main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone Foresee The Imperial Remnant Becoming a GFFA Sparta?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Coonsan, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Obviously not someone who chose to name himself after a 1200-year-old illiterate tyrant.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually, the name is ironic.

My grandparents kept this massive family family tree in their files to trace themselves back to him.

Also, his illiteracy (like Prince Johns) is a myth.

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    And whether he was a tyrant or not can depend heavily upon the modern idealogical slant one puts upon him.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    And whether he was a tyrant or not can depend heavily upon the modern idealogical slant one puts upon him.

Meh, he was a ruthless conqueror and that's why he was the Emperor. Its important to remember that pretty much everything we have in society was sadly bought in a price of blood.

But that's not relevant to SW.

Unless you're Wettengel whom firmly thinks Thrawn should have won.

5. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    He ruled with absolute authority. Hence, a tyrant.

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    He ruled with absolute authority. Hence, a tyrant.

In the classical sense yes.

However if you ask someone if they're gay, usually, you mean something else.

In this case whether he was a dictator whose actions go beyond "justified" measures of cruelty.

7. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Pilot - I would actually disagree completely. His acceptance of joining the GFFA is completely in character for the reluctant leader of the Empire. His career has shown that he hasn't ever truly wanted the power of ruling and most of all his desire now, in his older age is peace. His acceptance of the GFFA is more of a survival though for his people and territories. The GFFA is Federation, so the Empire (or Imperial Remnant) can remain an individual entity. Pellaeon has made the best decision available.

8. DropkickJake

DropkickJake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    For the record, I obviously could say Spartan women are more equal then in other city states, because I did. Besides that, I'm correct, I never said that Spartan women enjoyed outstanding liberty and equality, I merely said that they were more equal than in say Athens or Corinth.

But I'll drop the whole history arguement, solely because it has become about being arguementative whther or not you're correct.

I agree with whover said that the Mandolorians would be the true Spartans.

9. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    Spartans=Mandalorians could be true.....THe mandos are one of the few things in Star Wars i dont know about so im not sure....im actually looking for some easy education on them, if anyone is willing to tutor[face_mischief]

10. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    LanceJade: "His acceptance of joining the GFFA is completely in character for the reluctant leader of the Empire. His career has shown that he hasn't ever truly wanted the power of ruling and most of all his desire now, in his older age is peace. His acceptance of the GFFA is more of a survival though for his people and territories."

It's not so much his reluctance to be a leader, so much as loving the Empire. Why would a man who's given his entire life to serving the Empire willingly turn it over to the Alliance?

"The GFFA is Federation, so the Empire (or Imperial Remnant) can remain an individual entity."

That's utter nonsense. Joining a federation and remaining an individual entity is complete opposite of each other.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's not so much his reluctance to be a leader, so much as loving the Empire. Why would a man who's given his entire life to serving the Empire willingly turn it over to the Alliance?

Probably because he sees its the Empires only chance for survival again.

Economically they were crumbling and he had no clear successor.

12. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    "Economically they were crumbling"

And how is joining the economically ruined Federation going to help matters?

"and he had no clear successor."

And he does now?

13. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    You're making me think of Animal Farm.

C'est la vie.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Are they crumbling economically?

Perhaps no tariffs could make the "Empire" worlds a galactic power.

And maybe forcing a democracy (an authoritarian one at least) could prevent instability post his detah

15. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    "Are they crumbling economically?"

I didn't say they were, and I could ask the same about the Empire.

Common sense tells us that a war that laid waste to half the galaxy would cause economic damage. Half a decade of war combined with a war fought entirely in your own borders tends to do that.

"Perhaps no tariffs could make the "Empire" worlds a galactic power."

That's assuming there were tariffs ever, or that there there aren't any now.

"And maybe forcing a democracy (an authoritarian one at least) could prevent instability post his detah"

Possibly, but in all probability, given the Hapan, the GFFA Senate would make little difference when Pellaeon dies.

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The problem that I think so many people have with the idea of Hapes and the Imperial Remnant becoming full members of the Galactic Alliance is that it feels as if the authors and powers at be over decided that there could only be one galactic government. Personally, I think it would of been fine to have the Remnant remain an independent ally of the Alliance. Yet, it seems that we are going in the direction of one government for the galaxy.

I personally am fine with that, assuming the Alliance turns out to be the democractic-republic we all want it to be, but I will always miss the Remnant as a separate entity.

--Adm

17. Coonsan

Dec 3, 2003
    hmmmm I always thought that this new GFFA was sort of like a UN (minor its current stupidity), if not even a little more joined....like they are allies, economically and politically, but were still their own seperate entities....I'm not sure that's how i took it

18. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    "I personally am fine with that, assuming the Alliance turns out to be the democractic-republic we all want it to be"

[face_laugh]

19. DropkickJake

Feb 1, 2003
    I would say that joining a federation and maintaing an individual identity would be possible. Just think of the South in the War Between the States, all teh southern states held seperate identities (that was quite a large point of the war) but were still tied together in a confederation. I dont see a problem with IR joining a federation with the NR (allthought federation sounds too much like Star Trek to me). In fact, it could make for some interesting political intrigue(SP?!), having to keep together such a loose confederacy with such opposite "nations" so to speak.

20. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    :rolleyes:

Confederacy: A weak alliance of otherwise independent states.
    Federation: A strong combination of states under a single government

You cannot have a condederacy and a federation at the same time. It's impossible.

21. DropkickJake

Feb 1, 2003
    I had thought them to be synonomous, dictionary. com sees it that way to, but I dont feel like cracking out websters.

Well, I say that the Federation should become a confederacy. IT would sound less star trekky, and it would make for interesting plot lines.

22. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    As in be identical to the New Republic?

23. Coonsan

Dec 3, 2003
    for them to become a confederation, that wouldn't be the same as the New Republic. That's like saying our current US government is the same as it was under the Articles of Confederation.

24. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    The New Republic was pitifully weak and the government on Coruscant had practically no power. It is definately a confederacy.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, all that means is that it's a weakly led republic. The fact that the central leadership is weak doesn't mean that legally speaking it is a confederation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.