main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else prefer pro sports over collegiate sports?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthTunick , Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I can't be the only here who does so. :p I cannot stand, for the most sport, college athletics, no matter what good purpose they serve.

2. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I agree with you 100%.

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, for the most part i don't like them either. everyonce in a while will i watch something... but that is very much the exception to the rule.

:snoopy

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I stand with you 0% :p As in, I completely disagree. But that's pretty well documented around here ;)

5. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Absolutely. I love my Huskies, but I'll take the Celtics over them any day of the week.

6. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I like every college sport better than pro except tennis and soccer.

7. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Count me in. Outside a bowl game or March Madness, I have zero interest.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Depends on the sport. Or maybe it's just because my college (University of Memphis) sucks at football and our NBA team isn't good and the games are hard to watch (ignorance is bliss). I love the NFL, don't care about college football.

But don't really keep up with the NBA as much as I should for living in a city with an NBA team, but then again our college basketball team kicks arse.

I still try to show both bad teams some love out of loyalty, though. Poor Grizzlies. :(

9. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, it depends on the sport.

When it come to baseball, for instance, I prefer MLB over college. The sound of an aluminum bat makes me cringe.

I like both college and NFL football equally.

When it comes to basketball I prefer college over the NBA. The NBA is barely above the fixed nature of pro wrestling with all the 'superstar'/pecking order calls.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It depends on what you mean by "prefer"

I can sit down and happily watch just about any two college teams play a football game or a basketball game. It's why I'll watch Binghampton play UMBC, and why I'll watch the TheForce.Net Arena Bowl matching MAC 7 against MWC 6.

I can't sit down and watch to random pro teams play. You'll never catch me watching a Clippers-Kings game.

So, from that point of view, I prefer college sports.

But, as to living and dying with my teams? No contest. I live and die with the Indians, Cavs, and Steelers much more than the Buckeyes and anyone else I follow in college.

And, like DT, the *ping* of aluminum bats makes me cringe. I've vowed to start following/watching college baseball when they switch to wood bats.

11. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Pro Sports > College
    Football
    Baseball
    Hockey

College Sports > Pro Sports
    Basketball

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I hate the way the rankings are done in college sports. Rankings should be based primarliy on win/loss. A team that's undefeated should always be ranked above a team that has one loss.

13. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    I agree with you. Except for when it gets to the finals, I rarely watch a college game. Well, I'll only watch one or two college teams during the year, I ignore most of the other games.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    TheForce.Net Arena Bowl

We SO need this!

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

[face_laugh] [face_laugh][face_laugh]

16. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Not everyone worships (and I mean literally) Lebron, Kobe, Wade and the 3 party. Which is all the NBA is anyway, star worship.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    For your information, I worship the whole team, not just Kobe. I will be a Laker fan until the day I meet my demise.

18. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    If there is a college game on, I'll watch it regardless of sport, really. I do tend to put NFL and college football on the same level for my personal viewing taste, however. Either will do just fine. Overall, though, college sports own yer face, Tunick. O:) :p

NBA really has to be something good for me to go for it. I can dig great players making great plays, but following a team for an entire season? They play a bajillion games, and they're all equally dull. Jogging up and down the floor. Whining about every call made. Cherry-picking for easy baskets. Carrying the ball trying to spin or do some trick. And, my personal favorite, taking eight steps to the basket and never getting called for traveling (you can't convince me otherwise, either). Now, they're also good at shooting at the pro level (they've had enough practice at this point), so that means they'll shoot from way behind the arc and still make it after taking a dribble or two over half-court. Who the heck cares at that point really?

Maybe they're too good... they don't have to work as hard and it shows. That just means I really don't want to watch it. :p

I'm Trikes and I approve this rant.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd rather watch any pro game over any collegiate basketball game, simply due to the fact that in a lot of college basketball games, your lucky to see either team score more than 65-75 points. That, and the aesthetics of some the uniforms (the t-shirt thing underneath the jersey, where the arms of the t-shirt are exposed longer on the arm than the jersey) drive me bonkers.

20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Plus, college basketball has a lot of silly rules that make no sense. Jump balls simply alternating between who gets possession? Blech. Being able to rebound the first missed free throw of a multiple-free-throw attempt? Double blech.

And, like Tunick said, the evil T-shirt under the jersey thing.

21. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    This is your number two reason for not watching college basketball? o_O Tunick, you're gonna kriffin' drive me bonkers. I think there's a single shirt hanging out in the current banner, none in my UNC banner, and one on the Duke banner.

You, sir, are done! :p

BTW, everyone in the first five to ten slots on the AP poll averaged above seventy points a game this season, with UNC averaging ninety, and Duke and Wake Forest around eighty. Just watch ACC basketball and apparently, you'll be fine. ;) But, really, what's point total got to do with anything when it comes to pro players playing an extra eight minutes? Top three in each conference right now average around one hundred points a game, with the Lakers topping out at 107 or so. An extra eight minutes would bump many top college teams rather close to NBA numbers.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's not like I'm ever going to convince you to see my side on this, Trika. :p

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I think the scoring thing is more exaggerated than actual. Certainly, there is a difference, but keep in mind, NBA games are 8 minutes longer. The average NCAA team scores about 68 points per game, which translates to approximately 82 points in an NBA-length game. Yes, this is below the NBA average of 99, but the difference between 99 and 82 is much less significant than 99 and 68. It also depends on the conference - an average ACC team this year would have had 88 points in a 48-minute game, which is even closer to the NBA mark. Big East this year would be 89. Admittedly, Big Ten would be 79, but even I don't watch much Big Ten (sorry, Inty! :p) Big 12 would top 91.

Also, one NCAA team this year is scoring more in 40-minute games than two (nearly three) NBA teams are in 48 minutes. That team (as well as another) would be outscoring ANY NBA team in 48 minute games. (UNC is the second of those two, for the record [face_frustrated]) So yes, there's a difference, but its not that big.

Also, I agree with Trika's rant

24. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Of course, but you're complaining about the shirts?! WTH, Tunick?! :p

"Putting our differences aside to convert the pagans of pro worship since 2009... but only by agreeing for a brief few minutes at the time."

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I happen to appreciate and love the beauty of a 41-38 shooutout in the Big Ten. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.