main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Anyone else really love Luke's/ Mark Hamill's voice?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008
    I know this might sound like a strange topic, but I did want to post this...

He has a such a nice, rich, thoughtful voice. Also sounds very compassionate which is perfect since he's trying to turn Vader back to the good side...

His voice is in Return of the Jedi is especially great.

I know he's done tons of voice work for cartoons by the way heh.

DarthDuckie likes this.
  2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    You can tell where you're at in the trilogy by the way he uses his voice. In ANH he sounded whiny and impatient, very true to the character. He wanted more to life than the farm, and when life was thrust at him, he went from zero to hero. In ESB, he's a respected commander in the Rebel forces and he commands as such during the battle of Hoth. During his scenes on Dagobah, he is brought back down to size and realizes he isn't all that. Nevertheless, his brashness gets him in the end as he insists on abandoning his training to save his buddies and he is reduced to an injured & scared noob. In ROTJ, his entrance is full-on Jedi Knight. He handles himself very differently in that last movie, especially in Jabba's Palace and during his introduction to the Emperor. The character makes a tremendous change throughout. I can't wait to see what Hamill delivers for the ST. I assume he'll be an Obi-Wan type character.

TX-20 and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    He's underrated all right. I've just finished the radio dramas and he was superb. Really missed him in Rotj .

4. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Indeed he's particularly good in ROTJ. Not only the voice, but also the sense of maturity and tragic he conveys in most of the scenes.

Great acting performance.

5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    He does a lot of voice work on the show Metalacolypse, you'd never know it watching it. He's become a pretty talented voice actor

6. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    His take on the Joker is classic. Until Ledgers performance in the Dark Knight I think Hamils in the Animated Series was the best Joker. I do agree that of the big 3 he got the most character development and he did a good job showing it from being the whiny callow youth in ANH to the wise Young Jedi in ROTJ.

7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I hope he uses his voice talents to alter his voice in the ST. His high voice doesn't fit with his appearance. It's almost like a kid's voice coming from an older man. I'm sure he can alter his voice to give it more gravitas and to make it closer to what most people associate with an older person.

8. GrimStride

GrimStride Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2013
    He was great in his role as Luke. I think he did the character justice .

Finding out that he had been the voice behind the Joker was quite the surprise for me . I still remember watching an interview with Kevin Conroy , when the camera moved to the left and there he was . At first i couldn't recognize him because he was a bit older but a second later it hit me like a ton of bricks. His voice work increased my respect for him as an actor

9. Darth Metatron

Darth Metatron Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2013
    Excepting the much ballyhooed "Toschi Station/Power Convertors" line, yes he's quite good voice wise. His collective work in OT is severely overlooked for how good it actually was, and he played the maturing of the character extremely well over the three films. His voice work in animation shows a fantastic range, and serious ability, to the extent I think we've missed out in him not getting cast in more TV and film work outside of animation.

I realize the infamous "Power Convertors" line and scene serve a purpose to show the characters age and his stifled feeling at his lot in life, but it just went a tad too far into the whine zone even considering that.

I see what darth ladner means, his normal speaking voice is a bit youthful but I think back to the serene sternness he played the Jabba Palace scene with and expect an older version of that in ST. In recent interviews he's alluded to giving some thought to the Luke character at an advanced age, and I'm sure he'll nail it 100%.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Anyone here play Kingdom Hearts? You should hear Hamil's voice as Master Eraqus in KH: Birth by Sleep

I have high hopes for his performance in the ST

11. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    I'm certainly glad that Mark Hamill has been able to carve out a pretty good career of voice-over work, given his car crash in early '77 really took away the opportunity to become a "leading man" type.

Besides the Original Trilogy, I liked his performance in Corvette Summer, but that was filmed not long after his reconstructive surgery, and it was easy to see that his boyish good looks were gone.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.