main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Anyone else remember those old pastic mask and vinyl smock Halloween costumes of yore? (IMAGE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Oct 26, 2014.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember when I was five, I wore pretty much this same Batman costume for Halloween:

[​IMG]

and looking back on it, don't you think it's rather silly they just had to put Batman's name on his chest, and the Bat-symbol on his forehead, as if you couldn't tell he wasn't Batman?

But that's how silly these costume were, with pictures of the characters on the costumes themselves and the like. Here's what a kid going out trick-or-treating as Boba Fett in 1980 had to look forward to:

[​IMG]

(is it just me, or did the artist who did the artwork on the costume use the old Kenner Boba Fett action figure as a reference?), as compared to today:

[​IMG]

It's so unfair nowadays that kids get Halloween costumes that stay pretty identical to the source material, when we got plastic masks with rubber bands that hurt like heck and vinyl smocks that, if you were lucky, didn't get ripped at the end of the night from all the trick-or-treating.

Another reason to look at these costumes with a WTF? attitude: the ones made of unlikely characters, like the leather guy from The Village People:

[​IMG]

or abstract concepts, like the Atari video game Asteroids:

[​IMG]

So, what memories do you have of these type of Halloween costumes, and do you want me to post links to photo galleries of them?

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I remember sweating profusely inside them and almost vomiting from sickness. [face_sick]

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i have fond memories of my johnny space commander mask.

[​IMG]

yankee8255, Kenneth Morgan and dp4m like this.
  4. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Cheap plastic fumes will do that to a kid.

5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Oh so thats why I still enjoyed it. 8-}

I had a Road Runner Foghorn Leghorn, Tweetie Bird Stormtrooper and skeleton.

6. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember in the first grade (which was in '83), I had this G.I. Joe costume:

[​IMG]

(Yes, back when the 1980s G.I. Joe revamp had all the Joes wearing green, before they loosened their dress code.)

ShaneP likes this.
  7. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    "Clone Power!" *throws up fist*

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Grunt! Marvel's GI Joe rocked my kid world. Coolest action figures too.

9. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    First one I can remember was a skeleton costume that was a hand-me-down from my older brothers, so you can imagine what kind of condition it was in when I wore it. Next year I went out as Scooby-Doo, then moved to costumes where I didn't wear a mask, and that probably scared people even more.

So what did everyone haultheir candy around in? Paper/plastic bag, plastic jack o'lantern, or one of Mom's pillowcases?

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yes I had a Baby Bop one. I assure you it was an enormously terrifying sight.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My candy was always in a plastic jack o' lantern, thanks!

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I remember thinking those costumes looked cheap and silly even when was a little kid. No, I wanted realistic-looking Boba Fett armor. I had no concept of how expensive that would be and how it wouldn't be worth doing for a dumb holiday.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    [face_talk_hand]

Home made costumes FTW.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    One year in college I bought the largest Skeletor costume they had. Cut it at the waste and was actually able to wear the top. Couldn't stand to wear the mask for more than a few minutes at a time.

16. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember it would be in a plastic bag that we would get free somewhere, that my parents got from work or something like that.

17. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    [​IMG]

1979 Halloween costume courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Spiderman.

I probably had Spiderman underoos on as well. Still do.