main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else think "The Duel" was going to be better?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SecondBest, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    The duel was actually the only part of the movie that was not dissapointing. I would have prefered for Anakin to have broken his neck or spine as well as being set on fire.

2. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005

please explain what is a "scissor" move, and where can i watch this so-called Back in Black video

3. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
    True, but ESB only has two cuts in it. I think if they only cut to the Yoda duel twice, most people would have been happier. Also, in terms of violating precedent, this is also the first and last time two best friends and heroes face each other. It's probably the most important duel in the saga (or at least the most emotional), it certainly deserves to stand out. Of course this is just MHO.

Ditto.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Isn't the Back in Black video the Ep3 sneak peek on the OT DVD? No idea what the "scissor move" is though.

5. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
  6. Wrongway

Wrongway Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I think the only reason you thought the duel would be longer is because you hoped it would be longer. When I watched it for the first time I was totally acceptant of everything I seen. But when it came to the end I just couldnt get enough. I was hoping it would be longer but satisfied with what we got. :)

7. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    I felt exactly the same way.

As a bonus, I got thrills from all the punching and kicking. This fight seemed a lot more physical and angry than ANY other.

Rock and or ROLL!! [face_dancing]

8. adamlee

adamlee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 12, 2004
    I was satisfied with the duel.And when the Duel of the Fates theme came in,I got goosebumps. I mean it hands down has the best fighting we have seen.I loved the duel in TPM but when this one started I was literally having a hard time keeping up.I was blown away. What makes it special is what is at stake.
    Now having said that, the Duel was not perfect,.But nothing is.I would have liked to see Anakin pull out a red lightsaber.I truly thought the dialogue was weak.Didn't Rick Mccallum say that the words would cut deeper than lightsabers?(or something like that) I still thought it was an amazing battle.Some things will never be good enough for people.And it STILL is probably my second favorite film in the saga.

9. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    We were told during filming that the duel was 12 mins long and continuous, so I think this is what people are on about.

The back in black video was a promo made by lucas for ROTS using actors talking about sw and using alot of footage mainly of the duel without any effects, to ACDC's Back in Black. This promo was for people like sponsors and got leaked on the net. It was great because they were still shooting at the time and were still a long way from seeing a teaser trailer

10. bad4good

bad4good Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    I liked some of the practice footage better than the duel itself. Whatever happened to the part where Anakin and Obi punch each other? Also what happened to the part where Anakin dodges a thrust by simply moving his head?
    I thought the duel was going to be waaaayy better personally. I liked it...but it left me unsatisfied.

11. ArchAngel_06

ArchAngel_06 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    I honestly had no issue with it. I personally didn't like the Sids/Yoda duel myself.

12. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    They had hyped the duel up to be longer and more intense.

I still loved the fight, and consider it one of the greatest fight sequences in film, but as for expectations, I did expect more talking akin to the OT battles, and I expected it to be the 12 minute finale that they had said it would be.

13. TopSpeeD

TopSpeeD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2005
    By pure moves and clarity of the battle i feel that the TPM duel is superior..
    BUT the emotional context and the background (story) of the ROTS duel is unmatched by any duel in any movie..

so yeah the ROTS duel was the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Yes I would have definatly liked more dialog between Obi-Wan and Vader during the duel like the OT duels.

15. GrandAdmiralPaul

GrandAdmiralPaul Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    the duel was tight, you saw a lot of things you've never seen before, a force push standoff, drop kicks, swinging saber fights, and all kinds of cute what nots, but it would have been cooler to see some fury of the darkside, maybe some combination darkforce powers or something awesome i havent seen the darkside do on camera. something that would have made obi wan go :eek: and poot himself. the only thing i miss seeing is more of sidious owning yoda, i love that stuff.[face_mischief]

16. Mimih1221

Mimih1221 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    I think Episode III should have been titled Obi-Wan Vs Anakin and have the duel last the entire 2 hour 20 minute running time. Seriously though, I was happy with the duel, although I did miss some of the action they showed in the Episode III preview on the OT bonus features

17. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Loved it. Ran a little long, but only because the other duel
    was intercut with it.
    I could have done without the end of the falling tower
    scene, through the lava waterfall and running jump,
    and the floaty platform.
    I felt the momentum lagged in these scenes.
    But I still liked them, merely a matter of personal preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.