main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else prefer Palpatine as he was before he got his face melted?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tyber_Zahn, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithlord715

Sithlord715 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2009
    Alright, I'm sorry, but I have to let this out. To those of you who believe that Palpatine's face was melted and scarred by the lightning, I implore you to think again. Most other SW sources, and a hint of common sense, will show you that the lightning simply melted away a mask which hid his true Sith appearance. If the lightning "scarred" him, then why did he suddenly get his Sith eyes, grow pale as all Sith do, and get bad teeth? The mask which was melted away simply showed everyone how he once was, and how he would be had he been not a Sith. After all, being a Sith, he can't simply walk around with his true appearance. Something tells me that wouldn't be very discrete, and that somehow, everyone would know what he was. Also, with the illusion that the lightning did in fact melt and scar his face, he could convince Anakin and the entire Galaxy that he was deformed for life due to the Jedi attack (as he states in the Senatorial Speech).

Furthermore, you forget that his voice was undergoing a series of pitch changes during the moments shortly after Mace's death. His voice, as his appearance, were disguised, and when his outer mask was gone, there was no reason to keep his true voice hidden.

Sorry if this has been said already, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in

Now, on topic: I agree that the "pre-lightning incident" Palpatine had his pros. It would have been cool if he would have simply gotten his Sith Eyes and grown paler, as someone pointed out, showing that by the time of ROTJ, most of the wrinkles on his face were due to a severely old age. However, I did like the true Sidious look we all know, and seeing him face of Yoda (which is something I've wanted to see since I was a small boy) was amazing

2. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    His voice changed, but he did not sound like the Emperor from ROTJ.

I would have prefered however that his exterior features didnt change sooo much. Because it simply does not look like the Emperor from ROTJ.

I love the Emperor the way we knew him from the OT.

3. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I agree. I don't think Force Lightning causes Sith eyes and bad teeth at all, otherwise Luke should have had them. And the only other people who had them were Vader and Maul, and neither got shocked.

I concede that there might be some parts of Palpatine's face that were affected by his Lightning, but it might be where there are puffed areas. The other stuff is what was 'underneith.'

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I think you might have missed the part where I prefaced my display comment with: "in all the PT..."

But I agree with you, there are quite a few greater displays of the Force within the EU, Starkiller's absurd exploits included.

5. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    No, he doesn't. But honestly, I prefer his ROTS/ESB voice. The deeper, more gravelly, slow voice is more intimidating than his ROTJ voice.

Watching ROTJ Sidious is weird now. The voice has actually started to annoy me a bit.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    There's a character named Sidious in RotJ?:p

7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    If you ask me, he comes across as Vader's evil, naggy grandmother.

"Eeet was I who revealed the location of the shield gen-ah-ra-tah! Eeeeet is quite safe from your peeetiful little baaand!" (Picks up sewing needle.)

8. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.