main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX anyone interested in a LAN Party?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by stone, Apr 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    just wanted to see if anyone was interested in doing a DFWFF LAN party.

for those who don't know what a LAN party is. LAN = Local Area Network. basically, everybody would bring their computers over, we'd network them together, and then play multiplayer video games against each other into the wee hours of the nite.

what you would need to bring.
    ?your PC
    ?power strip, power cables
    ?monitor
    ?keyboard & mouse
    ?headphones
    ?a few $$ for pizza or something
    ?windows CDs, game CDs
    ?network card [NIC] 10-base-t
    ?multiport hub or switch [if you have one]
    ?cat 5 network cable

netowrk card can be had for about $20-30 most stores
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11008635&m=488&cat=540&scat=542

so, anyone interested?

............................stone

2. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I'd be interrested. I just got my new system up and running the other night and I'm ready to kick some butt ;)

What game(s) should we play? I'm pretty novice on most first person shooters (or am I? Mmmuuaaahaaa) [face_devil]

:D

3. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    I too, have my new machiene and am looking to use it to its fullist.

I cant play 1st persons, but I can play XvT and Pod Racer. They work quite well on my new computer :D

Let me know what and when ya'll want to play and I'll see if I can join in.

4. Jedi_Jarvis

Feb 7, 2001
    So, is there any news on this?

I can also play several other games that arent SW related.

Let us know what ya think.

5. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    As soon as I get my computer upgraded (you DON'T want to know), I'm in.

6. varanid

varanid Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2001
    Sounds good, I have a laptop that could be used and a regular PC, but alas, no network card. I'm in the HEB area.
    Later,

7. Nightcrawler13

Nightcrawler13 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    I'm up for some UT!!! Haven't played in a while but I can start training today!

8. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    i'm still interested in doing this, however i'm looking for a place to hold it.

my apt. would be ok with me, but it's pretty small and wouldn't allow but 2 or 3 peeps to play.

so, i'm looking for a place to hold the festivities... needs to have a lot of table space and available power. plus the possibility of getting kinda loud with the trash talk.

so, any thoughts?

9. Nightcrawler13

May 14, 2001
    Well, I am in but I guess we need to know:

What game?

What weekend?

Who's in?

Jedi Knight II is now available for 14.99 and I have seen UT for 19.99.
    I know in the coming weeks there are going to be graduations and then it gets into wedding season and I have to attend one of each and a deposition. :(

I can do this Friday or Saturday (5/26 or 5/27).
    June right now is up in the air but I will find out ASAP! Kid duties and all....
    I also can volunteer my house if possible. I live out in Mesquite so that may be too much for some people to drive unless we have a more central location to meet at.

10. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    We can have it here in my place. We already do the RPG here. I live right off coit and spring valley (kind of centraly located). I have no real furnature to get in the way and I do have several tables we use for the RPG we can put things on. I've probibally got the power maxed out here (six-strip outlets on every outlet) but, oh well.

I'm up for just about any weekend.

What do you guys think?

:cool:

11. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    as for games...

multiplayer games come in 4 flavors

1] RTS = real time strategy, you command an army and fight against my army [or teams, or vs. the comp]

-starcraft [my all time fave]
    -homeworld cataclysm [the best 3d space RTS game ever made]
    -warcraft
    -age of empires

2] FPS = first person shooter [you will be owned.]

-jedi knight [on sale right now for $15 at best buy]
    -unreal tourney
    -quake 3 arena

3] MMORPG/RPG = multiplayer massive online role playing game, you assume a character, and play out the game, much like AD&D

-baldur's gate
    -ultima online
    -everquest

4] RACING = duh.

-pod racer
    -4x4 evolution

tho i dont think we'll be playing any MMORPG/RPGs since they take so long to play. that leaves us RACING, FPS and RTS games i listed. i'm open to other games if you guys have a preference.

12. Genetic_Misfire

Genetic_Misfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Of course I would be interested. We could have it at my place if worse comes to worse. We would need tables but I have plenty of room.

To have a successful LAN party, we would need Team Fortress Classic, Counterstrike, UT, Q3, and Homeworld. The majority of these games I already have and can install them on other systems (you wouldn't need the disks for a lot of them). It would be nice to play some JK, XvT, Rune, and/or AvP.

Stone, I have everything you suggested except for headphones and I need more cat5. I do have a 5 port 10 base hub though if that helps. I *may* be able to come accross a few extra nic's if need be.

James

13. Nightcrawler13

May 14, 2001
    James,
    Where is your place?
    Lets find a central location and a good date.
    It seems like we are only going to have about 5. Coit and Spring Valley is ok by me.
    We got a 3 day weekend coming up but Sunday evening is bad for me.
    I got Starcraft but suck at it. I am more of a fan of the FPS, but will play anything.

14. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    I could host too, if you wanna do one this weekend. Apt. is @ Northwest Hwy between Marsh & Midway. Not very savvy with tech stuff, but plenty of room and power outlets.

Would love to play Jedi Knight or CivII, or be introduced to other games.

Maybe Saturday night?

15. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    i have an 8 port hub, and enough cat 5 cable to handle 6 to 7 computers, and i have an extra network card.

however i suggest you buy a network card if you dont have one. you want a 10/100 ethernet, and you can get one for around $20+

again, i dont mind hosting either, i just would need more table space. does anyone have access to folding tables?

all those games you guys mentioned sound good to me, i have most of them.

btw, an even number of players is best for any team based gaming.

16. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    or does your apt. complex have a club house we can rent? [mine doesn't]

17. Nightcrawler13

May 14, 2001
    I think we should use someone's house and avoid spending any extra cash. I can only afford free things. :)

18. Jedi_Jarvis

Feb 7, 2001
    Cool, like I said I have alot of MP games, but I can't play FPS. But dont let that stop ya'll.

I'd love to get into a massave XvT game! I can also burn anything that needs to be cloned (only for the party ;)) I have a 12x burner.

I'm also a great RTS player, I dont have AOE, but I've played it and all those in that catagory. I have Warcraft2 and Dune 2000, plus some others that were mentioned.

I also have 2 ethernet cables.

19. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    I've got 2 folding tables we could use.

20. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    cool, with those tables and james's 5 port hub, we'd have room for about 8 or 9 peeps [plus me]

we'll do it at my house, i'll send out directions later. [i live at mockingbird and 75 central.]

i have table space for 3 peeps to setup, i'll push the couches to the side. a folding card table would hold two peeps. if THX_Jedi's tables are at least that big, we'll be set.

so, if we do it this FRIDAY nite say about 8pm would that be ok with you guys?

and i dont want you guys wussing out around 11pm and bailing. only commit to going if you can play til at least 1am.

...................stone
    ps: plus you guys can play my sw arcade
    ps2: also bring any PS2 games and your controlers [and a multi-tap if you have one] cause i wanna race super bombad around your arses

21. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    Cool :cool:

Works for me.

Do you have a change machine for quarters to use in your arcade game? Oh, wait..you wouldn't be as cruel as actually charging us for playing. :D

I'll bring some old Chuck E. Cheese tokens just in case. :p

22. Nightcrawler13

May 14, 2001
    I'll be there! Is there anything else that anyone might need?? I'll bring some extra blank CD's in case they are needed.

23. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    I'm out. Busy Friday eve. and have a journey out of town early Saturday morning to judge a test.

24. stone

Dec 4, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.