main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Anyone here with anxiety disorders?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zenwalker, Feb 5, 2016.

1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I have mild/moderate anxiety as part of the whole depression package. Been hospitalized for depression a bunch of times. Medication never helped me very much until last May. They put me on a new drug called Trintellix that has done wonders for me. It's like going from a world in black and white to one in color.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sauntaero like this.
  2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I don't have any specific disorders, but I'm generally afraid of life, so there's that. [face_plain]

Edit: Or, as I've come to discover, this is also referred to as Early Onset Tunick Syndrome (EOTS)?

Ender Sai and ShaneP like this.
  3. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Update: I don't take any meds for anxiety since I started running last March.

Amon_Amarth and yeurgh like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Running helps me as well. I notice a big difference when I have less time to run.

yeurgh, ShaneP and StarKiller81 like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've always had anxiety to some extent, so it makes crowded places such as bars or restaurants very difficult to concentrate but I have coping mechanisms. I had really bad depressive episodes from 2013 to the first half of 2015. 2.5 years of hell basically. I'm much better now, and this year especially has been very good to me despite celebrities dying and an orange **** as president.

6. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    SAD and bipolar disorder, i think.

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    You shouldn't self diagnos Zejothe. Maybe see a doctor for a proper evaluation.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    yeah this is a great resource for a step in getting properly diagnosed

9. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    So very true. Last time I self-diagnosed I had Down Syndrome.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I did accurately self diagnose myself with Social Anxiety Disorder because a year or so after that, I consulted a doctor who diagnosed me with that very same thing. But it's veeerrrrry rare that that happens, so it's a pretty terrible idea in general to consult the internet for stuff like that.

And also, that diagnosis itself was only partially accurate. So basically, don't do what I did.

11. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I have self-diagnosed: SAD, avoidant personality disorder, bipolar, agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder, depression, body dysmorphic disorder, and situational anxiety. I went to the doctor recently to bring this up but when she asked I said I had nothing to talk about because I panicked instead and said I was fine.

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    OCD and General Anxiety Disorder. Had panic attacks for years with some depression. Better now thanks to exercise and meditation. Things can and do get better.

Sauntaero likes this.
  13. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    This is so true. I'm working on the acceptance side, that I can feel shaky and heart-racy and still get everything done, so I don't have to be anxious about anxiety. Though it does seem some exercise wouldn't hurt as well.

harpua: did you ever take medications for your episodic depression? I'm hoping that once things settle down I can do without--they make me feel tired and dulled. But I know many can be tricky to stop.

Son of a Bith and ShaneP like this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    On reflection, I discovered most of my anxiety was worrying about the anxiety as Son of a Bith mentioned. That triggered my panic attacks. "Oh my God, what if my anxiety makes me get up in front of class and strip down naked and run around and go nuts?". Then, worse panic. Goofy stuff like that.

My two cents on meds: don't ever adjust or go cold turkey off your meds without advice from your doctor. Ever. I went cold turkey off Paxil once years ago on my own advice and…not fun. You will also find your sweet spot for dosage and even the right med.

Also try not to be too hard on yourself either. Anxiety is a part of our makeup. It's a part of who we are. I know it might be hard to understand now, but one day you will look back at this time and smile. You will also learn from it too. It will make you a kinder and more empathetic person.

Son of a Bith and Sauntaero like this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've been taking medication for about a year and a half now, and have been in therapy since 2011. My medication doesn't make me feel tired though. You should definitely talk to your prescriber, and maybe you can work on adjusting/changing your prescription. I tried a few different medications before I found the right combination. It definitely helps, but it's, of course, not a cure. Therapy is more important, for me.

16. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I've dealt with generalized anxiety and panic disorder pretty much all my life. In fact, I was hospitalized back in sixth grade because I was completely unable to function. A mix of cognitive behavioral therapy and medication helped me tremendously. Ten years later I still experience mild symptoms of GAD from time to time but overall I have made some big improvements (and am now studying Psychology to become a therapist myself).

Having anxiety is tough but overcoming it is definitely possible. My best piece of advice for anyone with anxiety is to set up a treatment plan with a therapist or psychiatrist. Secondly, surround yourself with supportive people. And, if anyone on here wants to talk to someone, my inbox is always open!

Sauntaero likes this.
  17. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah. The winter always triggers it more. I get these random jump/freak out/ticks, especially in corridors or closed spaces. It's embarrassing as hell. I also, depending on the day, have a hard time leaving my dorm room to go to class.

Sauntaero likes this.
  18. Sauntaero

Jul 9, 2003
    For now, it's at least humbling to be reminded that my body & mind have limits. Thanks for the advice on accepting that it's just part of who I am--and that's okay. It's tough, but it makes sense. Every time I have some major life change, anxiety & panic jump in to remind me that I can't push myself too hard.

Son of a Bith and ShaneP like this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    File a Freedom of Information request with the NSA.

Absolutely right. After my first hospitalization a few years ago, I just made the conscious decision that I wasn't going to treat it with shame, that I was going to be open and frank about it without giving in to the stigma.. When I started my thread back then, like a day after getting released from the hospital, it was in large part as a way to kind of force me to live up to that decision. In the time since I made that decision, I have deal with shame over it at times; the stigma against mental illness/emotional disorders is so strong in our society that it's hard to eradicate it even in myself. But more and more people understand every day, specifically because more and more people, including celebrities and sports stars and artists, are finding the courage to open up about their issues. That does a lot of good; I'll never have the ability to reach millions of people with my story about depression like some celebrities are able to do, but if I can help even one person feel less shame, that's a huge thing.

I'm so glad to hear that, ophelia! We've talked about our respective emotional struggles in the past, so I'm really thrilled to hear that you've found a treatment that is working for you.

And, so, yes, I would like to underline what a couple of other people have already said: don't give up on the medication. Every person's chemistry is different. It may take lots of tries for a person to find the medication that works for them and after a while that medication may lose its effectiveness and a person might have to start again on the search for a new one. But the right one is out there. And they're improving those medications and treatments every day. There is hope for people who suffer from these issues. I'm sure of it.

20. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I don't need doctors, i'm immortal!!!

Only-One Cannoli likes this.
  21. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I've had generalized anxiety since I was a teenager. Plus I've had major depression that started when I was in my junior year at my university. I was then put on Zoloft when I experienced the more serious symptoms of depression. Thankfully my mood is stabilized now and I was able to discontinue the medication roughly back in November without any issues. I still have flares of anxiety from time to time but they are very mild compared to what I've experienced in the past.

I used to have major issues with stress too. Heck I'm one of those people who got shingles (thankfully though it was only a minor case) when I was only seventeen. All thanks to stress.

Sauntaero likes this.
  22. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Always found writing and drawing to be very good calming factors for me.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Go away.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    harpuah there are jokes, and then there is being mean

25. Sauntaero

Jul 9, 2003
    So this is now day 3 of feeling pretty anxious and shaky. But some of that might be due to my not having eaten anything yesterday. My brain is feeling more positive and less scared, and I'm keeping it on repeat that there's nothing at all to be afraid of. Even though I was shaking due to panic half the night, I can deal with that. I'm taking it easy, having a sick day, and that's okay. Just like if I had the flu. And my mum, who has worked in mental health for years, assured me that the meds are working, even if I can't tell yet.

I don't know if anyone on here cares about any of that, but just having a place to share it is extremely encouraging. So thanks whoever started this thread!