main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else remember Time Travelers on 23rd Ave?

Discussion in 'Archive: Quad Cities (old board)' started by GarbageChuteFlyboy, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarbageChuteFlyboy

GarbageChuteFlyboy Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    I'm probably showing my age here, but I remember collecting the old Marvel Star Wars comics and the old West End Games Star Wars RPG materials at a store called Time Travelers. This would have been in the late 1980s and into the early 1990s.

Time Travelers used to be located on 23rd Avenue in Moline, down by McKay Music. If I remember correctly, it was run by a guy named Bob. There used to be a Hungry Hobo store right next door.

Anyone else remember this place? Anyone know whatever happened to it or to Bob? I just have some fond memories doing my comic book/gaming run and then picking up a King 11 sandwich.

2. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Holy smokes!

I remember Time Travelers!

My cousin and I would go there all the time, but that was over 12 years ago.

I don't remember what happened to it, but it's just fun to see someone else who remembers it. :D

We used to go to alot of different places.

Anyone been to Tim's Corner?

Latre! :D

3. GarbageChuteFlyboy

Aug 1, 2002
    Glad to see someone remembers TT. It wasn't the prettiest of places, but it fed my comic/Star Wars hunger.

Sure, I've been to Tim's Corner several times. I used to be big in the comic scene from 1983 to 2000 or so. It just got to be too much, between comics and Star Wars goodies. Star Wars won out.

Unfortunately, I don't live in the QCA, but I hit Tim's Corner from time to time when I am in the area and have free time. I also run into Tim occassionally up at Wizard World. He is a nice, nice man.

Nothing like the smell of hot dogs simmering, the sound of pinball games, and someone arguing over who was the greatest Green Lantern...

If I remember correctly, for about a year or two, there was a Tim's Corner II in Milan. Someone set up a shop north of the old Showcase Cinemas, but it didn't last long.

Anyone else have fond memories of comic shops in the Cities???

4. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Yeah, I don't live in the QC anymore either.

My cousin and I would spend all Saturday at Tim's eating chili dogs, and he would give us free games on the pinball mechine.

I never played the Tron game, just wasn't into it.

I collected comics between 1983-1992, but by then I was buying $30 worth of comics a month, and was also going off to college, so I stopped.

I lived in Davenport, but my cousin lived in Rock Island, so we would usually visit card shops and comic book shops in Illinois.

We would often go to the one that was in Moline, but then they moved down the hill and changed their name to ABC collectables or something like that.

I also remember Tim's II. We would go there after seeing a movie. But your right, it didn't last long.

Tim is a very good guy. In the last couple of years he has gone though some family troubles, but he never loses his love for his customers.

I miss those Saturdays, they were some of the best times in my life.

5. GarbageChuteFlyboy

Aug 1, 2002
    Oh yeah, I remember ABC collectibles, too. They were down the hill from the old Trinity Hospital. I remember hitting them after going to Tim's Corner.

Glad you remember Tim's II. Boy, does that ever seem like forever ago.

I used to hit Midwest Collectibles, over on the Iowa side as well. Good memories... Time Travelers, Tim's Corner, ABC Collectibles, going on comic runs, etc.

Bummer to hear about Tim's struggles. I didn't know anything about it (plus I don't see him except every other year or so). Any chance you could share some of those details with me? You could email me them at rmschneider104@yahoo.com, if you are willing. I'd just like to know so the next time I don't go in there and open my mouth and insert my foot.

Thanks for sharing some great memories, M-J-S!

6. qcjediDave

qcjediDave Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2002
    YES! I remember now. I used to rent regular nintendo games from there. you know, that relic that came after atari. I also got my first comic book from there. If I remember right, back then there was even a showtime video on 23rd ave.

7. GarbageChuteFlyboy

Aug 1, 2002
    qcjediDave,

Yup, TimeTravelers used to rent videogames and VHS tapes as well. They had quite a selection, if I remember correctly.

Boy, does that ever a walk down memory lane!

Anyone else remember TT? I'd be interested in knowing whatever happened to the owner. Always seemed like a nice guy.

8. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Hey, no problem GCF! :D

In case you didn't see, I PMed you what I know about Tim's problems.

I remember all of those places as well. The Iowa side just didn't have the same amount of place to go to as Illinois did.

I also remember Showtime Video qcjediDave. :D

Man, was that along time ago.

9. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Found Time Travellers when i was scouring the QC for Usagi Yo Jimbo books.
    You ILLinois boys had all the good shops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.