was given a certain look to make him look like a stud. However, I don't see much disgust with that...

It still doesn't mean that a person doesn't have a right to individual taste of what they find attractive and what they don't.

Again, not condoning that someone be allowed to express it in an insulting manner.

25. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    I was just sayin... there are woman I know in real life who are beautiful and don't use make up.... Padme is ugly here (IMO) and she is not using make up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.