main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone Foresee The Imperial Remnant Becoming a GFFA Sparta?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Coonsan, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    (wow this got more traffic then i thought)

Great stuff everyone, TR, I liked the comparison of YV and Spartans hehe. The whole Canada thing I dont quite get, but I'm a constant critic of Canada, so that probably has something to do with it :). And my comparison of the Imperial Remnant and the Spartans, was purely of a military sense, not a comparison of society and culture. That wouldn't line up too well.

And I'm not sure about the whole Galactic Alliace/G.F.F.A. thing. I've never heard of the two seperate entities, but I always wondered what the former New Republic part of the GFFA was considered.

Anyways, thanks for your comments, I don't post here much and enjoy the feedback.

2. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I, frankly, am disgusted with the posibility of the Remnant degrading itself to the point of becoming a member of the Third Republic. Moreso, it's totally out of character for Pellaeon.

This then brings into question just how the Federation is constructed governmentally. Federation of Free Alliances is an oxymoron, and since people tend to favor Alliance more than Federation, that seems to be the way the government is skewed, probably meaning that the Remnant would remain considerably independent.

This, of course, contradicts statements made that the Federation is a stronger form of the New Republic, and as yet there is absolutely no evidence of the GFFA being anything more than the New Republic allied with the Remnant at this point, perhaps even weaker since they don't seem to be in control of their own military.

3. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    What do you mean, not in control of their own military? By the time of LOTF, it seems that the military is the only thing keeping the GFFA together.

4. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    The Jedi are comandeering entire fleets and an Imperial Grand Admiral is in command of the military.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, as the New Essential Chronology points out, the Galactic Alliance is structured under a federal constitution, meaning that it was designed to overcome the weak confederal of the old New Republic. As Denning says, while this may be the plan on paper, it is taking a bit of time for this to happen completely. Just look at history for examples of this. The United States of America, for example, took a few years to get itself organized under a federal system that fixed the problems of the previous model.

As for the Imperial Remnant, if they have become a member of the Galactic Alliance, I guess we will all just have to learn to live with it. I myself liked the idea of them being independent, but it appears that the powers at be have decided to finally end the last remnants of the Empire.

--Adm. Nick

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Which leave a great many people displeased. I specifically asked about the Remnant at C3, and now I finally understand why they were so evasive.

7. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    If we're lucky, it's part of Pellaeon's master plan. He leads a rousing victory against the Killiks, gets elected Chief of State, then proclaims himself ruler of the NEW Galactic Empire. ;)

8. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    That would be so awesomely sweet. :D

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    And that made them more free, to your mind?

Heh. Who isn't? I mean among people with any sense.:p

10. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Given how the Hapans brazenly sent a fleet right into Chiss territory in TJK, it doesn't seem like GFFA authority counts for much.

And frankly, I don't know what to make off the official comments about the Remnant's relationship to the GFFA. They're too vaguely worded IMHO, so we're better off waiting.

Well, I care for the Spartan way of life as much as the next guy, but wasn't it the unmarried men who were paraded naked through the streets for the girls to leer and jeer at?

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Am I the only one who just got a terrible image of Pellaeon marching naked around Bastion?

[face_sick]

12. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Quite possibly, given the other forms of torment and humiliation Spartan males were expected to endure, but now you're making me think of courtship in Utopia.[face_plain]

13. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    Sinrebirth: Yes. Yes you are.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thought so

*shakes head in disgust*

But nope, I still see the Remnant as a independant entity within the Alliance, a member akin to Hapes, with its own private navy, assumedly bigger than any other member.

15. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    [face_laugh]

16. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    And I know of what I speak, being a Canucklehead myself.;)

17. DropkickJake

DropkickJake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Notice I said "equal" and not free. Compared to their Athenian counterparts Spartan women were much more equal with the men of their city.

18. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    My sentiments remain as before. Simply transpose "equal" for "free" in the above posted response, and there you have it.

19. DropkickJake

DropkickJake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    No, it made them more... equal... which is what I said. This didnt make them more free because the men of the town were not as free as in Athens.

Regardless, there is no point in substituting words into other peoples posts. It ends up with you making other people sound like they said something they didnt. If we could do that, trasnpose the words "sentiments" for "flatulence" and "as before" for "extremely smelly" and i just made you say that your gas smells really bad.

I like this game.

20. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I suppose you could, if I'd given you free leave to reinterpret my words ad naseum, rather than in one particular instance.

Indeed. And two can play at it.

I doubt you could really say they were more equal, at least in the general sense, as that would be casting a positive implication on the interpretation of Spartan social conditions.

21. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    So you're saying that Spartan women were worse off then women in other Greeks city-states?

22. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I suppose that might be one interpretation of what I've said, though not by extension the correct one.

23. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Sr: Am I the only one who just got a terrible image of Pellaeon marching naked around Bastion?

I suspect you were the first; you may not be the last... :mad:

Am I the only person who thought "Munster Anabaptists!!!" when I read that post, though? :confused: :p

- The Imperial Ewok

24. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Quite possibly. The mental image conjured up in my own mind was of "Muunilinst Adamites".:p

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I suppose that might be one interpretation of what I've said, though not by extension the correct one.

If I may interject.

Who gives a damn about a 3000 year dead society of all round very bad people to begin with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.