Anyone else want to see Lucas make a racing movie?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    I do. A pure racing movie in the same sense of the classic 1960's racing movie Grand Prix. Not set in the past, the future or some distant planet. I mean a modern day racing movie with formula one cars and all that. Grand Prix is considered one of if not the best racing movie ever- I happen to think it's the best. But I bet Lucas could top it.

I think it's screaming to come out of him. He's shown us a number of chase scenes in the Star Wars movies as well as American Graffiti but I'd really like to see what Lucas could do with a pure racing story. It could have the typical Lucas ensemble cast like Star Wars or American Graffiti. The stud, the rookie, the vet, and so on.

Go on, George make a race car movie!
  2. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'd love to see Lucas do a race car movie just as long as it's not NASCAR. I can't stand to sit and watch cars go around in a circle for 5 hours. Grand Prix is another story, I enjoy watching it on the tv.
  3. Jon Jedi Knight

star 2
  4. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow ^^^^^, I'll pay to see that one ;-)
  5. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    If I win can I take Ashley home? :D

I could see a movie like this from him. Maybe about a farm kid who races and then meets this older, cynical racer who tempts him to join a small circuit in his fight against the evil global NASCAR?
  6. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    No NASCAR please! They go around in circles for hours in ugly cars. No way. I'm talking formula 1 cars; Indy 500, Monaco, Long Beach type of racing at very high speeds around the world.

[image=http://www.fluent.com/about/news/newsletters/02v11i1/img/a32i1_sm.gif]

Btw cool pic, Jon. ;)
  7. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

this is a very cool idea....of course he did touch on racing in both AMERICAN GRAFFITI movies, and of course all the SW films have a "speed" scene...but yeah, a Lucas movie about racing would be AWESOME. And it's a logical progression. Heck, even THX 1138 had a "racing" scene in it.

I feel the need for speed! :)
  8. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    Oh yeah I forgot all about the chase scene in THX and that was a sweet race car too.

See, Lucas needs to just go ahead and make a full-fledged racing movie, not just a chase scene or a drag race here and there!

With all the technology at his disposal it could be extremely awesome. Not just CG(minimal use of CG- this ain't THX or Star Wars!), I'm referring more to remote cameras, flying cameras and such to capture the racing action from a wide variety of angles.
  9. DARTHMORDOR Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah he has it in him. if anybody could make a good film about racing it's him. but my fear is someth like days of thunder. please god nothing that resembles that peice of crap in any way.

10. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    I was just going to say, "As long as it isn't like Days of Thunder".

:)
  11. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, Tonny Scott has a knack of turning sometimes ridiculous stories into highly entertaining movies. Although if I had to choose I would rather prefer seeing something like the Dakar-Paris rally.
  12. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I'd be sweet to see him make a NASCAR film...so long as ILM are not overly involved.
  13. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    What does ILM have to do with anything?
  14. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Anyone else want to see Lucas make a racy movie?

Ohh. Racing.

Meh. I guess.
  15. Jon Jedi Knight

star 2
    You've probably seen them, but:
    Red Bull Pit Crew 1, 2. :cool:

If only John Milner was still racing - could have had him training a protege... AG3:F1 :p
  16. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    Oh wow that is too cool! Hadn't seen that before. Thanks, Jon. :)

The first guy on the left is in a classic speeder bike position!

"If only John Milner was still racing - could have had him training a protege... AG3:F1"

Yeah really, Milner: the next generation. :D
  17. JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I really like this idea. Not really a racing fan but if there's someone who could make a movie about it that would interest me, it's George.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.