Nash, TN Anyone Else working on a website besides me?

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by JediToren, Aug 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    I spoke with Elan Rai the other day and he told me that all he really had done on the website was some small stuff so I told him I would be working on one. Well for the past few days I have and not to toot on my horn but it's sweet. It's ASP-driven so it'll be easy to update and stuff. Anywho, I was just wondering if anyone else had done the same thing. If anyone else has then we can join forces and come up with something better without having two people do the same job twice.

What I have done so far:

A layout similar to the TheForce.Net standrard page layout, but allot of differences.
    The layout is divided to three files, header.asp, footer.asp, and links.asp. Basically the page that you go to pulls the layout template from these files. The benefit of this is you can alter the layout by changing one file instead of dozens or hundreds.

I have a news managment system on the main page. It's ASP driven so you can login to an admin page and then using a web form create the article and it will be displayed on the main page.

I have an ASP-driven events calander. You login to the same admin page as the news manager and basically it works the same way, you fill out a form and it's posted. The events calender shows the current month in a regular calender format, each event is a hyperlink, that hyperlink leads to a full page of info on that event.

What I am going to do:

I am also planning on adding a page that allows new people to join Nashville FanForce via a web form. The results of the form will be e-mailed to someone maintaining the website (I will probably create an email account just for this) and then someone with admin access to the website can fill out another form that creates ads that new member to a member database, which can be viewed via the website.

What I am having trouble with:
    The news manager and the event calendar are free and seperate scripts that I downloaded from an ASP site. I am trying to intergrate them so the news page and the events page can be edited from the same admin interface. It works for the most part but I am still having trouble with the form for editing the events in the events calander. I should have the bugs ironned out soon enough.
    If your wanting to see something right now you will have to wait. I am gonna get the site functioning and then upload to one of the may free ASP webhosts that I know of and then let you guys try it out before we upload it to our permanant webhost.
  2. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    Sounds cool. Give us the URL when it's ready to see.
  3. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Can't wait to see it! :D
  4. RedZot Jedi Padawan

i cant wait to see it... i do a little webdesign too... nothing to do with ASP though....
    but if ya need help just holla!!!
  5. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have been working on my website and i can give you some help if you need it. my website is not completed by a long shot but I am intersted in working with you on the website
  6. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Well just about everything is finished. The only things that aren't ASP driven that I need to do or have someone else do is an about us page which basically has a short paragraph or two describing who we are and our history, with a little info on what fanforce is. I would also like two FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) one on membership, which I will probably create since it will require allot of knowledge about how the website works, and a general FAQ about both FanForce and our Nashville chapter. If you could write it and post it here that would be great.
    padmeamidala55: What sort of web design skills do you have? Do you know much about ASP or JavaScript?
  7. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know anything about java script I could work on the about us page for you right now bascially I am using a page builder for my wedsite i had a nice wedsite on homesstead but when they started charging for the website I discoted that I also had a really nice website at rebel pages.com but they shut down that website, but if you need my help I can learn how to do Java Script
  8. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Well if you could just write the text for the about us page and post it here then that would be great. I already have the design of the site done and basically the various components of the page layout are stored in 3 files and the server combines them to create the final page. The reason I did this is so if I wanted to change the page layout I only have to alter those 3 files and it's done.
  9. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    That's cool PA. Hama and I will get together and write the official "About Us", but for beta-testing purposes this is cool. :)
  10. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    what do you want the text to be about the nashville fan force? and about us personally?
  11. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Just more or less, that we are a group of SW fans that like to get together with meetings, have fun, go to the movies, etc. We will be collecting dues to pay for the website, etc. We will update it officially later, but go for what you feel. ;)
  12. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    does anybody know where i Can find some star wars background to put our text on?
  13. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    hello guys again I have got a text page started it has a background in it I'll e-mail it to you jeditheron when I get done with out other than that i am not going to tell you what it looks like
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.