main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Anyone here collects anything other than SW merchandise?

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by tmingyang, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmingyang

tmingyang Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    For a start, anyone here collects Final Fantasy merchandise?

2. HumsupFett

HumsupFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2000
    aside SW, I collect 12" military kits too. I'm sure you have seen those everywhere eh? That's about the other thing I'm collecting.

3. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm a comic collector too, which I actually take more seriously than a SW toy collector 8-}

4. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Apparently, I'm interested in only SW comics presently. Not for the sake of collecting but for the plot. (Used to collect chinese manga) At the same time, I enjoy collecting toys. But the problem is money again. :(

5. JediDarT

JediDarT Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    I'm a hardcore comic collector
    Think something close to $300 a month on comics.

My personal opinion is that manga is crap. And are just a medium for grown japanese men to put their fantasies on paper.
    But hey, that's my opinion.

I'm quite a book collector too. Pick up a new book maybe one in 2 weeks (running out of space)

Besides these, I also collect the Star Wars: TCG card game. Waiting anxiously for the Sith Rising expansion.

6. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Hmm...
    Being a collector for both Jap Manga and American comics, we, at least I, muz admit the Jap and the Hong Kong(ese) are better at drawing. No doubt at this. As for the plot, the American are a bit more creative and bold. Both are good, I muz say.

7. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    In a way, I'm with JediDart because I don't like manga too, and with that goes anime. :D

But I don't spend as much as him, probably not even half as much. I just don't have that kind of money, though I'm pretty contented with my current situation..I don't like to ask for too much when it's unnecessary.

:)

8. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Nevertheless, it depends on what u look out for. If u are the one who goes for plot, be it chinese or english (as long as u understand the language) u will go with it. But we still have to admit most Jap manga sketches are way better than SOME other comics. For me, though some SW comics sketches look to me like a kid drawing, i still buy it coz of the plot.

9. bobafett81

bobafett81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    I'm strating to collect the new TOMY Disney figures!

10. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, I collect DVDs of my favourite movies, or if my fave celebrity is in it. I have a CD collection too. And I also collect books, just whatever I know I will enjoy reading or looking at over and over again.

Although I'm not sure if you could call it collecting in a hardcore sense, 'cos after all, I don't really collect books that are hardcover, first editions, or signed editions. And I don't collect those special edition CDs or audiophile CDs... although... I must admit that I really enjoy DVDs for all the bonus features that they have in them! :)

I also have a dolphin collection, whereby I collect figurines and statuettes of dolphins, including things like postcards, keychains, mini-posters, stickers and so on.
    It's my favourite animal, that's why... :)

But I may give up my collection soon, because I'm starting to get more interested in those Forever Friends teddy bears, especially now that they have different kinds of bears like [face_love] Sugar, Honey, Toffee and so on... [face_love]

11. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I like to read certain Japanese Manga. Mostly because of the plot/storyline and it's relationship to certain issues.

A long, long time ago, I "read" the Saint Seiya Manga in Chinese. Nowadays, I'm trying to get into more of the Hardcore types like Angel Sanctuary (my current favourite), X and Evagelion. Here and there, I'll buy whatever manga translated into Malay whenever I'm in KL. :p

Between the American Comics and Japanese Manga, well, I like both cause they both got their own credits. Then again, I only read American SW Comics and certain Hardcore Japanese Manga. :p

About the collecting thinging, I used to collect Happy Meal toys and Soft Toys from McDonald & glasses/mugs but I give them up after I got myself completely into SW.

Currently, here and there, I try to collect old toys and its related stuffs like Transformer, SilverHawk, Robotech, Bionic Six, MASK, The Real Ghostbuster etc. I should had bought them off at TRU Bargain Corner way back in 1994-1996 when they are still available and cheap.

Now that reminded me that I should pay Tanglin Mall a visit this coming 3rd Sat of the month . . . wait, I'm broke. :_|

12. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Yeah DE I used to have transformers all these when young. But after moving house during Sec 2, my mum gave it away to the kids at the blk. Can't remember if I have any SW toys. :)
    Boba Ya the new TOMY toys also fascinate me, since I grew up watching Disney cartoon too. Currently, no room space to add into my collection.

13. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Haha well anyone who is interested in selling their old Transformers toys can ask me~ :D.

14. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    For those who dunno what Disney's NEW Figurines are, you may wanna check it out here:

http://www.disney.co.jp/dcp/goods/collectable/magical.html

and here too:

http://www.goblinjp.com/goblin/figure/disney/disney.html

They are the cutest and most detailed figures EVER from DISNEY!!!!!

15. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Wah..the jumbo is nice. Can I find it in S'pore? Coz all the while I've only seen Snow White, Aladdin, some mickey n gang.

16. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    You get find it at Clark Quay Flea Mkt and the toy shop on 2nd Floor at WheelLock!

