main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone here ever read or hear about the vintage Ellen Randolph Star Wars fan-fic novels?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by WormieSaber, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Hi everyone. I don't usually post in this forum, but I wanted to point out quite possibly the best SW fan-fic read...ever. I consider myself an old-school SW fan-fic reader, meaning, I was reading this stuff well before the internet. That's when readers had to buy this stuff and then get it through the mail. Anyway, there are 3 vintage Star Wars fan-fic novels called "A New Challenge", "Revenge of the Sith" (yes, written 20 years before the movie came out) and "Sanctuary". And they are very, very good. It takes place 20 years after "Return of the Jedi" when Luke is a Jedi Master, in his 40's, and not married. To make a long story short, the Sith rise to destroy Luke's Jedi school and we come to find out that one his students who is 20 years younger than he (her name is Jessalyn) is in love with Luke Skywalker - but is scared to death of him (because Luke is portrayed as mystical and mysterious). The author leaves us dangling with that knowledge. Then going into the second novel, "Revenge of the Sith", it is 20 years after her first novel, and Luke and Jessalyn are married. When we get to "Sanctuary", her third fan-fic novel it is a series of stories that takes place in her timeline...and even short stories about Luke and Jessalyn early on in their marriage.

I discovered that a lot of people are still interested in reading these novels when I did a google, and they appear to be hard to find. I have all of them, and would like to recommend them to the fans here who like fan-fic. Because these novels are the best of fan-fic, to be sure. I've read them countless times, and many of the character's names and plot-lines are identical in her Exile Books which are published professionally. So *wink, wink* ...Han Solo's son is named Pol (Pol's wife is named Tobin) in her fan-fic, and in her novels there is a character named Pol and Tobin too. lol There is a rumor going around that the author of these old-school 1980's popular fan-fic novels were written by a known author named Melanie Rawn. And a lot of the characters names and situations are identical. Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of these fan-fic novels before. Because I have all of them and they are very well done.

Also, something else that is interesting. There are some Star Wars video games out there about a Jedi Witch named Jessalyn and she is a flight tech just like Luke's Jessalyn in Randolph's fan-fic novels (which also has a similar last name, starts with a "V"). I'm thinking the Jessalyn in the gamer's world of Star Wars could be a direct rip-off of the popular fan-fic craze...it's a stunning resemblence. BOTH Jessalyns had red hair and green eyes. Check out this link: http://sw1mush.wikia.com/wiki/Jessalyn_Valios

Here are some links on her work: http://fanlore.org/wiki/Sanctuary_(Star_Wars_zine)
    http://fanlore.org/wiki/Revenge_of_the_Sith_(Zine)

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I can't say I've heard of them, but they do sound interesting. I have a feeling I'd have a very hard time tracking them down, though.

To be honest, she sounds a bit like a watered-down version of Mara. This could actually make me like Jessalyn more... Part of my problem with Mara is that she seemed too good to be true, whereas Jessalyn sounds more real. Also, green eyes and red hair? A coincidence?

I don't play the games, so that connection escapes me. Thanks for the heads-up though. From what I understand, these are actually published books? I wonder how that came about, and why they aren't part of the EU? Then again, my favorite EU series is the Ken series, and most people 1) hate them and 2) completely disregard them. Even though I thought they were sweet... I'd assume that something like that is why these books aren't well known, for whatever reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.