main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone interested in a Sept. Lightsaber Building meeting?

Discussion in 'Archive: King of Prussia, PA' started by PadawanNick, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    "I see you've constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete."

Calixte asked me to set this up a while ago, so I figured I'd check first, to see what kind of interest there is in getting together in Sept. to build lightsabers. I know there are several Jedi costumes-in-progress out there, and having your own custom saber in Sept. would provide that extra touch in pleanty of time for Halloween.

The intent of the gathering would be that we'd all start with our own pile of parts and walk out with completed, custom sabers. As an example of what can be done for under $20 ea., you can take a look at these sabers I made for the fan film I'm working on.

I can offer up a make-shift workshop (two-car garage) and a pile of tools including two dremmels, hack saw, metal files, etc. at my house. (about 5 min. from the Lansdale Turnpike exit.)

We could work together on the forum in the weeks leading up to the meeting to discuss designs and parts. Then everyone could show up with parts in hand for final assembly together. (Parts are generally easy to find and cheap to buy. Lots of stuff comes from HomeDepot's plumbing and electrical departments.)

As a finishing touch to the meeting, we can shoot video and photos of everyone with their new sabers and I can add the glowing blades with the effects software being used for my film.

So, anyway, please post here if you're interested and/or have any questsions. If there is enough interest, I'll talk to Calixte about setting up a poll for dates.

Have fun!

2. TenguJedi

TenguJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    I'd be interested, I've already made my own, and want to make a couple more. I would like to build 2 dueling sabers, so far mine is just a hilt. Eventually I'm gonna add an EL blade to one too.

3. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Great! Your exisiting saber looks AWESOME!!

The sabers in my original post all have PVC blades with a wood core for strength. (All the combating characters were played by karate blackbelts so the blades got hit pretty hard.) The blades were painted flourescent colors to add to their visibility at high speeds during filming.

It's pretty easy to add these, but the hilt needs to be designed with the blade in mind from the start. You can always start out with the PVC blade and add the EL blade later if you know the diameter of the EL tube.

Have fun.

4. TenguJedi

Jan 29, 2002
    Thanks :) it's my first try at making one. I have a general Idea about the EL blade, Lighttech sells the EL kit and blade, In fact with a few modifications it will fit my current saber just fine. Money is the main issue with that right now.

5. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    I'm in and I KNOW Iycis wants in too! Plus, I'm pretty sure Maleficant would be interested as well.

J

6. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Heck, my character's not even a Force user, and I might come to the meeting, just to have a lightsaber and to be able to say I made it.

Or, if allowed, I could bring parts for some of the other things I'm making and just hang with ya'll.

7. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Sounds like we're moving.
    Just as one more insentive, I have a video test that shows what the sabers can look like with the effects added.
    You need a free copy of Quicktime on your computer to view this.

(This was filmed against my basement bluescreen and so the background was added too.)

Anyway, here's the 2MEG Quicktime Video File.

Have fun.

8. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    I would be very interested in the workshop.
    Hey that reminds me, Calixte suggested I speak to you about help or tips on finding a flashgun to make a Darth Vader lightsaber replica.
    Also, know anything about plasma sabers?

9. Darth Virru

Darth Virru Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    I'd LOVE to....but I won't be around. :(

10. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Yeah, I'm in for the workshop.

11. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    Here here...I'd love to come and help and be helped. I've got a lot of ideas, and a lot of items...not too much as far as tools go, but i will bring my dremel and bits...and whatever other tools i think will be useful.

12. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Great!!!!
    Thanks for all the replys everyone! It's very useful for me to get an idea of head count this early.

I'll be petitioning for spousal approval on dates this weekend (She's very supportive of me [face_love] , but it's always a good idea to ask before bringing a dozen or so complete strangers into the house ;) . This is especially true when your wife has a black belt in karate.)

