main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Anyone has information for film editor? like film school etc.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by XiaoXiao, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XiaoXiao

XiaoXiao Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2008
    Hi everyone,

I realized that I like dealing with videos much more than data. However, I am a 4th year student and will be graduate in 1 or 1.5 years. But hobbies are not career and I know nothing about film production. However, I do love film editing, it is like telling a story on the big screen. Working with a director and edit the footage into a film and show it to people is my dream, though I don't know how to begin. I learnt software for making music videos all by myself last year and tried some. That is why I realized that this is what I like to do in my life. So, this is my situation.

I am currently living in Toronto and want to meet some friends. If anyone have some ideas about a good film school in Canada, internships, work training etc. Could you tell me? Thanks a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9T1Gt4IrX0 this is one of my mvs I made half a year ago. All the others are for Chinese series. They were my hobbies and I want to change it to my career after 3 or 4 years. (graduation - job - raise money for film school education.) This is my plan, any suggestions? advices? please tell me. Thanks a billion.

Have a good week.
    Xiao

2. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    To the best of my knowledge the Toronto Film School is the only one in the city that offers a program in digital editing. Unfortunately the school is closing its doors in January permanently. However, if you want to learn video editing there are a few things I can suggest.

1) Shop for text books and buy the software yourself and learn on your own.
    2) Take online tutorials to learn better tricks of the trade and further explore the broader aspects of the programs you wish to focus on.
    3) Get out there and shoot stuff yourself and edit it. It doesn't have to be good or even good looking, but you will learn more just doing it yourself than having someone else teach you.

Unfortunately this is not a cheap hobby but if you want to turn this into a career, you need to be good and know you stuff.

3. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2006
    actually the toronto film school no longer exists. They've been shut down for nearly a year now and the only decent film schools left are the toronto film college or ryarson. I'm enrolled at the toronto film college and it has good editing teachers as well as a quick terms to get you out into the field faster. The problem is that it costs nearly 20 grand but well worth it.

4. XiaoXiao

XiaoXiao Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2008
    Thank you both. =D [:D]
    How about Vancouver film school? Is it good?
    If possible, I want to learn it by myself and get a trainee editor job after 1 -1.5 year. I will be happy to have a intern or volunteer chance. Just want to gain some experiences and make my first step.:_|[face_good_luck]:)
    Later, I can raise money for further education.
    Final Goal --> work with directors + film editor.

5. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Funny because it was open for graduation a month ago.

6. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    that was to allow those who were in the program to finish. I was supposed to attend for the janurary term but the school closed. The only thing thats left is just the academy of design.

7. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    There are various organizations, groups etc you can join

Toronto Fim and video forums
    http://dvshop.ca/dvcafe/toronto/toindex.html

Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto
    http://www.lift.on.ca/mt/index.html

There was a club that Caity joined where they formed groups and made films. I don't have a like to the group a the moment. Maybe good for the beginner but Caity felt she already knew most of it by teacher herself.

There are loads of people out there making films, willing to help out, needing people etc.

8. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Thats hardly nearly a year. I know for a fact it was still going a year ago because I was attending classes.

9. assetic

assetic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    Toronto Image Works is another school that you could try out. I'm taking After Effects classes there.

10. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    i'm not getting in an argument over this matter about the toronto film school. All i know is that they're not accepting students anymore for that location in toronto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.