main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone in Australia found Destiny's Way yet? - Yes, it is OUT!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by lightsaber_wielder, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Have any fellow Aussies found a copy of DW yet? I mean, we probably wont't get it for another week or two :mad:, but, oh well. I'm just checking in case a miracle has happened and somebody had actually found it.

2. Smashalot

Smashalot Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 1999
    Not yet, on my way down the street in about 5 minutes though. It had better be there, it's usually not to bad with paperbacks but Hardcovers seem to take ages.

3. lightsaber_wielder

Jan 24, 2002
    Let me know if you get it, Smashalot.

4. Jedi_Knight_Mike

Jedi_Knight_Mike Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2002
    I have ordered the book and was told to expect its release sometime in October given that most books arrive here 2 weeks after the US release date it means probably mid October before release in Oz.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    As an Aussie, from Syd, books whether they are papaerback or hardcover take at least two or three months to appear on shelves. It's been like that for years, though why the Enemy Lines Duology appeared same time as American releases is a paradox unknown.

I noticed The Approaching Storm hardback came out here in Aug, yet it was released way back earlier in the year.

If anyone has data on this ridiculous crap of delayed Aust releases months agter the USA, I for one would be very eager to know just what that reason is.

6. Jedi_Knight_Mike

Jedi_Knight_Mike Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2002
    I think the reasons maybe distance and perhaps Demand. Australia's NJO release have shadowed the American's by 2 or 3 weeks. the earliest i got a NJO book was RS 1 week after the US release date. The latest was either DJ or RD which was 2 and half to 3 weeks after the release date.

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Agreed. Enemy Lines came out instantly. The rest, even during the Bantamn years, were still months behind America. As for distance, I don't know . . . It doesn't take months and months to fly books in. You have Aust printers for that. Sigh . . . the mystery continues . . .

8. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    Approaching Storm was available in Melbourne way back before Ep. 2 came out. Enemy Lines came out fairly quickly, but the NJO hardcovers have always been slow for some reason (i remember it wasn't until X-mas 99 that i saw a single VP and i bugged an Angus&Robertson for 6 weeks straight before i could find a BP. Needless to say, the staff did not enjoy my company ;) )

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Good on you for bugging them. They are among the big book seller name here. If they can't be bothered to bring in the titles we want and demand, they deserve customer aggrevation. I'm fed up of waiting for releases, when everyone here in the forum gets them before. Still waiting for SBS papaerback!

10. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Enemy Lines came out pretty quick in Melbourne, but I can wait for a few weeks anyway. I don't have enough money to buy DW :p

But I got myself the Hardback Vector Prime for only $15 Australian. It came with the SW showbag at the Melbourne Show. Bloody good bargain! :D

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    $45 to just $15, that a bloody good deal.

12. vader_slayer

vader_slayer Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2002
    I live in Melbourne and because i'm waiting on Star by Star i'm in Collins every day but i haven't seen DW yet.

13. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    You probably won't find it in import stores (like Minotaur in Melbourne) for at least another week.

Regular stores should have it in a month.

14. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Not as yet, but I will have it in a few days.

I live in Frankston, Victoria, and my local bookstores tend to do me proud. I managed to get SbS the day after it came out in the US, same with the Enemy Lines Duolgy and Balance Point was only 5 days late. (Better then the earlier books, where I shared the usual 2 week disparity in dates.)

Its just a matter of pestering, annoying, and forcing to order at your local bookstore. If they want to earn your patronage, let 'em earn it. Mom and Pop type stores or franchises are a lot more reasonable then the big Dymocks type chains, but use your own discretion.

Good Luck everyone! I'll hopefully have it by the end of the weekend. (AU time)

15. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Not yet, but like PoT I'm reasonably confident that I'll get it either tomorrow after classes, or Saturday before work. I asked the guys at my local and they had it listed as an October release, but with nothing in stock yet. But he said that he wouldn't be surprised if it appeared over the weekend.

16. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    I've been a bit busy and have not done the usual rounds but tomorrow(fri) I'll ring around and update for those in WA.

But on average I would not expect to see it till end of next week from normal sources.

17. lightsaber_wielder

Jan 24, 2002
    Oh, I hope it does come over the weekend, Kadue. My birthday is on Monday and I swear, if it is not in stock by then I will probably end up spending my birthday money on other Star Wars books. Not that that's bad, but Destiny's Way is my most eagerly awaited one (except for when Star by Star came out).

18. lightsaber_wielder

Jan 24, 2002
    Good luck, Protege-of-Thrawn.

The nearest good booskhops to me are in Newcastle, NSW. I have to travel an hour and a half to get there, but it seems like a quick trip. The bookshops there are normally okay...I got Traitor about a week and a half after it was released in the USA. Maybe Destiny's Way will appear earlier due to its being a hardcover.

19. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Newsflash!!!!

DW will be out OCT 15 at Collins bookstores.

My local bookstore in Syd got a copy and already sold it, to someone else. boohoo!!

Most will have it in within a week

20. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    [Han Solo]"Well..that is the trick isn't it?"[/link]

Yes, some of the true annoyance lies in the habit of some bookstores to have the book - either as a sample to the staff reviewers or worse, as stock in the back - yet they won't release it to we, the loyal fans.

Luckily, the guy who works at my local is also an avid SW fan, especially NJO. :D

Not in many ways am I blessed, only the important ways.

Shakes head with dismay after reading over his post and the thread, realising that we SW fans speak of a 'bookstore' as most aussie guys speak of the pub.

"Down at the local...."

21. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Yeah, after walking into the store and asking about DW 3 different times over the last two days, I finally got someone that was willing to actually look out the back since they've been known to leave things there a week when busy. No luck, but like Lord_Riven, I've gotten a tentative confirmation that the book should be in by the end of next week. Surprisingly Dymocks did have it listed as being release on Wednesday, but they didn't get any stock.

And PoT, I spend more time at a bookstore than I would care to at a pub. But that's just me.

22. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    I just knew i should do my shopping in Franskton ;) All i need is a Zone 2/3 ticket and i'm there :)

23. Kyp_

Kyp_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2002
    heh, i still haven't got Traitor, i'm at India, not aussie.

24. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    According to the guy I spoke to at Angus & Robinson today, Destiny's Way should be arriving in Random House Australia's grubby little mitts on or about October 8. You can base your expected dates of acquisition around that number. Mind you, I only found that out because the store's computer was down and he called Random House for the info.

25. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    PoT - which store in Frankston is it?

I live in Berwick, so Frankston is not too far away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.