main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone ever fantasize about a clean slate?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kendo_Bunny, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendo_Bunny

Kendo_Bunny Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2006
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who once in awhile wishes the whole EU could be started over (though definitely with Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole, Aaron Allston, and a few others). Go back to having the Big Three be youthful idealists, and maybe tone down the whackiness of some of their whacky adventures. Maybe a little less of Luke being the galaxy's most powerful emo kitty. Maybe no Jedi Academy books, or no Crystal Star, or no Barbara Hambly books. Maybe no NJO.

If you've ever thought about re-starting the EU galaxy from the end of ROTJ, what would you do differently?

2. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Witht he way things are going, I wish it would have been "happily ever after" witht he rolling of ROTJ's credits. Like Han and Leia getting married right away, not after that stupid thing with Isolder and Dathomir. That was the beginning of the end.

3. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    It was actually kind of realistic waiting that long. Han being a General, and Leia being an high ranking official in the Alliance/New Republic, not enough time to plan for a wedding. Post-Endor was especially chaotic for the Rebellion, they were fighting almost non-stop as well.

Oh, keep the Jedi Academy Trilogy, Thrawn Trilogy, X-Wing Books, etc. But toss out the god-awful, hopeless, dark New Jedi Order and most of Del Rey's offerings of Post-YJK.

4. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Clean slate? Never.

Happily ever after? Yes please

Passing of the Torch? Yes please

More people realizing that there's more to SW than just the Big 3's adventures, like KOTOR or Legacy for example? Yes please!

5. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Star Wars should have ended with the Endor celebration and victory over the Empire. I don't mean the PT should have never come out, as I prefer it to the OT, but everything after ROTJ, as far as I'm concerned, is peace throughout the Galaxy. Sure, there are problems with crime, smugglers, revolutions, etc., but no more epic wars, and no more Sith. Luke, Leia and Han earned their vacation. Give the Vong to Star Trek or Stargate.

6. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    No, but retconning a couple of things that stunk would be nice.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Clean slate? If it were the beginning and it had to be done over, I'd do thing differently, I'm sure. If we're talking about wiping out what went before and replacing it with something else, no way.

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Tough question. A part of me really wishes that star wars just ended. The 6 movies, love'em or hate'em have been a very big commercial success. heck, they've made money in the box-office, video's, laserdiscs, vhs, cable, satellite, network televison, and now dvd's. All the other stuff (toys, video games, books, comic books, tv cartoon series, and the like) has netted close to $20 billion dollars. Not bad, but, I would just like it to end. End it and have it be remembered as a part of history that changed the way we looked at science fiction -fantasy type movies, as well as the way franchises are built and sustained. I have noticed that the recent expanded universe stuff: KOTOR comic books, Legacy comic books, as well as the new LOTF series, mimiks too much of the endig of Episode 3. Too many redemption, betrayals, saviors, and always putting stuff in peril type stories. At the end of the Gen Con in July, one fan even said to Sansweet that LucasFilm was turning into a veil evil machine or something like that.

Star Trek is a perfect example of what happens when you keep things going and going. Enterprise ended and now , well, rumor has it there is going to be an 11th movie. Wonderful:rolleyes: . Maybe that is why I like series like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix. Cause they tell there stories, but then its the end. Much like the Halo video games. There is going to be just three video games and that is it, its over. Yeah, we get the movie and what not, and maybe a sequal or two, but it won't go on for 10 movies. I don't thats just me.

On the other hand, my other half wishes that star wars does continue. The reason is that now that we have GL's complete story (6 movies), the different authors, comic book writers, animators, and what not can now come up with a lot of stuff that the 6 movies couldn't tell, won't tell, and outright expand and create. There is so much that can be done just in 5 years alone. You got the comic book series coming out with cool stuff, the novels have the best contract with del rey (2006-2008). I mean, now if you notice, Del Rey has books coming out in all different eras of the timeline. The video games with the xbox 360 and the playstation 3 is set to wow us, and how can I forget the animation and live action television.

9. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes, I'd like to start all over again with a blank slate from the end of RotJ. No more DN, NJO, LotF, DE, Crystal Star, Black Fleet Crisis, New Rebellion, PoT, etc.

10. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I suppose a clean slate would appeal to some, and all of us would have done things differently given the chance. But despite the odd downer I'm quite content with the way it has gone and really don't see the point of starting again.

