main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Anyone else want to see Lucas make a racing movie?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    I do. A pure racing movie in the same sense of the classic 1960's racing movie Grand Prix. Not set in the past, the future or some distant planet. I mean a modern day racing movie with formula one cars and all that. Grand Prix is considered one of if not the best racing movie ever- I happen to think it's the best. But I bet Lucas could top it.

I think it's screaming to come out of him. He's shown us a number of chase scenes in the Star Wars movies as well as American Graffiti but I'd really like to see what Lucas could do with a pure racing story. It could have the typical Lucas ensemble cast like Star Wars or American Graffiti. The stud, the rookie, the vet, and so on.

Go on, George make a race car movie!

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'd love to see Lucas do a race car movie just as long as it's not NASCAR. I can't stand to sit and watch cars go around in a circle for 5 hours. Grand Prix is another story, I enjoy watching it on the tv.

3. Jon

Jon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    He's [link=http://www.alysonhannigan.dk/alypictures/alypub/toyota/ap16.jpg]already started[/link]!

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Wow ^^^^^, I'll pay to see that one ;-)

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If I win can I take Ashley home? :D

I could see a movie like this from him. Maybe about a farm kid who races and then meets this older, cynical racer who tempts him to join a small circuit in his fight against the evil global NASCAR?

6. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    No NASCAR please! They go around in circles for hours in ugly cars. No way. I'm talking formula 1 cars; Indy 500, Monaco, Long Beach type of racing at very high speeds around the world.

[image=http://www.fluent.com/about/news/newsletters/02v11i1/img/a32i1_sm.gif]

Btw cool pic, Jon. ;)

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

this is a very cool idea....of course he did touch on racing in both AMERICAN GRAFFITI movies, and of course all the SW films have a "speed" scene...but yeah, a Lucas movie about racing would be AWESOME. And it's a logical progression. Heck, even THX 1138 had a "racing" scene in it.

I feel the need for speed! :)

8. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Oh yeah I forgot all about the chase scene in THX and that was a sweet race car too.

See, Lucas needs to just go ahead and make a full-fledged racing movie, not just a chase scene or a drag race here and there!

With all the technology at his disposal it could be extremely awesome. Not just CG(minimal use of CG- this ain't THX or Star Wars!), I'm referring more to remote cameras, flying cameras and such to capture the racing action from a wide variety of angles.

9. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    yeah he has it in him. if anybody could make a good film about racing it's him. but my fear is someth like days of thunder. please god nothing that resembles that peice of crap in any way.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I was just going to say, "As long as it isn't like Days of Thunder".

:)

11. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Well, Tonny Scott has a knack of turning sometimes ridiculous stories into highly entertaining movies. Although if I had to choose I would rather prefer seeing something like the Dakar-Paris rally.

12. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I'd be sweet to see him make a NASCAR film...so long as ILM are not overly involved.

13. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    What does ILM have to do with anything?

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Anyone else want to see Lucas make a racy movie?

Ohh. Racing.

Meh. I guess.

15. Jon

Jon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    You've probably seen them, but:
    Red Bull Pit Crew [link=http://www.itv-f1.com/ImageLibrary/33119_2.jpg]1[/link], [link=http://www.itv-f1.com/ImageLibrary/33118_2.jpg]2[/link]. :cool:

If only John Milner was still racing - could have had him training a protege... AG3:F1 :p

16. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Oh wow that is too cool! Hadn't seen that before. Thanks, Jon. :)

The first guy on the left is in a classic speeder bike position!

"If only John Milner was still racing - could have had him training a protege... AG3:F1"

Yeah really, Milner: the next generation. :D

17. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I really like this idea. Not really a racing fan but if there's someone who could make a movie about it that would interest me, it's George.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.