main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone interested in a "Fahrenheit 9/11" get-together?

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by nordicgal, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nordicgal

nordicgal Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    "Fahrenheit 9/11" is being released today on DVD, and I can't wait to see it. I missed the chance to see it this summer in Crawford, Texas with Michael Moore hosting it, so I am curious what all the hub-bub is all about.

Anyone else want to view this movie (documentary??, propaganda??) together?

2. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I'd like to see it again. I thought the movie is pretty interesting and people ought to give it a chance before saying too much. Regardless if you like Bush or not, it does show another side of the Iraq war which is eye opening. The human cost of the war is depicted in a way that will make people think long and hard about the headlines they read.

3. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Did you buy it Erik? If so, let's get together and watch it sometime this weekend, okay?

4. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    There is a counter film entitled "Fahren HYPE 911" that uses a lot of the same interview subjects that Moore used, and they explain how Moore quoted them incorrectly in Fahrenheit. Once I get a ahold of that, I will watch both films back to back. I have seen more than enough of Moore's post-interview behavior to take anything he says literally without back-up.

5. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Barry - If you could get a copy of that other movie, perhaps we could watch them back-to-back. That would certainly stimulate a lot of discussion!!

BTW - On Oprah yesterday I saw an Iraqi woman talking about the unintended and unexpected consequences of the war, and the toll it was taking on Iraqi women. In short, because of the general lawlessness, women are afraid to leave their homes. Beatings, rapes, and murders are very common, and unfortunately, many times the men commiting these crimes are not caught or punished. The woman also spoke about the growing problem of Valium addiction among Iraqi women, adding that you don't hear about that in the TV reports.

Just reminds us all that there are always unforseen consequences to our actions, however well-intended they are.

6. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    I said my statement about Moore incorrectly;:: I CANT take anything he says at face value, judging him by his public behavior, claiming that Bill ORielly banned him from Bill's show the day after Oreilly specifically invited him on, etc.

Now as for the DVD:::
    www.fahrenhype911.com

Ill see if I can get it thru a DVD rental compnay.

7. Jealously_Guarded

Jealously_Guarded Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    I got FahrenHYPE. And got it for keeps. So I can loan it out to whoever if you want to hear the other side of the story.

Its for rent at Hollywood Video.

8. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Dude!

Let's watch it, so we can compare it to the other film. Perhaps you could bring it to the Halloween party???? It's not a "scary" movie - at least not in the traditional sense ;) - but we could watch it then.

9. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    Dude, I don't know about the whole "FarenHYPE" thing. Since it was put out for the sole purpose of discrediting Michael Moore, you gotta assume that's it's as full of as many fallacious charges as "Farenhiet". I'd still like to see it, but I think it's probably a big bunch of crap.

By the way, isn't it funny how much less credible Bill O'Rielly looks now that he's been charged with sexual harrassment?

10. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    I know that any movie made with the express purpose of going after another movie is suspect, but since Moore made his movie for the express purpose of going after somebody as well, I figure in the very least, Moore had it coming.
    ANOTHER anti-Moore movie is coming out as well, Celius 4111.

In the meantime, as much as Orielly goes, we all love to see the strong get toppled, but in his case I have no doubt that people would do or say anything to get him, taking his sparkling personality into account.

But for the record, I am biased, as the "H" word once scarred me and possibly gutted my career, but I'll tell that story in only in person. But if Orielly did it ill call him on it.

11. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, if you want to get a "fair and balanced" view, you have to look at an issue from both sides, so I say both "Heit " and "Hype" are worth seeing together, regardless of how biased they are. That way we could compare what each has to say in light of the other.

Hey - some of you guys went to film school.....any skills at critiquing films? I'll throw in my 2 cents worth (heck, studying communication in grad. school has to be good for something!!)

As far as O'Reilly goes.....he's innocent until proven guilty, of course, but I have to say that if all the allegations were proven to be true, I wouldn't be surprised.

12. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Speaking of O'Reilly.....

We also have a copy of "Outfoxed," if anyone is interested in that. It has some very unflattering video clips of O'Reilly in it, among other things.

Just as suggestion.

13. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I see your point. You can't really make a very good decision unless you see all sides of a problem. I really think it's funny that suddenly there's this whole part of the industry dedicated to taking down Michael Moore. Can you hear the cash registers ka-chingin'? I sure can. I wish these people would use thier time, talent, and energy to take down someone who really has it coming, like Hillary Duff or Orlando Bloom.

As far as the O'Rielly thing, I mainly just said that to be an @$$hole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.