PS. Is it just me or do we get a new one of these threads every other week:rolleyes:

Edit. Although I think I have started at least one in my time here:p

11. SithSpit777

SithSpit777 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    For me, I would have had Mara and Luke get together sooner, and I would have NEVER killed off Anakin Solo.

And I would have let Jacen and Tenel Ka, Anakin and Tahiri, and Jaina and Jag pair off and stay as couples. Although, I think to make things interesting for Jaina, I would have had her marry Zekk first, and have Zekk as part of the NJO casualties. Then the relationship with Jag would have some sparks, but because of losing Zekk, Jaina would still love Jag but never truly be happy, hence fulfilling Luke's prophecy in the NJO (Which I would keep the same otherwise, btw).

12. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    I try to, but then I think of all of the stuff I'd miss.

Jaina and Jacen being born

Jacen and Tenel's relationship

Jaina and Zekk's relationship

Sal Solo's awesomeness

Thrawn and the other good Imp guy who's name I tend to butcher

Luke and Mara's relationship

The Yevetha and their radness.

Gah. I'd take a full restart over what we have now, but I'd rather see NJO and LotF and espescially Legacy cut out of the timeline. Spin those into some "Ultimate Star Wars" time line as is often sugested, and bring back the Bantam Golden Era where it left off. A move like this has been done before with DC Comics. They revealed that the 1940s versions of their characters were off having different adventures than those that the 1950s-+ DC comic heros were having and kept the statis quo like that for about 25 years.

A side benefit of this move is that it'd explain why the young Jedi Knights go all bonkers in Vector Prime and later books.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    No, never. The fact that it's all interconnected is the main reason I keep up with the spin-off stuff at all.

TC

14. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The fact that this gets brought up enough leads me to believe enough people do.

I do and I don't.
    If they do, I want them to finish off this strand first (Legacy).
    What I would really like if they do start over, is have each of the overal archs more organized, and actually keep each book as a special event like it was back in the TTT and even TaB and CopL days. Books feel more... rushed nowadays, less special and important.
    Ah well. I find what works best for me is seeing some stories as EU to the base EU. *Shrug*

15. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    How often has this question been asked this year already?

16. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    It is like it is, for better or worse.

If you want a clean slate you could pretend it ended with the movies and is continued with the Legacy comics.

I would really like someone like Stover or Traviss to write a DE novelization.

17. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Clean slate?

Oh god, yes!

With a real democracy, less idiocy and less superweapons. Oh, and no clone Emperor.

18. Darth_Angle

Darth_Angle Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 13, 2006
    Clean slate never. The NJO was what got me back into SW. Maybe scrub DN though.

19. The_Arbiter

The_Arbiter Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    Never. But I'd trash Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the early Marvel comics with their idiotic and nonsensical characters and villians, the Clone Wars animated series, the GODV series, the 2 million figure for the size of GAR, and call for an official canon that doesnt encompass every half-bit EU nonsense out there.

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The clone war animated series was designed for light humour, not to be taken seriously, you know. ;)

21. Darth_Angle

Jan 13, 2006
    I enjoyed it. It was shown at 7am here and always sent me to work smiling.

22. The_Arbiter

The_Arbiter Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    I enjoyed it tremendously. But there are continuity issues with Labyrinth of Evil and some of the things portrayed in the series are just too incredible to be taken seriously.

I vote that only reference books, novels, RPG/Space-sim games and comics should be in C-Canon.

I like the way the EU is going. Ironically enough, SW is one of those few franchises where nothing ever goes happily ever after, which is why I like it. It gives the galaxy a sense of mystery and danger that is so endemic to any great universe in eternal dynamic between light and dark.

23. Darth_Angle

Jan 13, 2006
    I prefered LoE as my lead in to RotS. I think my favourite two bits of the CW cartoon were Anakin and Obi-Wan on the bridge of a Star Destroyer and the Vader premonition in that cave with the generator thing in it.

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Haven't read it, but I would take a solid book as more official than a humour-inflected cartoon.

25. Kendo_Bunny

Kendo_Bunny Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2006
    Sorry, didn't realize this got brought up a lot. I'm back after an absence of like three years or so...

The EU has some fantastic things in it (like the X-wings books and the Timothy Zahn books), but personally I wouldn't care if every copy of The Crystal Star disappeared into a wormhole. Part of me does wish that we could start all over and pretend that Admiral Daala, for example, never happened. Less flavor of the week villians. Less Luke being alternatively whiny or a pseudo-Zen master. Definitely less superweapons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.