main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone ever fantasize about a clean slate?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kendo_Bunny, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Angle

Darth_Angle Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 13, 2006
    It's really up there with my favourite EU stuff. It felt like time was running out before the end game started.

I agree with pretty much all of that statement. =D=

2. The_Arbiter

The_Arbiter Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    I treat the EU like real historical fact in the context of SW. So I don't question facts except when they are contradictory. Like GODV, Marvel (which admittedly sounds like nonsense) etc.

I liked most of the Bantam-era books.

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

GODV should have been treated as the fun and light read for kids as it was. Incorporating it into mainstream continuity and all its silliness (Mt Yoda :rolleyes:) wasn't one of the best ideas. But I understand there were legal reasons to reference it, or royalties to pay with each time, so it made sense to just absorb it, the way that fat alien did to people in tonight's Love and Monsters Doctor episode.

4. Darth_Angle

Jan 13, 2006
    Peter Kay at his finest and Mr Bluesky as the soundtrack a cracking Dr. Who episode.

In some ways I'm glad I'm not a completist. There is so much I ignore.

5. The_Arbiter

The_Arbiter Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    Is the GODV then C- or S-canon? You've made it sound like S Canon, but apparently according to Wookiepedia its C canon.

Mount Yoda. Oh the agony. And Trioculus, Zorba taking control of Cloud City, Kessendra Stadium, the marriage that never happened, Ken, Lost City of the Jedi.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Was Peter Kay that alien who played Kennedy? I'm not gay, but I really liked him. I've not seen such persona, such theatrical flamboyance, since the old Doctor series. You'll never see such acting outside Doctor Who. [:D]

Never heard of S-canon, but I take things more in an E-canon perspective. ;)

7. Darth_Angle

Jan 13, 2006
    Yes he was Kennedy/Absorber Peter Kay the promoter of bitter and champion of garlic bread, it's the future you know. Possibly the greatest Englishman ever.

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Its C-canon. A lot of the stuff in it has been referenced numerous times.

As he says in the post below yours, Ex was talking about his, uh, E-canon; that is, his personal canon. I guess.

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Here's the thing. The original poster says it all: he'd like a clean slate, but he's got some personal favorites that definitely need to be maintained.

Everybody's got their own personal favorites. For personal reasons. A clean slate that wouldn't outrage a contingent of fans probably wouldn't be all that clean. Hell there's probably even a number of fans who like Jedi Trial.

10. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    This topic gets raised from the dead every month or so.

And the answer is still, NO.

GO AWAY BIG SCARY MONSTER! :p

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes.

I mean, it's not like the staples of the EU wouldn't return anyway. Only this time everything would be more consistant with the Star Wars saga as a whole.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
  13. Darth_Angle

Jan 13, 2006
    If the staples of the EU return what's the point?

Personally I wouldn't pay out all that money again for the EU Special Editions.

14. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    I agree. The only thing that is really off in the older Bantam stuff is the dating. I can live with a few incorrect dates.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, I meant the good staples. As opposed to the Darth Sidious ressurrecting, Waru emerging type of staples. I don't really care if they come back or not, but I imagine at least *some* would.

What I think I'd prefer to wiping the EU clean however is getting rid of the silly "lets include everything we can" policy. Some stuff should just be *thrown out*. Period. Not retconned so that it "works" (kinda), just flat out ignored, with the characters thinking that it didn't happen from that point onwards.

16. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Anyone ever fantasize about a clean slate?

Personally I fantasise about Jessica Alba.

But, you know, whatever gets you going.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Even if it's peanut butter and ham sandwiches?

18. MariusTraven

MariusTraven Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2003
    Overall, I have enjoyed the EU as escapist literature. The SWEU books are easy reads, and I can only think of a handful that I wished had been written better (or not at all.)

