main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Anyone else wish they would have updated the Death Star laser?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Feb 5, 2015.

1. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    Out of all the things they updated in the OT, they left the Death Star laser more or less the same. It seems so dim and rather silly looking with you really think about it. As a kid, I was absolutely expecting a large BEAM to be fired from the Death Star, instead of a thin little laser. I mean, it's blowing up PLANETS after all.

Does anyone else feel the same way? We're you expecting more from this "weapon"?

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No.

I like it the way it is. It's not actually a thin little laser, it's noticeable in relation to Alderaan, which makes it big enough. How large do you want it to be? As big as the planet? I think that would look stupid.

I don't know anything about lasers, but doesn't increasing the "width" actually make it less powerful? The tighter the focus, the more powerful it is, no?

3. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    The only thing I ever had an issue with the Death Star was the fact the second Death Star STILL had a major flaw in it's design.

4. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    What flaw did the second Death Star have?

5. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Well, they never finished it, so that's a design flaw

6. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    No, it's not. Hopefully you're joking.

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Actually, as Palpatine said, it was fully armed & operational. It just looked like it wasn't finished.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Death Star's "unfinished" look helped surprise the Alliance. And the audience.

If we were looking at a finished Death Star, would we have been as likely to believe Ackbar when he said it wasn't operational? Or say, yeah, right, that's what the Emperor wants you to think?

9. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Very much so.

I don't buy that the Death Star was meant to look incomplete. A space freighter was able to fly straight to the core. I think they just prioritized the weapon aspect of it. Keep in mind that the second was larger than the first, and built in less time.

Iron_lord and Darth Schlotkin like this.
  10. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    Laser don't work this way...this would result in 8 separate different laser beams in different directions & not 1 ''converged''.
    I'd make it a crater-wide ''kamehameha'' [face_party] :cool:
    [​IMG]

11. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    This guy gets it!

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lasers aren't visible in space at all - only in atmosphere, where the light scatters off atoms, dust particles, etc.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Nope, it's fine the way it is. And I am glad Star Wars lasers show up in space anyway. :D

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The only thing regarding the DS that really bothers me is the computer simulation before the Battle of Yavin which shows its old (real world) design with the last along the equator. 'Twould have been easy enough to mend in one of the SE's

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like to think of them as "particle beam weapons" (given that a lot of the books describe them in that kind of language).

Before the superlaser was called a superlaser, it was called an "ionic beam cannon" (in Marvel Star Wars).

16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry, I don't really think it needs changed as for me it doesn't look very fake or silly looking. Besides star wars isn't known to be realistic in it's science anyways.

17. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    That bothers me too.

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The hell did I say "last" for? What did I mean? Lazer? I dunno I was tired lol

19. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    If it's not broken....