Anyone know when we can expect AOTC ultimate edition cd?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Lord_Ekud, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Lord_Ekud Jedi Padawan

I don't care what anyone says about the score, I love the music as much as I love the movie.
  2. dolphin Chosen One

star 4
    I'm thinking sometime around early December.
  3. TenorAprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    If you can't wait the month, you could always take the DVD and get the entire audio onto 2 CD's using some free web software.
  4. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Basically, when did the TPM UE come out? December 1999?

That would help us know about the AOTC one. :)

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~
  5. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Sithy, I thought TPM:UE didn't come out until December 2000. :(
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I believe it was Nov of 2000. I got it for my birthday and it was brand new.
  7. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I looked at the copyright date = 2000. Yeah, probably November Stri. I think I got mine as a Christmas gift.
  8. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Oh yah, you're right. :(

Well, actually, to me, that's sorta encouraging.
    I was getting discouraged when it hadn't been announced for this December, but now that I know it shouldn't come out until next year, I'm sorta glad. :D

Of course, I'd still like it right now instead of in like 15 months. :p

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~
  9. TurnedJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Actually, there won't be one.
    Sony says "not to expect an Ultimate Edition."

However, if you want one, go here to help.
  10. TenorAprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, it appears that this site is a petition for people who wish to have the UE be other than what we found in the film, but the unused material.

What I don't get is, why? I understand that the music created and not used could be, and probably is, wonderful. But it was not the score for the movie, because it didn't make the cut! It would be like taking cut arias and the like from an opera, reinserting them, and saying that it is the "completed version" of the opera. The point is, the music was cut and edited for a reason, and the creator of the art made the decision to cut it. This is the problem that film score composers live with, just as former musicians had. Whether this is right or wrong is a completely different discussion. I am sure that for the previous movies, JW has had music cut and edited, and we still loved it. Why then are we so upset now?

Sorry for the rant. I just don't mind the edits and use of music (used and unused) from TPM in the AOTC score. I hope beyond hope that when the EU does come out, it will be like the others: the music from the movie, from start to finish.
  11. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Of course Sony says there won't be an UE. They want everyone to buy the OS out now. (Which most of us have, I suspect.) If they can turn a profit by releasing an UE next year, you can bet that they will do so.
  12. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    My understanding is that Sony said is NOT that there will not be an Ultimate Edition, but rather that there are no current plans for an Ultimate Edition. Big difference there. The latter does not rule out plans down the road.

TurnedJedi: Sony says "not to expect an Ultimate Edition."

You put this in quotes. This implies that Sony actually stated this. Can you post proof of this?

13. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Actually, it appears that this site is a petition for people who wish to have the UE be other than what we found in the film, but the unused material.

What I don't get is, why? I understand that the music created and not used could be, and probably is, wonderful. But it was not the score for the movie, because it didn't make the cut! It would be like taking cut arias and the like from an opera, reinserting them, and saying that it is the "completed version" of the opera. The point is, the music was cut and edited for a reason, and the creator of the art made the decision to cut it.

Wrong. The creator of the art did not edit it. GL did. JW had nothing to do with the edits. What we want to hear is the music as JW scored it for the film, not how GL chopped it up to fit the movie. For instance, a great portion of the final battle music composed by JW was cut from the film; GL replaced it with music from TPM. Why in the hell would I want to buy that again? I want to hear the music JW actually composed for the film.

If we have the music he actually composed, we can then edit it and upload it to the net so that everyone can hear it the way it was in the movie. If we don't get what he composed, then all we'll have is what's in the movie and we'll never get to hear the music as he actually wrote it. As an admirer of JW, I want to hear the music he composed, not the versions someone else edited together as an afterthought. There's still music from TPM that we've not heard, including almost everything JW wrote for the final lightsaber battle between Qui-Gon, Maul and Obi-Wan. Personally, I'm still PO'd about that.
  14. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    TurnedJedi: Sony says "not to expect an Ultimate Edition."

You put this in quotes. This implies that Sony actually stated this. Can you post proof of this?

You could have just said PPOR. :p/>
  15. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Listening to a track of the movie's arena battle music by itself would be a painful experience. :eek:
  16. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I know, I just say AOTC again today.... Some parts work well, but some parts... well, really don't and sound sooooooo bad because of dozens (no joking) edits. :(
  17. TenorAprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    Dehrian, you wrote

Wrong. The creator of the art did not edit it. GL did. JW had nothing to do with the edits. What we want to hear is the music as JW scored it for the film, not how GL chopped it up to fit the movie.

I'm sorry, but this is where you are wrong. The creator of the art, the complete art, is NOT JW but is GL. This is his baby. JW is one of a group of collaborating artists working on a project. As I mentioned, that is one of the limitations that Film Score Composers live with. If they wanted to have total control over their music, they would just compose concert music. However, they are striving to be a part of a medium that is much more profound and effective than concert music.

I was not calling into question your desire of wanting to hear unused music. I just was pointing out that is is a falacy to label this unused music as music from Star Wars. It is not. Illustrated thusly...if a concept artist creates an alien for Star Wars that does not appear in the movie, that character is not a part of the Star Wars universe. Then, if that artist were to use it on a later project, say something like men in black, we would not say that a Star Wars character was crossed over to MIB. If music didn't make the cut, then it just isn't part of AOTC and should not appear on any CD labeled as such.

As a side note, much of the music that is used in the arena battle comes from unused music from TPM, which was then used in video games before AOTC. It could be that the music cut from AOTC was so good, GL wanted to save it for EpIII and not use it now. So it may show up when we least expect it...

18. TurnedJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I read this over at JW.net. Some guy mailed and told Sony that he was looking forward to a release of the full score for AOTC, but

Sony Classical said: ?You're in luck, we have no plans to produce an ULTIMATE EDITION.?

(Sorry for getting the quote wrong in my last post, but the meaning is pretty much the same, if you want the full story, go here .)
  19. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Why in the world would Sony say "You're in luck" if they weren't planning on delivering the goods?

?[face_plain]
  20. TurnedJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Sorry, more clarifications.

They wrote: "You're in luck" because the guy complained about the TPM: UE.
    But he still hoped they would release a CD with full AotC score.
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It is NOT saying the same thing. Saying "There are no plans" does NOT rule out plans in the future. It's politics or in this case marketing. They are wording things carefully so as not to SEEM to be saying no later when they DO have plans to make a UE of AOTC. Then they can say "There WERE no plans but now there ARE plans."

The whole point here is they are saying there are no plans to avoid PR problems in the future and also to encourage people not to hold out for a UE and instead just buy the current one disc release. After all, they want to sell copies.

Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.