Happy Hunting!

17. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    i think jazzyjazz is confused himself anime with hentai. most of the anime are cool man, take Rurouni Kenshin(samurai x) for eg. its not sexually themed, and one of the best anime out there, aside from macross

i dun really collect sw toys unless they're on for cheap sales or something =P

come to think of it, i dun seem to collect anything -_-

18. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL! [face_laugh] Every time I went to any Cosplay event or Photography sessions, somebody will surely do Hentai or Yaoi! Me haven't done one before though as still a newbie in that arena.

One event is coming this 17th August (Saturday) at the Youth Park but as usual, can't attack it with any SW Costumes as these Cosplayers can get real strict with non-anime/manga/Japanese CG cosplayers.

Eh, Faiz! How come Val said end of month got Cosplay Event at Suntec at the JustKool Forum? End of year lah!

19. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Faiz : I muz agree that Rurouni Kenshin is a classic. The comics is well drawn, but I only manage to have a glance at the anime clips. Hmm cool, if u got nice anime to recommend tell me ok. Thankx.

20. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    clips onli!? OMG U ARE MISSING OUT ON A LOT

the manga is nothing compared to the anime! (well IMO that is)

if ur on cable or adsl go d/l some episodes of rurouni kenshin. if u want i can suggest some episodes, or i can send some clips of the anime to u even, thru mirc, msn, icq.

21. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    No lah, I mean I manage to catch some scenes when my stead is watching. I dunno if it's called clips or episodes or whatever. Hmm, I prefer comics, coz I don't really understand cartoon. :) Thankx anyway.

22. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    I juz came back from Clarke Quay, saw a few Star Wars Kubricks by medicom. Almost similar to Lego Mini Figs. I prefer the Medicom ones coz look more aesthetic. No offense to lego collectors, coz i myself is also a lego collectors. Juz to share with u what I saw only.

23. zeroX

zeroX Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2002
    really envy you pple who can spare the time to go down to clark quay, i used to do tat 2 to 3 times a month when i was in sec 3, now i cant afford the time on sunday anymore. Anyway, i'm also a small transformer collector next to star wars n i like to collect gashapon or those capsule toy where you put a $1 n turn the machine one.

24. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    Time is plentiful if u know how to spend it. Ya I'm too young to say anything bout life's experience. Nevertheless I always make it a point to finish my work (watever it is), before setting foot on Clarke Quay or some other places. I wouldn't shop in peace if I have unfinished work or what. Though I'm taking A levels this year, I still can squeeze out time to enjoy my life. So it really depends how u make good use of ur time. :)

25. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    "Time is plentiful if u know how to spend it. Ya I'm too young to say anything bout life's experience. Nevertheless I always make it a point to finish my work (watever it is), before setting foot on Clarke Quay or some other places. I wouldn't shop in peace if I have unfinished work or what. Though I'm taking A levels this year, I still can squeeze out time to enjoy my life. So it really depends how u make good use of ur time."

The Padawan is right.
    Wise words from one so young...hmmm :)

I gotta agree with you there, Sheep!
    Indeed time is plentiful, if one knows how to use it, and if one is willing to prioritise and focus on what is truly important to oneself.

I must admit that it is too easy to get distracted by lots of other things that also come along, and sometimes when you least expect something to happen, it happens at the worse possible time, and stuff like that does distract you and tend you take you away from your intended path.

But I find that all it takes is a little bit of willingness to accommodate or to eliminate the distraction, and perhaps a little bit of re-prioritizing, and you can just continue on your way. The important thing is to concentrate and never to lose your focus on what you want in your own life.

Life is all about choice.
    You can choose to become a Jedi Knight, or you could choose to start down the path to the Dark Side - the choice is yours to make.
    Life will throw you curve balls sometimes, but what you choose to do once the ball is thrown your way is entirely up to you.

Methinks you shall soon be a Master of the Force, Young Padawan.

...now coming back to what I had intended to post here in the first place - haha! :p

I am SOOO tempted to re-start my Care Bears collection!!! I used to have 2 Care Bears stuffed toys (Cheer Bear and Tenderheart Bear) and a few of the little Care Bear figurines when I was a kid. Anyways, Toys R Us Forum and Marina are selling these Care Bear keychain thingies, which appeal more and more to me the more I look at them - oh dear, talk about distractions.....

They have Cheer Bear, Tenderheart Bear, Wish Bear, and Love-A-Lot Bear, and it costs $6.95 each. OK, perhaps I should do some prioritising now and focus on what I'm gonna shop for at TRU at the end of this month - haha! [face_laugh]

Care Bears, SW Game of Life, Care Bears, SW Game of Life, Care Bears, SW Game of Life - aaaahh, decisions, decisions, decisions!! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.