main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else prefer Palpatine as he was before he got his face melted?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tyber_Zahn, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyber_Zahn

Tyber_Zahn Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 20, 2008
    From his point of view the Jedi were evil I suppose.

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not even that subjective though.

PALPATINE: The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger.

Regardless of what caused the degeneration, the attempt on his life either dispelled the mask or melted his face.

PALPATINE: The war is over. (applause) The Separatists have been defeated, (applause) and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning.

This is all literally true. Vader was killing the Seps and the Jedi's rebellion (to defend the Republic's ideals) was ended (as far as Sidious knows) when Mace died.

He then goes on to say the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, which is of course, true.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine has no problem with lying to the Senate.

That could still be viewed as supporting the theory that it was his true form.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Ivebeenwingingthissincethebeginning

and I heard his sock was

EUcontinuitymattersNOT

5. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Absolutely . . .

From ROTJ shooting script:

BEN
    . . . So what I have told you was true... from a certain point of view.

LUKE (turning away, derisive) A certain point of view!

BEN
    Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own
    point of view

And from the ROTS shooting script:

ANAKIN: I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over . . .

OBI-WAN: From the Sith!!! Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil.

ANAKIN: From the Jedi point of view! From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

6. Tyber_Zahn

Tyber_Zahn Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 20, 2008
    You'll notice Obi-Wan didn't say "from my point of view Chancellor Palpatine is evil" he just came right out and said it.

7. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    Well, it would normally be a difficult idea to dispute. I mean...the guy is a bastard. Seriously.

But then Anakin evokes the POV deal and presents an alternative way of thinking.

Perhaps this is where Ben's more philosophical ideas take root [face_thinking]

8. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Right, but it's the only explanation referred to in the films. I'm not saying Palpatine doesn't lie or deceive. He does.

Yep. It would simply show that Palpatine had reapplied whatever he was using to hide his disfigurations more recently in RotS. It simply implies Palpatine was masking his true form in some form, while what I was referring to was the audience seeing a constant withering away of Palpatine throughout the series.

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    If the wrinkly face was his true form, why would he present his Palpatine "pretty face" while hanging or talking with Maul, Gunray, Dooku, Grievous etc? Wouldn't that, if anything, make it easier to recognize him under the hood?

I always thought he was too busy enjoying the success of destroying the Jedi and gaining a new apprentice to stop and say "fricking oww, my face! this sucks!"

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maul and Dooku know what's up.

I would also point out that we saw no scarring in the movie. Palpatine has grooves in his face. In the same places he had wrinkles before the event. Coincidence?

11. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Uh oh, that sounds like an absolute! Sith Alert! Sith Alert!

I like Palpatine all melty because it adds to the "This guy is totally nuts" thing. I don't know, I guess it works with the chaotic vibe in the last bit of ROTS.

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    That can be made to coincide with the mask theory as whatever Sith ability he's using to hide his true face could simply take so long to apply that's impractical to turn it on and off everytime he talks to his apprentices and servants.

They don't all correspond to his wrinkles. The ridges on his forehead don't as an example. He also lacks almost any wrinkles in TPM.

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Melty Palpatine (RotJ ONLY) > Monkey-Woman Emperor > Non-Melty Palpatine > ESB-DVD/RotS Melty Palpatine.

14. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Shameless scenery-chewing > Genuinely good and subtle performance ?

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Really well-done scenery-chewing + a script that really lends itself to glorious over-the-topness > Good 'serious' acting + an overwrought and painfully dull script, yes.

16. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    We'll have to agree to disagree. One Coruscant office consultation is worth more than all the incessant cackling and banal, repetitive "Give into your hate" Dark Side mantra we heard in ROTJ.

17. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Does anyone else think that the TESB/ROTS Melted Face looks different to The original version seen in ROTJ???

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yep. Palpatine's face often has a more yellow tint in RotJ, but even when you get them both under light that makes his face seem white, they look pretty different.

[image=http://beanbagcentral.com/ccosas/img/042305palpatine.jpg]

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/5d/Darktimesbegin.jpg]

The main difference seems to be that his skin in RotS is less mottled and the wrinkles are deeper.

19. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    I knew it, they just are not the same looking. I watch ROTS and TESB, and I just can't see them as the same. How comes they can do all the Space Battle's, they can create a Clone Army, yet they can't get the Face of Palps to look the same - surely the orginal mask is around somewhere?

Thanks for that, Master_Skywalker

20. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    IU, the differance could be attributed due to healing and also aging. He's probably at least in his eighties in the movie, so he is going to shrink some in his face. ;)

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    No problem and I think part of why they couldn't duplicate it is because both Palpatines are simply make up put on Ian McDiarmid. And I think they probably wanted some differences given that as EECHUUTA pointed out, Palpatine's around 20 years older in RotJ.

22. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    True, trouble is the TESB suffers with the same problem.

Was both Palpatine's Make-up (not masks as previously suggested), I never knew that.

23. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Yeah, he does look different from ROTJ in ROTS. But in those 20 years surely his skin would become more naturally wrinkly looking, as it does in ROTJ.

The problem is that in ESB, he looks exactly like he does in ROTS.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I just think the makeup in RotJ is infinitely superior to that in RotS/ESBdvd. RotJ looks like an actual character's FACE, whereas the newer version just looks like the big fake makeup appliance that it is.

25. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I forgot the Palpatine ghost because I usually watch the O-OT. :p

That is a problem though, and yeah both Palpatines are a mix of traditional theatrical make-up and prosthetics.

I do prefer the RotJ one though as it looks more like it's a face as Keiran mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.