main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone ever notice in ROTJ....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMeerer, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMeerer

DarthMeerer Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Sorry if this has been mentioned recently but....

A few years ago, i noticed that when Vader is searching for Luke, you can clearly see Luke's lightsaber hilt on Vader's left hand. Was there a different plot filmed where Luke refused to fight and gave up his lightsaber, and vader retrieved it to give to luke to draw him into a fight?

2. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    "You cannot hide forever, Luke" goads Vader
    "You will have to come in and get me"
    "I will not give you the advantage that easily"
    "I wish no advantage, father...I will not fight you. Take my weapon"

Luke's lightaber rolls into Vader's point of view where then he picks it up

"Give yourself to the dark side, Luke. It is the only way you can save your friends...Yes, your thoughts betray you, son. Your feelings for them are strong-especially for...sister...your feelings have now betrayed her too...twins...Obi-Wan was wise to hide her...but now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.

Luke appears, snathces the lightsaber from Vader with the Force and you know what happens from there.

This is what remained of a very tense scene between Luke and Vader but was marked out by the script supervisor.

3. P_F_A_F_F

P_F_A_F_F Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    Wow, I wish that had been left in the movie!

4. Jedi_Knight_Athos

Jedi_Knight_Athos Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    In the Marvel Comics adaptation of ROTJ, Luke refuses to continue fighting and tosses his Lightsaber to Darth Vader. Vader senses Luke's thoughts about Leia and makes his ultimatum, at which Luke retrives his saber through the Force and goes beserk.

5. DarthMeerer

DarthMeerer Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    thanks. i have seen it for years, and never thought to ask the question here. that is what i figured, i think it would have added more to the scene- evne more rage on luke's part that he force rips the hilt outta vader's hand and go nuts- mistake by the script supervisor/marquand/lucas, in my opinion.

6. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    I never noticed that before, but yeah, that wouldmhave been great to se in there.

7. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I never noticed that. Can you post a pic of it?

8. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I hadn't realized this until several years ago when I read about it. You wouldn't notice unless you're looking for the saber. Vader is far from the camera and the lighting is low during this sequence.

9. Aseth-Midnight

Aseth-Midnight Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2004
    In the ROTJ book you can read this version as well. But in the film... if you don't know it, it's difficult to see.

10. Nikknots

Nikknots Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    watch Bid Fortuna's face when Jabba sentences Han and Luke into the depths of the Sarlacc Pit.... Bid really gets happy about this!

Thats all for now...

11. Jon_Bon_Kenobi

Jon_Bon_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Just to clear this one up for everyone. :)

When Luke falls from the gantry, after Vader has hurled his lightsaver at him, Vader picked up Luke's saber.

In the Official Star Wars Magazine (or possibly website), it was revealed that the scene was cut. When Vader says 'perhaps she will' in the original cut Luke called his lightsaber to his hand from Vaders hand using the force, igniting it and attacking, shouting 'NOOO!'.

Vader DID have Luke's saber and Luke called it back to him using the force but this was cut.

Hope that helps.

12. Magnotta

Magnotta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    See, now here is a change to the OT that Lucas could make that people would actually like. Not pointless things like Greedo shooting first, or "your lucky you don't taste very good". I loved that line, I thought it was hilarious. Yet of course, that gets removed.

13. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    If you freeze frame Luke falling and sliding from the gantry his lightsaber is still in his hands as he falls. But I guess since the whole sliding the lightsaber scene was cut I guess he drops it off camera.

14. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Vader DID have Luke's saber and Luke called it back to him using the force but this was cut.

So, that means it didn't happen. thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.