But you're right, there's been alot of clutter, and I think that's due to the fact that after the Thrawn Trilogy, the publishers were granting everyone who walked in the door the chance to write an EU novel. The problem was, there was never any real direction that they were taking, so they basically wrote what they thought were going to be interesting stories. The first few authors jumped all over the timeline, thereby hamstringing the writers who would come after them into pigeonholing there stories to make sure they tied things together.

That's when the sat down and decided that things like the NJO and LOTF that they would first plot out where they were going, and instruct the writers on how to get there, and maybe only have a few authors (Zahn, for instance.) write stories out of order. This has really cleaned up the EU in my opinion, as in less chiefs and more indians.

On a side note, however, does anyone else feel like the Legacy comics, while a great story, really mess up what's going on with LOTF novels now? Why should we care what happens to these guys when we know in a hundred years the Sith and the Empire both return and the NJO order is wiped out again? It's like what was the last half hour of Aliens for anyways, when you just killed of Newt in the first 5 minutes of Alien3....sorry, just ranting for a second.

19. Crox

Crox Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2006
    A clean slate? No. But I would like to see more infinites.

Because, even with Legacy, there's still plenty of questions. We've known from the start that the characters were eventually going to die. That happens to everyone. But we still don't know how or why it happens. It's about the journey, not the end result.

Also, the New Jedi Order isn't wiped out. Scattered, hurting, but not destroyed. And the Legacy Empire is much differt from Palpatine's Empire.

20. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    Agreed with all except for the great story part. I felt that the NJO silliness could be worked through in LotF, but Legacy hanging over everyone's shoulders is a real dampener.

21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Dinner_Squadron
    I felt that the NJO silliness could be worked through in LotF, but Legacy hanging over everyone's shoulders is a real dampener.

EXACTLY!!!! Legacy ruins any hope that things will get better in that GFFA. It instills permanent pessimism in the future of SW. Even if all of the problems that we see in LotF are resolved well and Jacen is redeemed or stripped of the Force or killed, any victory, stability, and peace that is gained will be extremely temporary. We already know that within a relatively short time, all will be chaos and darkness, and the galaxy will be back to Square One where it was at the beginning of ANH. In fact, it will be far worse because instead of TWO Sith Lords, there will be 10,000 of them.

This puts a downer on EVERYTHING. It's like there's no use in hoping for a great and happy ending to LotF because we already know it won't last and things will be far worse in that galaxy soon. :(

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So no problem should ever be solved because another one will crop up after it? It's not worth it to fix the leak in the roof because that kid down the street will break my window anyway? If doing a good thing doesn't wipe out evil forever, it's useless? Locking up a serial killer isn't much of a triumph for good because some nutjob will go on a killing spree twenty years later? Come on.

23. MariusTraven

Aug 25, 2003
    In the real world yes. In a Fictionalized World where the stories will have no resolution and it seems no matter the sacrifice the good guys lose again, because strife sells, no. And paperbacks cost 7.99.

24. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Havac
    If doing a good thing doesn't wipe out evil forever, it's useless? Locking up a serial killer isn't much of a triumph for good because some nutjob will go on a killing spree twenty years later? Come on.

It's not that nothing bad can happen in the future. It's the SEVERITY of the bad that bothers me. In less than 100 years after LotF, the galaxy will be in worse shape than it ever was in before. As a reader of LotF, it's annoying to know that no matter what the characters do or don't do in that series, they can't stop the galaxy from being taken over by 10,000 Sith Lords. They can't stop the GA from being destroyed yet again. (Though the old republic managed to last for a thousand generations.) I already know the characters are going to ultimately be failures. It makes LotF irrelevant and I don't like that at all. I TRULY wish that Legacy would have been set 1000 years in the future. That would have made SUCH a huge difference!

25. MariusTraven

Aug 25, 2003
    I would have been cool with the Legacy comics if that was how the EU story unfolded naturally. But now since we know where the galaxy is headed in the next 100 years, future authors are castrated by that. It's like Lucas with the PT. He couldn't put in anything that contracdicted what he said in the OT, so in a way I think it may have handicapped his storytelling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.