main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

anyone have the newest sandcrawler?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LUH-3417, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    hi there, does anyone have the newer version of the sandcrawler? is it the same mold and parts as the vintage one?

about how much do they run?

i have the vintage in nice condition, but its missing the elevator, remote and ladder.

which one would you all rather have...let me admit it too, i am not into collecting as much as i like to give them to my kids so i can play with them too

also, just as an opinion, what is a more fun toy, the shuttle or the royal starship? i am thinking of getting one or the other soon.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    New sandcrawler is the same, minus the RC motors and parts (but still has the battery compartment :confused:). I still have the old cardboard "Land of the Jawas", which I still think if pretty spiffy.

Royal starship is big and bulky, but imperial shuttle also has limitations, so it's which ship are they more interested in.

Royal starship: red R2 droid, elevator, detachable nose, "exploding" parts, small shuttle, electronic hyperdrive, interior levels, boarding ramp, and little vulture fighter you can "attack" it with

Imp Shuttle: Trigger to drop wings, seats 2 vintage figures in cockpit, seats 4 in back, boarding ramp (too small to really be used), original came with alarm button--don't know about the new one, rotating guns front landing gear was handle to "fly" with.

3. LUH-3417

May 11, 2001
    i meant to ask, about how much did people buy their newer ones for, not how they run...thanks

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I love the new Sandcrawler but never had the original. Get yourself an army of Jawa's and droids really makes it look great. Its also a solid toy that kids might not easily rip apart.:)

As a collector I prefer the Imperial Shuttle, but as a playset for kids not too much will beat Amidala's Starship. From the little red R2D2 and Droid Fighter that it comes with, to the little escape ship stored in its nose. It makes all kinds of noises and has the peel off roof like the vintage Falcon, and its also huge!!!! Need a lot of space to store it but its worth it. Lots of parts for kids to lose though :) I wish they would make a Star Destroyer toy like it..........

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, there's the old 1980 StarDestroyer playset designed to combine Vader's room with the bridge of The Executor.
    The 1978 Deathstar set was pretty outstanding too.
    Pity Hasbro never really remade most of the better playsets.

I think the new sandcrawler was an exclusive of some store or other. Mine was a present, so I don't know how much it cost. Could fit nearly all of my astromechs into it, though...
    For current price, eBay is probablly a good indicator. Check the average price though, not the highest or lowest, and certainly not the "Buy it Now"s.
    If you need more info on doing this, PM me. [face_peace]

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, the old Star Destroyer playset was alright, I just would love one that looks the part a bit more, kinda something like the Lego one.

And the Sandcrawler was an oline exclusive of somesort. I got it from an online site in Canada for about $80 CND including shipping. So I guess about $70 US at that point.

7. LUH-3417

May 11, 2001
    i wont make a new posting for this, because it relates and always wanted to ask if anyone who had the vintage slave 1 liked it more or less than jango's slave 1?

i liked that jango's was heavier and had better paint and detail but i was truly disapointed that the cargo door and ramp didnt open, i dont understand why that was done, they could have had the ramp and door open in my opinion.

so it was a trade off, pretty even but it was really lacking in that one way

anyone?

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    To me, the old version was way better. The only problem there was that the weight to keep the wings level had a tendancy to pop out of its bracket.

Jango's was clunky. Way too much effort went into the spring launch missile system and mines. That could have been done as a retractable rotating gun without missiles much more effectively. The 3-person cockpit seating also took some of the fun out. In all, Jango's was probablly more accurate in size and shape, but the features were poorly executed.

My cats, however, liked Jango's much better because the tail guns were good for both scratching chins and nibbling.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Jango's works pretty well as a display piece. I have it on a shelf with Electronic Jango and a few other things. I have it standing as it would 'in-flight' with a piece of Blu-Tac to keep the tail end from slipping forward on the shelf.

10. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    My cousin in the burbs just got one, Really nice, finally a vehicle with large cupholders for my big water gulp. You swear the designers were from Kamino before. Anyway him and I took it out for a full spin with a load of used parts and some droids we found at jabbas place. Needless to say cant rid of the stuff from Jabbas place for some odd reason. Anyway made the Mos Eisley to Mos Espa run in 35 parsecs. A real hotrod smooth handling and minimum noise.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Your cuz must have got one that was fresh from the old Ore-Mining days, rather than one that had been in the paws of Jawas. They love to put in mid-decks that only have a meter or so of clearance. No headroom for taller beings. I think they like to customize their vehicles that way just to reach the controls. Never mind what they do to the living quarters... I understand they also like to put spongy shocks, chrome tread-covers, and lever knobs with glowing read eyes...

12. LUH-3417

May 11, 2001
    just want to say i finally found one.
    even if they didnt put a motor in it, there really should have been some wheels in some manner.
    but then again, this was for my son anyways.
    sniped it on ebay for 41 bucks, open box of course and had a scratch, but a really cool toy to play with.
    they improved the door on it so the hinges dont slowly fall apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.