main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else think "The Duel" was going to be better?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SecondBest, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    If there is a thread on this, go ahead and lock. But I was just wondering, did anyone think the duel between Vader and Obi-Wan was going to be better? Sure, the emotion was there. I wasn't disappointed or anything, but I thought it would be longer and more powerful on screen. The ending of it was terrific, though. But I had been looking forward to this since Episode 1, and it just fell short to what I expected. Did the Sidious/Yoda duel overshadow it a bit?

2. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    it worked for me, i thought it was to be a little longer, but i did'nt have a stop watch to time it. lol.
    anyway i was not dissapointed in the least.

3. Master_Bumpy

Master_Bumpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2001
    I thought that a new thread from an 03er would be better.. Does that count? JK

4. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    The edited a lot of it out I believe, in the screenplay there was more dialog between Anakin/OB1.

5. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I thought it was going to be a lot better. Most of the dialogue leading up to the duel and even parts during it were a little corny.

6. Forced-Induction

Forced-Induction Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    i for one was satisfied with the Vader/Kenobi duel as there is only so much fighting you can do on top of molten lava - any fighting beyond that would require NEO to kick some serious rear end.

7. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    I actually looked MORE forward to Yoda/Sidious. I know this may put me in the minority but i did. I pretty much got what i expected out of the actual dueling from Vader/Obi-Wan but was extremely surprised by the acting performances. Especially from,"Don't try it Anakin" on. I feel it was the best acting performance in the SW saga ever.

8. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    It worked for me. It was longer, but edited. Still its the longest baddest duel in the saga.

9. JFKIII

JFKIII Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    Yes. I thought it was going to be more creative, entertaining, and uncut. As it stands, it looks like GL has something else he can re-edit in the future, IMO.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Yeah, I expected it to be better than it was, but hey, I still enjoyed what they came up with.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I thought it was great.

12. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I for one am extremely disappointed in the duel.

Granted they are moving fast, but its so close up and quick cuts that you cant see anything. In addition, the clashes of the lightsabers are so bright you can hardly make things out.

I also thought the moves, music, and dramatics were handled alot better in the EPI fight.

This one fell really short for me. I also found the end of it...where Obi cuts off the limbs...a little anti-climatic. I was hoping for something more that Obi did some nice move or something instead of the high ground crap...especially in light of the fact Maul had the "high ground" in TPM. I thought it was lame.

I also thought the Duel didnt need any lava surfing crap...took me right out of the moment. Once again, GL thinks FX makes things better. A shame he hasnt learned a thing since TPM came out.

Count me in on the disappointed side.

My fav SW duels:

1. ESB
    2. TPM
    3. ROTJ
    4. ROTS - Yoda vs. Sid
    5. ROTS - Anakin vs. Obi
    6. AOTC
    7. ANH

13. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    It was actually better than I thought, due to the way it was intercut with the Yoda-Sids duel.

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I for one am extremely disappointed in the duel.

Extremely? I'm extremely surprised by that. We waited decades for this, most of that time thinking there would never be another Star Wars film. I have no idea what people were expecting. This was the juggernaut of all duels and man did it deliver baby.

15. MandalorianKid

MandalorianKid Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2004
    The only thing i would have liked on a persoanl level would have been for the end uf the duel to have been sudden very much like jango's head. As soon as obi got "the high ground" you knew that was the end of the duel. even if u had not viewed the spoilers ahead of time.

16. --OWNED--

--OWNED-- Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Yes, i thought it was going to be a lot better. The Blue V Blue looks awful and that lack of contrast between the sabres and the awkward up-close angles Lucas shot at (presumably to try and make it more intense and less operatic ala TPM Maul duel) really lessens the dramatic impact imo. Half the time you can hardly see what's going on.

Not a patch on Sids v Yoda or the TPM duel with Maul.

17. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    "This was the juggernaut of all duels and man did it deliver baby."

How so? Just curious as to what exactly did this clash of the titans provide you?

I thought the Duel started off fine, but right after their Force push against each other, I thought it fell apart and became disjointed.

And you didnt find the end of it a little anti-climatic?

Sure the dark side clouds judgement, but still...thats it?? I would have expected more from Anakin.

In addition, no real spectacular saber moves?

Aside from their flimsy kicks on the table...no real other physical contact between the two?

And I didnt like the cut right to where Anakin grabs Obi's throat...it cut right to that scene from Yoda vs. Palps...I think a little buildup to that moment would have been better.

I dont know...I just wasnt exhilarated. I was a little bored while watching it.

Mind you...I am just talking about the duel itself. Anakin burning up and Obi's emotional plea at the end of it I personally dont count. Thats after the duel is done.

18. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I thought it might have been a little longer, the opening dialogue and closing moments were as good as I expected, and the initial part of the battle before it cut to Sidious/Yoda, but it just didn't feel as long as it had been hyped up to be. It'll take a few repeat viewings to decide, but TPM duel may just edge it.

19. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    It seemed a bit anti-climactic to me. Parts of it were cool but a lot of it was just ho-hum. It seemed to end very abruptly too.

20. -Syn-

-Syn- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 24, 2005
    I, for one, loved it. I thought it was going to be a little better and a little longer, but it's still my favorite duel.

21. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Honestly, I've always been a fan of the "old school" style of lightsaber fighting seen in the OT. It's slower, more poetic, and allows you to really appreciate the true beauty of the lightsaber.

The final duel was mesmerizing, but it was a bit too quick and choppy for me. Enjoyed the scenes of them trying to "force hold" each other much better.

22. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    I think there was more "umph" provided in the backgrounds and locations than there was in the combatants themselves.

I keep thinking how Lucas and McCallum kept saying this fight is long and will cover the most area and will be shown on several locations...something like that.

I think that was part of the problem.

23. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
    It could have been better. The whole film could have been a lot better.

Berg

24. smackfu

smackfu Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    I was slightly disappointed. I was expecting a long, intense, personal battle, but the fight I saw seemed to focus more on the environment than the epic battle. Most of the fight time was spent watching Anakin and Obi-wan escaping environmental danger while taking random slashes at each other. Remember the shot in the trailer, of Obi-wan and Anakin fighting infront of the bursting lava explosions? I would have much preferred more a more simple, personal battle like that than watching them surf around on lava flows, jumping on droids, swinging from cables, etc. All that distracting crap just castrated the potency of the battle in my opinion. The beginning and end were great, but most of it just seemed to lack focus.

25. DARTH_CRISPY

DARTH_CRISPY Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2005
    "Granted they are moving fast, but its so close up and quick cuts that you cant see anything. In addition, the clashes of the lightsabers are so bright you can hardly make things out. "

That's because you didn't see ROTS the way it was intended to be shown.
    Go watch it in a digital theater and you will change your tune, my friend.

The film version flat out sucks. Its a whole different film. You will see the difference. Everything is bright and clear. If you can't get to a DLP theater, then it sucks for you. But its worth a long distance trip. I talked to people who drove for hours at my digital theater to see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.