main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone have an old SW: Insider handy?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by GavinStrife, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    There was an ad that ran in old Star Wars Insiders, in the pre-Episode 1 days... It was for prop "lightsabers", but I think they weren't affiliated with Lucasfilm at all... I think they had a detatchable "blade" too, but I can't remember... But anywho, I can't figure out the name of the company or if they even exist anymore... anyone remember what I'm talking about? Thanks in advance

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I don't have that Insider, but can I take a wild stab in the dark with ParkSabers

I never knew he advertised, maybe in the old days though...

3. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Could the company be Icons, perhaps? I checked my old Insiders and found this in issue #30. I looked in further issues as well, and found a Darth Vader ligthsaber replica too. They didn't have removable blades, though.

Icons was an official licensee of LFL, though.

4. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I highly doubt that Lucasfilm would allow a non-licensed product like Parksabers to ab advertised in SWInsider, especially since they sued Parksabers for copyright infringement (Lucas lost that court battle).

5. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    True. A fan asked about replica sabers and blasters in Steve Sansweet's column of issue #29. Steve acknowledged a lot of bootlegs existed, but stated that Icons were given the green light to make those replicas, using the archives of LFL. And in the next issue the Jawa Trader portrayed Luke's saber.

6. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Do tell do tell.

7. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Not sure what there is to tell, Parksabers was sued by Lucas for copyright infringement for making sabers that were similar to ones from the OT. The judge determined that since there was enough difference between the models made for the movies and the ones that Parksabers produced; as well as the fact that "lightsaber"-ish weapons had been used in various sci-fi movies, stories, etc.; that the lawsuit had no real basis.

I really think that Lucas is a lawsuit-happy kind of guy, did ya'll know that he sued to stop production of the original Battlestar Galactica series because it was too similar to SW?!? I can't really see where that one came from!

8. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Well just looking at the sabers he sells I can easily pick out Obi-Wan's, Anakin's and Vader's. Silly judge.

He tried to stop BSG? Uh, yeah that makes no sense. Speaking of, when does the new season start?

9. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    At the time I don't think Parksabers had those models for sale.

I think the new ones start showing on Sci-fi Channel in January with the new episodes of SG-1 and Atlantis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.