main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else too attached to the core characters to care about the Live-Action Series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by drg4, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    From what I've read, the upcoming series will chronicle the exploits of bounty hunters, Jedi and Rebels. This comes as something of a disappointment, as the saga's principal players are so endearing I balk at the prospect of seeing them eclipsed. Who else would gladly sacrifice the 100+ planned episodes for a mere half dozen hour-long offerings of:

--Obi-Wan's trials on Tatooine, centering around isolation, conflicts with Owen, tortured memories of Padme/Anakin, instruction from Qui-Gon, and the revelation of Vader's transmutation

--Young Luke's preternatural stirrings on the homestead

--Young Leia's glimpses into Alderaanian intrigue

--Yoda's high-octane escape to Dagobah

--Vader's acclimatization to the Sith Order

--Palpatine's habits at court

--Tarkin's ascension

Isn't THIS the stuff we want to see?

2. Marth_Gaul

Marth_Gaul Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2006
    No, the Saga is complete.

As much as I enjoyed the PT, I didn't necessarily agree with everything Lucas altered/amended from the OT, and quite frankly, I don't want to see Lucas or anyone else mess around with those icons.

I think once we get over the lack of familiar faces, we'll be drawn into the GFFA, this time without expectations as to how certain characters will act.

If it's anything like Battlestar Galactica, it's going to be great. Also, a show like Star Trek (I know, bad example for many SW fans) has had many iterations, yet manages to keep the old fans and attract new ones.

3. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Nah. I've been through so many stories featuring secondary and "background" characters, not to mention the stories that take place in entirely different eras, that it's the universe that matters to me more than the core, particularly the big 3. I still like them of course, but whatever LF decides to show us in this show, I'm sure I'll be interested.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've always found it's the stories about the secondary and background characters that fleshes out the universe to the degree that maintains and evolves my interest in it- you can only watch a movie so many times before it becomes the same experience, but fleshing out those details can revitalize and provide new or fresh experiences upon subsequent viewings.

Beyond that, it's usually best not to overdo the focus on certain major characters, especially in the era the show will be exploring, or you risk it feeling forced.

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Another point that has to be said is: Who would want to watch a show about the main characters with different actors? That would knock a lot of the focus out.

However, if they were able to acquire Ewan McGregor for a TV series . . . ;)

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    No way. I've had enough with the Skywalker story and would actually be looking forward to the live action series less, if it was going to focus on the Skywalkers and all the familer characters that go with them. Give me new, iconic characters and interesting stories, any day. :D

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ::raises hand::

I'm of the opinion that the characters are more important to the audience than the actors portraying them, and that the audience would be intelligent enough to understand why roles would have to be recast in order to give them the stories they want to see utilizing them.

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I understand what you're saying. But put simply, I wouldn't want to watch another Obi-Wan on my television screen. That said, I guess it would come down to the acting performance whether or not such a thing would work. However, the risk of ruining some major character is just too great. Besides, I agree with everybody who's posted above. New characters are exactly what I'd like to see.

9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I somewhat do agree to the subject of this thread. I mean, I'm a hardcore Vader fan and to not see him in the series will obviously make the show less appealing for me. However, I do agree with most of the posts saying that Lucas has already messed up the perception of the characters and that it should all be left well alone.

But watching characters that have no real input to the saga, especially the OT, will make the show a little boring. I am excited in seeing some Rebel guerilla attacks on the Empire though, assuming we will see that. Plus I'm hoping for some Bobba fett because in all reality, I find him the most appealing Bounty hunter even though he has become mainstream and overrated.

I mean Lucas claims the SW saga is all about the Skywalkers, especially Anakin/Vader and yet makes a SW show with nothing to do with them. I find it hard enough to read EU about new and unknown characters, but to watch a whole show. I'm wondering how long it will hold out.

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    My assumption is that Lucas will say something along the lines of the films being the Star Wars saga with the Live-action show being further stories in that galaxy far, far, away.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd agree to a point- for any live action depiction of Obi-Wan post-ROTS, Ewan should be the choice (aged in makeup appropriately depending on when it's set). However, if they were to make a live action series or whatever set earlier, either during the Clone Wars or while he was a padawan, I could see them hiring another actor to portray the younger Kenobi.

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Fair enough. By the same token would you enjoy seeing a young Luke/Leia? (As a main character in the live action.)

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not as a main character, but maybe as a cameo like a kid-Luke glimpsed at with Obi on Tatooine brief scene or something.

Though I could see a kid Leia showing up more often if they focus on Bail.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Ha ha, now we're really getting off track.

I thought Ewan did a great job imitating/honoring/replacing Sir Alec; in the Tartakovsky shorts, their getting voice actors (generally) didn't bother me.

I'd just to get some new characters/plotlines to be interested in.

15. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I would like to see other characters developed; however, there has to be some epic weave into the prime story of Star Wars for it to be important. The decisions these characters make have to have some impact on the prime story that has been told in the films. I don't know how that can be done...but I think it has to be there in order for the show to be successful.

16. Torr_Fenn

Torr_Fenn Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2005
    I'd like to see them ressurect the ATMOSPHERE of the OT, and repair some of the damage done by the PT to that. To really take us back to the GFFA and not the other place the prequels were set in. Oooh, controversial!

17. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    In response to the original question, I don't see how you can be too attached to the core characters to not care about new ones. If the new ones are good characters and the writing is good, then I'll care about them too. I really just love the entire galaxy (minus the more silly EU stuff like the Yuzang Vong or whatever they're called).

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Leia, sure. Luke, no.

19. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    drg4,

Uh... where were you in 1999?

Couldn't this argument have been just as easily applied to the prequels? I mean, yes, there wer some OT characters there - but not as we knew them.

There will be some familiar faces we're told. Isn't that enough? It's a new show, but it's still part of the Star Wars story.

I'll bet you (insert silly dollar amount here) that the first glimpse that you get of this series will induce nothing but flaling drool to see the show. If it doesn't, then all I can say is get outta my way, kid.

20. AusCop

AusCop Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2005
    I welcome fresh ideas and fresh characters... Should be good i think!

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I be jus' hopin' th' rumors about 't focusin' on Boba Fett aren`t true on accoun' o' while I think that could be good I think focusin' on a Jedi(Quin since Lucas had Jan an' Jon make th' lad's live?) would be far more interestin'.

22. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    I think we're going to have plenty of characters to focus on, especially if they plan on giving characters spin off series. I envision some Jedi on the run, some bounty hunters after them, the Imperials being baddies, and the Rebels starting to become a small thorn in their side. The wonderful thing about the two TV series is that we have plenty of time to explore these wonderful little stories that didn't fit into the movies due to story line or time.

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    True, and we'll certainly get plenty of Jedi in the Clone Wars cartoon. I think they've also mentioned potential spin-offs so maybe they'll have the Jedi spin off, the Boba spin off, the Rebel spin off, etc.

24. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    Only George knows! That new TV Guide interview does say that they're going to start the live action scripts in about a month. I absolutely cannot wait!

25. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    No Jedi in the live action series. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.