main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else prefer pro sports over collegiate sports?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthTunick , Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Free college for the vast majority of them is a pretty good deal.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Vast majority? Hardly. Sure, most of the football and basketball players at major universities are on scholarship, but this is really a small fraction of college athletes.

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I prefer the pro athletes getting paid more and more, rather then the owner pocketing even more cash.

I'm sorry, but when the players on the field/court are making the owners a crapload of money, it's only right that they get a cut of that.

It's not messed up that they play for millions to me. It's messed up that college athletes play for nothing. They're making their schools a ton of money(especially if they go to a bowl game in football) and they get nothing from that. College sports is the biggest scam in the world.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm not saying its wrong for them to be paid - far from it! They deserve to be paid, and I'm one of those who thinks college players should get a stipend, or at least a relaxing of the ultra-strict rules that sometimes prevent them from being with close family members on their deathbed (to use one example). The problem, however, is that many pro athletes care far more about the money than they do the sport. The sport should still come first, but it doesn't.

This is also why I applaud those few athletes who are willing to take pay cuts in order to help their team keep/sign another good player - clearly for them, its not all about the money. Unfortunately, this is relatively rare.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Because the pool of talent in baseball here is greater than the collective pool in other countries. Also, to the U.S.'s detriment, it's mostly college players (I believe, I could be wrong) who played in the Olympics for the U.S., the best weren't sent.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    So America's level of competition is awesome, yet its not being put to the test?

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Pro NBA players weren't even allowed in the Olympics until 1992. Then Jordan, Malone, Robinson, Bird, etc. showed the world how it's supposed to be done.

8. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    The tournament has reminded me of a major plus that the pro game has over college ball- I hate hate hate hate hate the 35 second shot clock.

9. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Except for the free tuition, room, meals, books. Don't forget, some of the money they're bringing into the school is going to pay their tuition as well as the big money their coaches are making.

10. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Nobody would care about college sports outside of the students, faculty and nearby community if it wasn't for gambling.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That is very much not the case. I was a college sports fan long before beginning college, and I have several friends who were as well but certainly could not be considered part of the "nearby community". And none of us have any interest whatsoever in gambling.

Even for NCAA brackets, I fill plenty out - but I never put money on them.

As for students, either you take the view of "current students", which is easy to disprove because there are a TON of college fans that are alumni moved well out of the community, across the country or even farther but still follow their schools... or you take the view of "current or former students" which given how many people in the US today go to college, makes up such a large portion of the US portion as to render your statement meaningless.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, I agree completely. If by nobody, you mean a small percentage of people.

Seriously. There are people who follow it from a distance for a multitude of reasons: histories, bands, scouting for pro teams, watching small college student athletes who play a game to play it, not to get rich, etc.

I honestly don't think gambling is near the top of the reasons people follow college sports.

13. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    You're right. Tuition, rooms, food and a few books is worth the same amount of money that they bring into the school...

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Following college sports because of a school band? Oye vey.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep, I know plenty of those types.

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    TBDBITL has almost as many followers at the football team.

And, I should point out, nearly as many haters and nearly as much ego, too. :p

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I seem to recall back in high school being given a CD of them as a gift for some reason. [face_plain] 8-}

18. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I always care about by team before winning any money in any fantasy that I am in.

Ex. I picked Wisconsin for the first round & Marquette to the second round. Either of these two could win it all and I would be happier than sin.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Nobody gets paid as much money as they bring in. That's how you make profits.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I never said they should get paid as much as they bring in... I said the worth doesn't equate.

If an employee makes you a million dollars in a year at a business and you're paying him a 50,000 dollar salary, something isn't matching up right.

21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    If an employee makes you a million dollars in a year at a business and you're paying him a 50,000 dollar salary, something isn't matching up right.

That happens everyday.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    No, people who make their employers that much either get paid more or go somewhere else where their new employer will pay more.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That is so, so, very sad.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Hey, the "one time in band camp" line didn't become common without reason :p

25. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    People have different opinions dude. Just like you can't understand our interest in college sports, I can't understand your hate of March Madness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.