One other thought that I had for those of you that might not have parts already...
    I work near KOP, so maybe one day the week before we have the workshop, I could arrange to meet with you at the Toshi Station for some power converters... oops, I mean at the KOP HomeDepot to help you pick out parts.
    Just a thought.

Have fun.

13. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    So Nick, is it advisable to have an idea of what you want your sabre to look like before hand? Or should you just blindly go to the hardware store and if you see something you'd like that might work, get it? I know there are basic things you have to aquire but I'm talking about customizing and that sort of thing. Am I getting ahead of things here? I have no experience with this sort of thing...lol

14. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    It can go either way.
    If you are a designer. I think it's best to start with your design. Draw the exact saber you want, make it exotic or plain functional as you like.

THEN, take a walk through HomeDepot and other HW stores to look for parts that will help you make it.
    Finally, go back and make any minor adjustments to your design knowing any limitations in parts availability.

Personally, I'm good with ideas, but more based on inspirations than starting with a blank slate. I walked through the HomeDepot first, looking at everything that I could imagine as a saber part. As I collected "cool" pieces, I formed ideas about what the finished sabers would looke like.

If you come up with a design in time for next week's meeting, we can talk about how it could be built then!!!!

Have fun!

15. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    OK, so I checked in with my booking agent (wife).
    After she was finished laughing at me, dried her eyes and caught her breath, she, of course, said no problem.

We have a couple things already scheduled in Sept, but the weekend of 14th and 15th currently looks safe. Before I commit to this data, are there any conflicts on that weekend for anyone?

So...
    I've been thinking about my next saber, and I may try to use PVC to simulate a bone or ivory handle, (as if the saber is built into a bone, tooth or horn.) maybe even engrave some scrimshaw.
    Could be cool.

Have fun.

16. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    Hey I thik that is a great idea...any of you who read the novels should remember that tenel-ka used a lightsaber made from a Rancor Bone. I hope this work out for you...but isuppose we'll all be able to see the progress.

17. Mil-jata

Mil-jata Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    Count me in on the lightsaber building.

Nick if possible, could I get directions to your house for this event

Thanks, Tim

18. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Yup. We'll work that all out as the details begin to solidify.

Stay tuned!

Have fun.

19. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Anyone planning their designs yet?

If you need ideas about what can be done with basic HomeDepot hardware, make sure you check out the Big Yellow Box.

If you can, post your ideas and questions here!

Have fun!

20. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Here's a tip for those of you out looking for parts...

CompUSA has those niffty cell-phone snap-on/off belt clip sets for under $5.

These were used in the TPM sabers. The kit contains a belt clip and a small plastic peg that can be screwed into your saber hilt. This setup lets you easily snap your saber on and off your belt.

Next time you're near a CompUSA, or maybe even Micro Center, you may one to pick up a set. The one I got from CompUSA was made by Belkin.

Have fun.

21. TenguJedi

Jan 29, 2002
    Yeah that's the type I used on my saber and Em's guns too.. they are really great. The one I got even had a sticky cell phone holder to hook on the dash of your car... so now I have a Lightsaber holder in my car :D

22. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    i'm gonna work on my design when i return from dragon con. just way too much going on right now to do anything else but work and finish costumes for the con.

:)

23. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    More parts ideas...

Check out the plumbing isle of your local HomeDepot or hardware store. Chrome drain pipe is a great starting point for your saber! It usually comes in a variety of lengths, is cheap (< $5) and is very easy to cut to size with a hack saw and shape with a dremmel.

Also check out the various shower and faucet handles. Some can look really cool as a base or emitter. We can usually figure out how to drill the centers out and attach them to the ends of your main saber hilt.

Stay tuned for more!

Have fun.

24. Silent_Bob_West

Silent_Bob_West Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    At Home Depot, check out the sprinkler section as well. Some of those parts can work too.

25. TenguJedi

Jan 29, 2002
    Don't forget lawnmower gas caps and weedeater bump knobs also make cool end caps (pommels).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.